training back ups?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
We got a call yesterday that our teenage daughter was being transported to the hospital with neck injuries from a inner tubing/boating accident. She was an hour and half away! Forutnately we didn't have any guests. She ended up being ok, with just bruising and swelling on the spine and was released from the hospital this afternoon.
But this really made me think about training someone who can come in a moments notice in the event of an emergency! We spent the night in the hospital with her, but what if it had been really serious and they would have had to do surgery (they were suspecting they would)?
We do have guests tonight and I would not have wanted to leave her side. She was scared to death as it was when they told her they suspected spinal chord injury.
Do you all have back up's that can fill in for you? What do you do?

Of course not. However I do have a friend that would probably drop everything to come to my rescue - if it was summer and not during the school year - she drives school bus. We should though as our nearest kid is 600 miles away and she has a job that she could be hurt or killed any night she goes to work - at least she no longer works the ghetto, but crap happens in every district.
I am soooo glad to hear all is well with your daughter. No wonder she was scared! Question - who was the more scared? Mom or kid?

Soooooooooooooo glad that your daughter is not seriously injured.
We did not have a back-up plan and I came back really sick after a trip. I referred expected guests away to another B&B for a few days until the meds kicked in. It was all I could do. I never found anyone here to fill in for me in a pinch other than my dh.

first, i am so glad your daughter is okay.
i trained a back up ... this is in some thread of about a month or so ago, about dealing with a death i believe. i'll try to find it for you. because i had eight rooms, i had housekeeping help. i trained the best and brightest girl how to take reservations, accept payments and do check-ins and outs. then we went over breakfast. she delighted in being assistant innkeeper and i was thrilled to be able to delegate some tasks to her. i had a whole book of procedures, contact info etc.
it is a very very good idea to have a backup plan. to devise a plan when you are not IN crisis mode.
the more rooms you have, the more it could be a huge undertaking to send people elsewhere.

i trained a back up ... this is in some thread of about a month or so ago, about dealing with a death i believe. i'll try to find it for you. because i had eight rooms, i had housekeeping help. i trained the best and brightest girl how to take reservations, accept payments and do check-ins and outs. then we went over breakfast. she delighted in being assistant innkeeper and i was thrilled to be able to delegate some tasks to her. i had a whole book of procedures, contact info etc.
it is a very very good idea to have a backup plan. to devise a plan when you are not IN crisis mode.
the more rooms you have, the more it could be a huge undertaking to send people elsewhere..
I agree....great advice!!
thumbs_up.gif

the more rooms you have, the more it could be a huge undertaking to send people elsewhere..
Thanks! I do have a friend who is great at almost anythings she puts her hands to and I have thought of having her come over and learn the ropes! I think I will do that!

That must have been very scary for both of you! I'm so glad she is o.k.
I've used a few family members as backups and it went o.k. The guests were great with it but my family members were really anxious. I don't know if I'd do it again. There is another B&B nearby and we've helped each other out during illnesses or other emergencies.

So glad your daughter is okay.
As to the back up plan, I am the back up plan. My bosses know that I can be there within 30 minutes and will stay until it is no longer necessary. It's business as usual for the inn.

Back