Traffic ranking on Alexa?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjsgeorgia

Reaction score
I checked our place on Alexa but don't understand the results...what does that traffic ranking number mean?
Mary Jo

All I know is THIS IS COOL - WAYBACK MACHINE see how your website looked in the past. If you have a URL that has been around for a while. Cool feature!
moz-screenshot-12.jpg

Old images are there, oh brother that one is AWFUL!!!!! (On our site from 2001)

All I know is THIS IS COOL - WAYBACK MACHINE see how your website looked in the past. If you have a URL that has been around for a while. Cool feature!
moz-screenshot-12.jpg

Old images are there, oh brother that one is AWFUL!!!!! (On our site from 2001).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
moz-screenshot-12.jpg

Old images are there, oh brother that one is AWFUL!!!!! (On our site from 2001)
Ditto our site. You can 'watch me learn FrontPage'. Not a pretty sight/site.

The traffic ranking number basically just pits your site against the other 60 bazillion sites and says, 'This is how far from number one you are.' Let's face it, none of us will ever be ranked first (in viewings) as long as we are B&B owners.
It wouldn't return results for Microsoft, but IBM was 466.
Bandb.com is 24,805.
bbonline is 38,459.
bnbfinder is 143,599
All of my competition does WAAAAAAY better than I do in rankings. I don't know if I should worry or not.

The traffic ranking number basically just pits your site against the other 60 bazillion sites and says, 'This is how far from number one you are.' Let's face it, none of us will ever be ranked first (in viewings) as long as we are B&B owners.
Bandb.com is 24,805.
bbonline is 38,459.
bnbfinder is 143,599
All of my competition does WAAAAAAY better than I do in rankings. I don't know if I should worry or not..
Bree, you do not HAVE competition! None of the other inns in your city have YOU & Hubs.

Bandb.com is 24,805.
bbonline is 38,459.
bnbfinder is 143,599
All of my competition does WAAAAAAY better than I do in rankings. I don't know if I should worry or not..
Bree, you do not HAVE competition! None of the other inns in your city have YOU & Hubs.
gillumhouse said:
Well, ain't that the truth! But, I DO have competition and if this Alexa thing is right, they are being searched out more than I am. Or, they are being FOUND more than I am. Not sure exactly which it is. I might want to know so I can change things up a bit. Anyway, altho the email was spam, the info is not.

Here's the verbiage right from the site:
[h3]What is Traffic Rank?[/h3]The traffic rank is based on three months of aggregated historical traffic data from millions of Alexa Toolbar users and data obtained from other, diverse traffic data sources, and is a combined measure of page views and users (reach). As a first step, Alexa computes the reach and number of page views for all sites on the Web on a daily basis. The main Alexa traffic rank is based on a value derived from these two quantities averaged over time (so that the rank of a site reflects both the number of users who visit that site as well as the number of pages on the site viewed by those users). The three-month change is determined by comparing the site's current rank with its rank from three months ago. For example, on July 1, the three-month change would show the difference between the rank based on traffic during the first quarter of the year and the rank based on traffic during the second quarter.

Alexa's sample is pretty small, especially when looking at a niche market like your B&B. It is easilly swayed for niches. If you install the alexa toolbar you will likely see your rating compared to others in your area increase quite a bit. I would bet that some of the highest in your area have the alexa toolbar installed.
But even if you installed the Alexa toolbar and raised your Alexa score (by lowering it) there would be no change because the data is not used for anything. It is an effect in search of a cause LOL

Alexa's sample is pretty small, especially when looking at a niche market like your B&B. It is easilly swayed for niches. If you install the alexa toolbar you will likely see your rating compared to others in your area increase quite a bit. I would bet that some of the highest in your area have the alexa toolbar installed.
But even if you installed the Alexa toolbar and raised your Alexa score (by lowering it) there would be no change because the data is not used for anything. It is an effect in search of a cause LOL.
swirt said:
But even if you installed the Alexa toolbar and raised your Alexa score (by lowering it) there would be no change because the data is not used for anything. It is an effect in search of a cause LOL
But, it does inidcate that they are getting more 'traffic' doesn't it? Or, does just having the toolbar raise (lower) the ranking number?

But even if you installed the Alexa toolbar and raised your Alexa score (by lowering it) there would be no change because the data is not used for anything. It is an effect in search of a cause LOL.
swirt said:
But, it does inidcate that they are getting more 'traffic' doesn't it? Or, does just having the toolbar raise (lower) the ranking number?
It only indicates more traffic from people with the Alexatoolbar installed. That's already a small sample and for small niches it is so small that one person who visits the site regularly can rather dramatically alter the rating.

swirt said:
It only indicates more traffic from people with the Alexatoolbar installed. That's already a small sample and for small niches it is so small that one person who visits the site regularly can rather dramatically alter the rating.
swirt said:
Ah ha! So what you're saying is if the other guys have it installed, and they visit their own websites, it shows a better ranking? I have my website as my homepage for Firefox. If I had the Alexa toolbar, then everytime I launched Firefox it would show as a 'visit' to my site?

swirt said:
swirt said:
Ah ha! So what you're saying is if the other guys have it installed, and they visit their own websites, it shows a better ranking? I have my website as my homepage for Firefox. If I had the Alexa toolbar, then everytime I launched Firefox it would show as a 'visit' to my site?
Exactly. And for clarity, there is not actual benefit for you to do that. A better score will not influence traffic in any way. The only reason it would ever have some value would be if you were trying to sell your business then you could show people a comparison between your rating and others in your area....they might not realize that the rating is not very meaningful.

Take a look at Quantcast. www.quantcast.com. We've openly encourage all B&B directories to use their free product - it gives you a very precise view of traffic on any site. Much more accurate than alexa (if you are using the quantcast code on your site). Accuracy varies dramatically if you do not use it. Still not sure why all directories to not tag their sites and put their traffic stats out there for the public to see. I think to this point in time only we do, iloveinns does, and I don't believe any of the other directories.

Take a look at Quantcast. www.quantcast.com. We've openly encourage all B&B directories to use their free product - it gives you a very precise view of traffic on any site. Much more accurate than alexa (if you are using the quantcast code on your site). Accuracy varies dramatically if you do not use it. Still not sure why all directories to not tag their sites and put their traffic stats out there for the public to see. I think to this point in time only we do, iloveinns does, and I don't believe any of the other directories..
What a sweet pair! Congrats.

Back