Trademark

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is off the topic, but I wanted to warn you all especially those who have larger inns about playing music.
We use the music off the Bose stereo or Dish Network which has music channels.
I know we have discussed the fact that technically we must purchase a license to do so.
I have always figured, "who would go after a two (now three, soon four) room B&B?"
The wineries in our area are all much much smaller than those in Napa, California. If you would have told me last year this was going to happen I would have laughed you off.
The industry went to three wineries I know for sure and probably every winery in our area, fined them, and made them pay $2000 for a yearly license to play music. They must be out looking to replace the income they are losing.
I understand the only way out of this if they come knocking is to be playing original music with permission of the author. So I may start looking to purchase CDs of local musicians and get their consent to play.
No, I still don't think the industry will show up at my door, but we have lots of local music so I may as well pick up some and offer it for sale in the inn to support local business anyway.
RIki.
This has not happened to us but it did happen locally. They called to ask what music the guest house played during meals. 10 days later, the guest house got a bill for the music fees. This was an isolated call as far as I know because we asked around if anywhere else that served meals got the call.
So, be warned they do not have to show up to send a bill.
I'm not sure a local artist CAN give you permission if they are with a record label.
We don't play music here, but if we did it would off the satellite dish as they KNOW we are a business and charge us accordingly.
Madeleine said:
This has not happened to us but it did happen locally. They called to ask what music the guest house played during meals. 10 days later, the guest house got a bill for the music fees. This was an isolated call as far as I know because we asked around if anywhere else that served meals got the call.
I'm not sure a local artist CAN give you permission if they are with a record label.
We don't play music here, but if we did it would off the satellite dish as they KNOW we are a business and charge us accordingly.
I'm not talking about a local artist that recorded with a major record lable. I'm talking about the artists who have their own CDs done here locally in a rented studio.
RIki
Riki, it's a great idea to find local artists and play their music. You can buy a few of their CDs and offer them for sale. That's a win, win for everybody.
Breakfast Diva said:
Riki, it's a great idea to find local artists and play their music. You can buy a few of their CDs and offer them for sale. That's a win, win for everybody.
Yep. Now we have the ABC going around and telling the wineries we cannot pay our guests' tasting fees. I'm so sick of all this infernal red tape. Now I can't do my all-inclusive wine tour. Even if we lower our rates it's still not all inclusive. Dumb bureaucrats.
Riki

This is off the topic, but I wanted to warn you all especially those who have larger inns about playing music.
I know we have discussed the fact that technically we must purchase a license to do so.
I have always figured, "who would go after a two (now three, soon four) room B&B?"
The wineries in our area are all much much smaller than those in Napa, California. If you would have told me last year this was going to happen I would have laughed you off.
The industry went to three wineries I know for sure and probably every winery in our area, fined them, and made them pay $2000 for a yearly license to play music. They must be out looking to replace the income they are losing.
I understand the only way out of this if they come knocking is to be playing original music with permission of the author. So I may start looking to purchase CDs of local musicians and get their consent to play.
No, I still don't think the industry will show up at my door, but we have lots of local music so I may as well pick up some and offer it for sale in the inn to support local business anyway.
RIki.
Madeleine said:
I'm not talking about a local artist that recorded with a major record lable. I'm talking about the artists who have their own CDs done here locally in a rented studio.
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
Yep. Now we have the ABC going around and telling the wineries we cannot pay our guests' tasting fees. I'm so sick of all this infernal red tape. Now I can't do my all-inclusive wine tour. Even if we lower our rates it's still not all inclusive. Dumb bureaucrats.
Riki
Rikki....are you kidding, does it really matter if you pay the winery fee on behalf of the guest or if the guest pays? Really....is the commission saying you are buying alcohol? Isn't this just like a package where a guest gets a dinner at a local restaurant as part of the package and it includes a bottle of champagne?
Or what about the packages that include champagne and strawberries? Does it look like they will stop that too?

RIki.
Madeleine said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
Riki
Rikki....are you kidding, does it really matter if you pay the winery fee on behalf of the guest or if the guest pays? Really....is the commission saying you are buying alcohol? Isn't this just like a package where a guest gets a dinner at a local restaurant as part of the package and it includes a bottle of champagne?
Or what about the packages that include champagne and strawberries? Does it look like they will stop that too?
Unless I have a Beer & Wine license I cannot include wine in a package - we are considered selling it because they consider the cost of the wine (champagne) is included in the package price. That is one reason I did the sparkling cider.

RIki.
Madeleine said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
Riki
Around here it matters. I cannot offer wine in a room package because I do not have a license to sell alcohol. If the guest pays me for the package and the package includes alcohol I have sold the guest the alcohol. I also cannot GIVE alcohol away for the same reason.
So, long time guests who I know love a nice bottle of wine? They're gonna have to buy it at the store, I cannot even gift it to them.
Not the same as dinner at a restaurant because I am not providing the alcohol, the licensed restaurant is.
If a guest wants a bottle of wine in the room on arrival? (Not something I offer but people do ask.) I tell them they have to call the wine shop and order it. They deliver it right to the room, I never touch it.
Can't do cooking classes- no commercial kitchen. Can't do afternoon tea- no commercial kitchen and no license. Can't do afternoon refreshments that aren't pre-packaged and unopened when served to the guests- not in the purview of a B&B to offer 'meals' after 11 AM.
And no one seems to know why. Can't get an answer from the state on anything.
We also (statewide, not B&B's per se) cannot buy wine online. Why? Because teenagers will be lining up on the doorstep to snatch that wine delivery right out of the UPS gal's hands and run off cackling into the woods to get drunk and then get in their cars and cause mayhem on the roads driving while intoxicated.
Recently overturned ruling is one that prohibits anyone under the age of 18 from even SEEING someone tasting wine at a wine tasting in a store. Little shops had to paper over their streetside windows to prevent kids from lining up outside to watch adults take wee sips of wine while listening to the wine importer extoll to virtues of that vintage. Wine shop owner's CHILDREN could not be on the premises. (Interesting problem when they live on site. They had to stay away whenever there was a tasting or be confined to their rooms.) Adults popping in to buy a bottle of wine for dinner had to lock their kids in the car to come in and buy wine.
PS- prohibition supposedly started here in the 1850's and by gum it ain't over yet! We still have dry towns.

RIki.
Madeleine said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
Riki
Weaver said:
The B&B is a separate company and regs than the wine tour company.
I have a B&B license and the sparkling wine that comes with the room is $9 of the room rate.
I am not allowed to give it to them as that is "enticement"
The reason they are telling the wineries we cannot pay for the tours is the same "enticement"
Once of the winereries is owned by a lawyer who has spent huge amounts of his own money in Richmond (captial) working on getting the laws more reasonable.
They are totally oblivious to the fact that the wine industry is bringing huge amounts of tax dollars here.
RIki

RIki.
Madeleine said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
Riki
Around here it matters. I cannot offer wine in a room package because I do not have a license to sell alcohol. If the guest pays me for the package and the package includes alcohol I have sold the guest the alcohol. I also cannot GIVE alcohol away for the same reason.
So, long time guests who I know love a nice bottle of wine? They're gonna have to buy it at the store, I cannot even gift it to them.
Not the same as dinner at a restaurant because I am not providing the alcohol, the licensed restaurant is.
If a guest wants a bottle of wine in the room on arrival? (Not something I offer but people do ask.) I tell them they have to call the wine shop and order it. They deliver it right to the room, I never touch it.
Can't do cooking classes- no commercial kitchen. Can't do afternoon tea- no commercial kitchen and no license. Can't do afternoon refreshments that aren't pre-packaged and unopened when served to the guests- not in the purview of a B&B to offer 'meals' after 11 AM.
And no one seems to know why. Can't get an answer from the state on anything.
We also (statewide, not B&B's per se) cannot buy wine online. Why? Because teenagers will be lining up on the doorstep to snatch that wine delivery right out of the UPS gal's hands and run off cackling into the woods to get drunk and then get in their cars and cause mayhem on the roads driving while intoxicated.
Recently overturned ruling is one that prohibits anyone under the age of 18 from even SEEING someone tasting wine at a wine tasting in a store. Little shops had to paper over their streetside windows to prevent kids from lining up outside to watch adults take wee sips of wine while listening to the wine importer extoll to virtues of that vintage. Wine shop owner's CHILDREN could not be on the premises. (Interesting problem when they live on site. They had to stay away whenever there was a tasting or be confined to their rooms.) Adults popping in to buy a bottle of wine for dinner had to lock their kids in the car to come in and buy wine.
PS- prohibition supposedly started here in the 1850's and by gum it ain't over yet! We still have dry towns.
West Virginia used to be one of the wettest Dry States. You could only get "near beer" (3.5% alchohol) and liquor by the drink was only in private clubs (membership sold at the door for 50 cents). Bottles of booze was sold only in the State Liquor Store. I forget when things got real (they probably had a run of deaths from bad shine) and they realized just how much tax money was being lost so things got legalized.

RIki.
Madeleine said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
Riki
Unless I have a Beer & Wine license I cannot include wine in a package - we are considered selling it because they consider the cost of the wine (champagne) is included in the package price. That is one reason I did the sparkling cider.
It is really interesting (not that I didn't know this already) how different the regs are for this or that from one county or state to another.
My soon to be new home state limits to 5 rooms in the main house, but unlimited cottages. I can give a guest a glass of wine or beer (no hard liquor) any time I want. I can even feed them dinner if I so choose, as long as the kitchen is inspected, does not have to be commercial with commercial equipment, just a separate hand washing sink, and the cleaning supplies must be in a locked cabinet - but that applies to brekkie as well as dinner.
I can't serve anyone anything if they are not a lodging customer, however, I can feed the lodging customers anything I want anytime I want as long as it ain't liquor or poison. ;-)
I can (and this came straight from the ABC people) have a bottle of wine and glasses in the room, for the guest to enjoy, and I am not required to do this for every guest of every room, but may choose to do so if I feel it will be appreciated. She knew and I knew exactly what she was saying, and how to do what I want without having to go through the ABC licensing.

RIki.
Madeleine said:
RIki
Breakfast Diva said:
Riki
It is really interesting (not that I didn't know this already) how different the regs are for this or that from one county or state to another.
My soon to be new home state limits to 5 rooms in the main house, but unlimited cottages. I can give a guest a glass of wine or beer (no hard liquor) any time I want. I can even feed them dinner if I so choose, as long as the kitchen is inspected, does not have to be commercial with commercial equipment, just a separate hand washing sink, and the cleaning supplies must be in a locked cabinet - but that applies to brekkie as well as dinner.
I can't serve anyone anything if they are not a lodging customer, however, I can feed the lodging customers anything I want anytime I want as long as it ain't liquor or poison. ;-)
I can (and this came straight from the ABC people) have a bottle of wine and glasses in the room, for the guest to enjoy, and I am not required to do this for every guest of every room, but may choose to do so if I feel it will be appreciated. She knew and I knew exactly what she was saying, and how to do what I want without having to go through the ABC licensing.
In WV, 6 rooms or less are not required to have a commercial kitchen and can serve registered guests any meal as long as there is no alcohol.

egoodell said:
They are totally oblivious to the fact that the wine industry is bringing huge amounts of tax dollars here.
Drives me crazy. We deal with that on the local level all the time. So many people are just more interested in showing they have authority than in using common sense and working for the common good.
Could you charge it as all-inclusive at time of booking, then give them the money at tasting time to go pay for the tasting themselves? Seems like most people would understand when you explain they have to personally hand over the money for their tasting.

Back