Traffic leaks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Google Analytics and I have a Funnel and Goal set up (the funnel being the pages that a guest must follow to complete a booking and the "goal" is the completed booking page).
My goal conversion rate since 1st Jan 2010 is 0.66%.
Is that good? I've no idea!
That also ignores people who rather than book online will email an enquiry, or phone up with their card details because they don't like entering it over the Internet.
On our guest feedback form the first question is "What were the key factors influencing your decision to book with us", 44% of respondents said our web site..
HJ- What was the process you went thru to come up with the 'answers' the guest can select for why they chose your place?
I'm curious as I don't ask that, but it's an excellent question. And I'm wondering what the guest is thinking as they select a particular answer.
So, example is the 44% of guests answering it was your website. (What made the other 56% book? What other answers could they select?)
But, the 44%...what does the answer mean?
  • You're the only place with a website?
  • Your website actually functions?
  • Your website places higher than anyone else in your area?
  • Your website is a work of art that grabs the viewer by the lapels and shouts, 'If you don't book here, you're an idiot'?
  • Your website gave the viewer info no one else did? (I say this after looking for a place to stay last Nov. 99% of the sites I looked at in my target area did NOT tell me they were CLOSED in Nov until I reached the calendar! The ONE place that said 'Open year round' is the one that got my booking because I was tired of looking. Best place? Probably not, but they put some effort into telling guests what they needed to know.)
  • The guest is thinking, 'Oh bloody hell, what's the first answer in the list so I can get on with this?'
I think knowing what the guest was thinking as they selected the answer is as important as the answer they chose. I had a couple of directories I failed to pay for still listed in my 'Where did you find us?' list. Months after we were removed from those sites, but before I got around to taking them out of the list, guests were still selecting them. OK, it's possible they really DID find us on those sites and waited forever to book, but not likely. More likely they picked something that 'sounded' right.
Let me expand on my 44%, becuase I think it will be of interest.
Last year I decided that I need to know why people choose to stay with us over and above our competitors, so that I could better design our new web site emphasising these aspects. SO I added the question "Which of the following factors were most influential in your decision to book xx?" to our feedback form.
Answers
  • Recommendation
  • TA reviews
  • 4 star rating
  • Green tourism Gold award
  • Our web site
  • Travel Awards
  • Proximity to xx (local eatery)
  • Stayed with us before
It's a multiple choice question and most people tick multiple answers. Of the 112 people who have replied so far 44% ticked "our web site" (that's 44% of the people, not 44% of the ticks). Many people say how much they liked our web site, so I interpret this number as meaning our web site had all the information they needed and clinched the deal.
What are the top and bottom answers? Top is "Proximity to Loch Ness" at 49% and bottom is Travel Awards at 4.5%. TA comes out at 25%
Morticia Said:-
  • You're the only place with a website? Most definately not, ours is home grown so it's not as flash and professionally deisnged as others but I think it has a lot more relevant information than most. It's also a simple design, easily nativated.
  • Your website actually functions? Yes
  • Your website places higher than anyone else in your area? Pretty Much, I think that's importnat getting people to your site, but it's the contents that gets the booking, hence 44%
  • Your website is a work of art that grabs the viewer by the lapels and shouts, 'If you don't book here, you're an idiot'? No, see above.
  • Your website gave the viewer info no one else did? (I say this after looking for a place to stay last Nov. 99% of the sites I looked at in my target area did NOT tell me they were CLOSED in Nov until I reached the calendar! The ONE place that said 'Open year round' is the one that got my booking because I was tired of looking. Best place? Probably not, but they put some effort into telling guests what they needed to know.). I think having the information that matches the reason people are looking for a place is important, hence this question on our feedback form.
  • The guest is thinking, 'Oh bloody hell, what's the first answer in the list so I can get on with this?'. I don't think so, there's nothing to make people fill it out, it just sits in their room and most fill it before checkout. Many add extra comments and suggestions (1 or 2 are even useful
    regular_smile.gif
    ).

I use Google Analytics and I have a Funnel and Goal set up (the funnel being the pages that a guest must follow to complete a booking and the "goal" is the completed booking page).
That also ignores people who rather than book online will email an enquiry, or phone up with their card details because they don't like entering it over the Internet.
On our guest feedback form the first question is "What were the key factors influencing your decision to book with us", 44% of respondents said our web site..
HJ- What was the process you went thru to come up with the 'answers' the guest can select for why they chose your place?
I'm curious as I don't ask that, but it's an excellent question. And I'm wondering what the guest is thinking as they select a particular answer.
So, example is the 44% of guests answering it was your website. (What made the other 56% book? What other answers could they select?)
  • Your website is a work of art that grabs the viewer by the lapels and shouts, 'If you don't book here, you're an idiot'?
  • Your website gave the viewer info no one else did? (I say this after looking for a place to stay last Nov. 99% of the sites I looked at in my target area did NOT tell me they were CLOSED in Nov until I reached the calendar! The ONE place that said 'Open year round' is the one that got my booking because I was tired of looking. Best place? Probably not, but they put some effort into telling guests what they needed to know.)
  • The guest is thinking, 'Oh bloody hell, what's the first answer in the list so I can get on with this?'
I think knowing what the guest was thinking as they selected the answer is as important as the answer they chose. I had a couple of directories I failed to pay for still listed in my 'Where did you find us?' list. Months after we were removed from those sites, but before I got around to taking them out of the list, guests were still selecting them. OK, it's possible they really DID find us on those sites and waited forever to book, but not likely. More likely they picked something that 'sounded' right.
Last year I decided that I need to know why people choose to stay with us over and above our competitors, so that I could better design our new web site emphasising these aspects. SO I added the question "Which of the following factors were most influential in your decision to book xx?" to our feedback form.
Answers
  • Recommendation
  • TA reviews
  • 4 star rating
  • Our web site
  • Travel Awards
  • Stayed with us before
It's a multiple choice question and most people tick multiple answers. Of the 112 people who have replied so far 44% ticked "our web site" (that's 44% of the people, not 44% of the ticks). Many people say how much they liked our web site, so I interpret this number as meaning our web site had all the information they needed and clinched the deal.
What are the top and bottom answers? Top is "Proximity to Loch Ness" at 49% and bottom is Travel Awards at 4.5%. TA comes out at 25%
  • You're the only place with a website? Most definately not, ours is home grown so it's not as flash and professionally deisnged as others but I think it has a lot more relevant information than most. It's also a simple design, easily nativated.
  • Your website places higher than anyone else in your area? Pretty Much, I think that's importnat getting people to your site, but it's the contents that gets the booking, hence 44%
  • Your website is a work of art that grabs the viewer by the lapels and shouts, 'If you don't book here, you're an idiot'? No, see above.
  • Your website gave the viewer info no one else did? (I say this after looking for a place to stay last Nov. 99% of the sites I looked at in my target area did NOT tell me they were CLOSED in Nov until I reached the calendar! The ONE place that said 'Open year round' is the one that got my booking because I was tired of looking. Best place? Probably not, but they put some effort into telling guests what they needed to know.). I think having the information that matches the reason people are looking for a place is important, hence this question on our feedback form.
  • The guest is thinking, 'Oh bloody hell, what's the first answer in the list so I can get on with this?'. I don't think so, there's nothing to make people fill it out, it just sits in their room and most fill it before checkout. Many add extra comments and suggestions (1 or 2 are even useful
    regular_smile.gif
    ).
HJ wrote in response to the question: The guest is thinking, 'Oh bloody hell, what's the first answer in the list so I can get on with this?'.
I don't think so, there's nothing to make people fill it out, it just sits in their room and most fill it before checkout. Many add extra comments and suggestions
This is interesting. So this is in their guest room, not on the website to be completed when they book. I wonder how many remember what the factors were? I think you would have the most clear results if this were on your booking page and/or part of your booking spiel when they call.

Answers
  • Recommendation
  • TA reviews
  • 4 star rating
  • Our web site
  • Travel Awards
  • Stayed with us before
    regular_smile.gif
    ).
HJ wrote in response to the question: The guest is thinking, 'Oh bloody hell, what's the first answer in the list so I can get on with this?'.
I don't think so, there's nothing to make people fill it out, it just sits in their room and most fill it before checkout. Many add extra comments and suggestions
This is interesting. So this is in their guest room, not on the website to be completed when they book. I wonder how many remember what the factors were? I think you would have the most clear results if this were on your booking page and/or part of your booking spiel when they call.
We do have a "How did you find us" queston on our booking form, but I think this is more unreliable. When the options have got out of date on our web site people still select sources that no longer exist or we don't use anymore.
I think Morticia's " 'Oh bloody hell, what's the first answer in the list so I can get on with this?'." is even more relevant on the booking form because they just want to book.
I think if you asked something like "How did you find our web site?" on a feedback form in the room people wouldn't remeber so would tick something, but I think people have a better idea of something more vague, like why did you choose us.
I accept that if you were going to argue as to whether the %age should be 40 or 50 as apposed to 44% I wouldn't have a clue, but as an overall guide as to what's important to emphasise on your web site I think it works pretty well.
I also appreciate that much more useful information would be to ask the people that didn't book "Why not?", but that's a bit more difficult.
regular_smile.gif

HJ would be great to delve deeper, as for us it is 100% our website, but going deeper was it the ease of booking? Was it your great photos and blog? Was it your personality? Was it your green-ness? I think it is fantastic to look into this and I applaud you. People can be more specific now than just a couple years ago when they all used to answer "Found you on the internet."
This is something we need to do from time to time for sure. I speak to people and usually know why they are here in person. Like our Canadian who was here to buy a sailboat who just sailed away...another on a GC who would never have stayed at a B&B otherwise and she is a teacher going back to school tomorrow for the new school year, another couple on their one year anniv w/cake in hand here for three nights to do mountain, lakes, and stay in our little love shack.

Answers
  • Recommendation
  • TA reviews
  • 4 star rating
  • Our web site
  • Travel Awards
  • Stayed with us before
    regular_smile.gif
    ).
AH! This is a 'during the visit' questionnaire, not something they tick when they are booking. My mistake.

Answers
  • Recommendation
  • TA reviews
  • 4 star rating
  • Our web site
  • Travel Awards
  • Stayed with us before
    regular_smile.gif
    ).
copperhead said:
Not always. There are helpful people and then there are the 'bloody hell just let me book' people who will choose anything just to proceed.

Answers
  • Recommendation
  • TA reviews
  • 4 star rating
  • Our web site
  • Travel Awards
  • Stayed with us before
    regular_smile.gif
    ).
AH! This is a 'during the visit' questionnaire, not something they tick when they are booking. My mistake.
Morticia said:
Sorry. I didn't make that very clear. Yes. It's a piece of paper in the guest rooms.

Be careful who you link to (avoid linking to sites where the user may find your competition) and always open in new / blank window.

Back