Traditional or contemporary?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
So, now we have the big question...paint color. I thought we had the colors picked out and today it was put to me- should we stay with the traditional colors of the period of our house, go contemporary, go somewhere in between?
I'm planning ahead. Changing the colors over time to something more 'modern.' Sort of thinking about Jay's query of do we consider the next generation of inn goers. Do I appeal to them with more modern colors, or stick with the traditional color scheme of the 1800's? Or, a mix?

I always remember GG talking about outdated wall paper in B&B's, ie not from this century nor the era of the house. I guess it depends on how the place is decorated?

I always remember GG talking about outdated wall paper in B&B's, ie not from this century nor the era of the house. I guess it depends on how the place is decorated?.
It's ALL wallpaper right now. I'm moving away from it. There are some beautiful papers out there. (just think what's his name whose wife just redid their inn...sorry, what's his name, I'm terrible with names but you know who you are!)
But paper is more permanent than paint. And my paper is from the wrong '80's! Some of them look really good, true colors & styles to the right time period, but others I can tell were selected because they were trying to keep a theme but ran out of color options.
The living room is the transition room. You walk into the wallpapered dining room and then thru the living room to get to the rooms. This will be the transition. Next year the hallway wallpaper will come down (and I'll probably put some beadboard along the stairs to keep the luggage from punching a hole to the outside!)
But I need the living room to not clash with the dining room right now. In that regard I went with a more modern color palette. So, back to the drawing board. I'm sticking with modern but going with different colors. Gomez thought the original option was too bright. Not relaxing enough. I wanted high energy...get out of the house, go do something colors!

I always remember GG talking about outdated wall paper in B&B's, ie not from this century nor the era of the house. I guess it depends on how the place is decorated?.
It's ALL wallpaper right now. I'm moving away from it. There are some beautiful papers out there. (just think what's his name whose wife just redid their inn...sorry, what's his name, I'm terrible with names but you know who you are!)
But paper is more permanent than paint. And my paper is from the wrong '80's! Some of them look really good, true colors & styles to the right time period, but others I can tell were selected because they were trying to keep a theme but ran out of color options.
The living room is the transition room. You walk into the wallpapered dining room and then thru the living room to get to the rooms. This will be the transition. Next year the hallway wallpaper will come down (and I'll probably put some beadboard along the stairs to keep the luggage from punching a hole to the outside!)
But I need the living room to not clash with the dining room right now. In that regard I went with a more modern color palette. So, back to the drawing board. I'm sticking with modern but going with different colors. Gomez thought the original option was too bright. Not relaxing enough. I wanted high energy...get out of the house, go do something colors!
Hahaha! I love this idea of effecting guest experience with color...vibrant, bright...go do something! Maybe that's my whole problem with my hang-arounds, my colors are too soothing...too bad though 'cause I'm NOT repainting any of it any time soon!!!!!

i tend to like traditional colors that match the house. if you look at some of the paint choices, go in to a paint store, you will see so many ideas. i bought sample paints and painted a bit on a couple walls to see how it looked in the daylight and at night.
i notice that two of my three children decorate their homes with modern furniture and deep, bold colors ... while the third goes with antique and vintage furnishings and muted tones with splashes of accent color.
it's interesting to me to see the new owners in my parents' home getting rid of the dated colors and fixtures that i remember were so modern at the time my parents got them. my mother was wild for copper. and wood paneling.
paint is so 'easy' to change (famous last words) you can always kick it up, or take it down, a notch ... i have to live with what i like but it's fun to experiment. it's still your home.

i tend to like traditional colors that match the house. if you look at some of the paint choices, go in to a paint store, you will see so many ideas. i bought sample paints and painted a bit on a couple walls to see how it looked in the daylight and at night.
i notice that two of my three children decorate their homes with modern furniture and deep, bold colors ... while the third goes with antique and vintage furnishings and muted tones with splashes of accent color.
it's interesting to me to see the new owners in my parents' home getting rid of the dated colors and fixtures that i remember were so modern at the time my parents got them. my mother was wild for copper. and wood paneling.
paint is so 'easy' to change (famous last words) you can always kick it up, or take it down, a notch ... i have to live with what i like but it's fun to experiment. it's still your home..
I know paint is easier than paper to change, but. I want it done now and done now. Repainting would only happen next Jan. And by then I want to be onto the next project. You know how it is to be pressed for the time, worried you'll just get up on the ladder and someone will want a tour of the inn for their wedding in Oct! Having to clean everything up, hope it's dry and then wait for walk-ins.
Anyway...we changed from 'buttered yam' and 'sweet butter' to 'warm nutmeg' and 'green tea.' I'm happy with the change even tho these colors will not be 'get out the door' colors! I can do a lot with these colors when I start doing the rooms.

So many of those deep-toned traditional colors are really similar to colors now considered to be contemporary, I'm sure you'll end up with the perfect one.

I really liked the sweet butter you had picked out. The greet tea is nice too but on my screen the nutmeg has a pink tinge..? I'm trying to remember the colors of your dining area, they are browns/tans and greens???

I really liked the sweet butter you had picked out. The greet tea is nice too but on my screen the nutmeg has a pink tinge..? I'm trying to remember the colors of your dining area, they are browns/tans and greens???.
The nutmeg is 'rosy.' These colors are from the Behr collection, not Benjamin Moore, so they may be a little different. The dining room is more tan, brown, red and green. I think we're pulling the brown thru and changing the green from a dark to a light.

I really liked the sweet butter you had picked out. The greet tea is nice too but on my screen the nutmeg has a pink tinge..? I'm trying to remember the colors of your dining area, they are browns/tans and greens???.
The nutmeg is 'rosy.' These colors are from the Behr collection, not Benjamin Moore, so they may be a little different. The dining room is more tan, brown, red and green. I think we're pulling the brown thru and changing the green from a dark to a light.
Sounds lovely. And the warm nutmeg is nice; just enough of a rosey tone to give it plenty of, well, warmth.

Sounds lovely. And the warm nutmeg is nice; just enough of a rosey tone to give it plenty of, well, warmth.
Innkeeper To Go said:
That's exactly why we keep coming back to this particular 'brown.' The others are 'too green,' 'too yellow,' 'too something.' But this one is just right.

Don't know if this will help... and our house is kinda both contemporary and traditional...
I always start with what decor and furnishings I know will be in the room and pick a color scheme that goes... Music has a big brown painting so the paint is cream and the curtains are black and gold and all the colors are rich. English has these two gold framed paintings, paint color is also creamy but the curtains are gold and the whole scheme is gold with brown.
The main thing I've found on decor is to listen to what the house is telling you. My friend who has a converted Amish house has country decor, and it's perfect. I live in town, and have a city house... country would look and feel odd.
Your dining room is lovely, and having a "modern" color in the living room (or at least, something that transitions well) would be pretty.
=)
Kk.

Don't know if this will help... and our house is kinda both contemporary and traditional...
I always start with what decor and furnishings I know will be in the room and pick a color scheme that goes... Music has a big brown painting so the paint is cream and the curtains are black and gold and all the colors are rich. English has these two gold framed paintings, paint color is also creamy but the curtains are gold and the whole scheme is gold with brown.
The main thing I've found on decor is to listen to what the house is telling you. My friend who has a converted Amish house has country decor, and it's perfect. I live in town, and have a city house... country would look and feel odd.
Your dining room is lovely, and having a "modern" color in the living room (or at least, something that transitions well) would be pretty.
=)
Kk..
I agree. The house really does tell you - if you listen to it. My favorite color is green but green is not found anywhere in my house (except as trim and in the kitchen). The house told me to use pink and burgundy as the main colors. I have a cream color in 2 guestrooms and in the dining room. The Library, foyer, and the main guestroom are all shades of pink (more purple pink than red pink) on the walls with the burgundy in rugs and trim. The guestrooms with cream walls have sage trim.

=)
Kk..
'Listen to the house' is why we waited so long to do anything. One time, we had taken all the furniture out of a room to clean the carpet and when we went to put it back, I couldn't put it the way it had been, it just wasn't 'right.' So after cleaning the carpets we rearranged the room, took down the lights that had been over the bed, hung a picture to cover the damage to the wallpaper and haven't looked back.
Same thing with another room.
They just were not laid out right and it took living with the rooms to see that.

Back