travel briefs - INN the news 05.03.09

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']travel briefs[/FONT]
Dubuque Telegraph Herald - Dubuque,IA,USA
Would you like to run a bed and breakfast? HOBOKEN, NJ -- It sounds like a dream job: You have a beautiful old home with extra bedrooms in a location with ...

Here's one I saw a week ago, from a realtor who used to own a B&B and now sells B&Bs. It's almost criminal!.
Could not resist. I posted a comment asking what planet she came from.
Sipping wine? Reading a book at the shore? what rubbish.
Have you seen her reply...still all fluff. I wonder if she was 'hands on' with anything B&B wise! And on top of that, if it was such a glorious lifestyle, why did she sell after only 4 years...

the food photos are good... wondering just how she did that towering banana/pineapple brulee.... toothpicks?

Here's one I saw a week ago, from a realtor who used to own a B&B and now sells B&Bs. It's almost criminal!.
Could not resist. I posted a comment asking what planet she came from.
Sipping wine? Reading a book at the shore? what rubbish.
Have you seen her reply...still all fluff. I wonder if she was 'hands on' with anything B&B wise! And on top of that, if it was such a glorious lifestyle, why did she sell after only 4 years...
Thanks for telling me she responded. I read it and answered that. I noted the she was only in it for 4 years - even with housekeeping. I said that such desriptions would lead to quickly disillusioned innkeepers who quickly put the inn back on the market and asked if that was the goal. Nasty of me, I know. Ended with Honesty and truth in adcertising means in job descriptions also.

I want to make sure we separate two discussions here. There is the three paragraph travel brief that suggests Mary White's "Running a Bed and Breakfast for Dummies" book as reading if you are interested in Running a B&B.
And then there is the realtor trying to sell B&B's who is rose coloring up the job as an effort to sell more people on the low stress, sip wine and read books on the rocks kind of lifestyle.
angry_smile.gif

I just wanted to make sure these were separated, because I've been reading Mary's book and so far I find it to be pretty accurate and not too rosey. So far what I have read she has done a pretty nice job of representing innkeeping in all of its various forms and giving the idea that not all inns are alike, not all innkeepers are alike and the job can be radically different. She had help from some pretty experienced innkeepers that seemed to keep it grounded in reality. I'm pretty critical of these kinds of things and I have to say, so far, nothing in the book has made me grimace in a bad way.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yes this thread was hijacked (with love of course). The article about the book is what I referred to as causing blood to shoot from your eyes.
Right, I just wanted to make sure Mary's book didn't get caught in the crossfire This thread in particular if you aren't paying careful attention to who is responding to who, it can be read a few differnt ways. ;)

Yes this thread was hijacked (with love of course). The article ais about the book by Mary White. Not a realtor. :)

Sorry, my fault. I did not mean to imply that Mary's book was criminal, or even 'fluff'. I have not personally read it, but I have only heard good things from those who have. The blog article was over the top, IMO - truly a sales job.

Dang! Now I have to read the darn thing! I received a copy of this a couple weeks ago - from the publisher. Have not had time to look at it. First I will have to find where I put it. It arrived when I had guests.
Edited to say I found the book and will be looking at it. One of the innkeepers on PAII Forum was one of those who reviewed it and she had nothing but good things to say,
Yes my rant about the What planet are you from was directed to the realtor. That reminds me, perhaps is is time I looked in again to see if she answered my answer - I intimated that the wine sipping and book reading were to create a lot of property turnover.
Edited again: Just looked to see if she answered again - yep. I am snarky now. Hmmmm I wonder if she has been reading our Forum as snarky is not a common term. She chooses to miss the point that she was painting an incorrect picture of innkeeping. She also states that they had the inn for 5 year (oh, big error on my part) and they sold the inn to buy one on the Maine coast (watch out girls) but as she got into brokerage realized she could not do both. Sorry, I am not going to have a pity party for anyone who EVER intimates that innkeeping is wine sipping and reading books while sitting on rocks. I pity wannabees who read that blog and think it is the truth about this business. SIGH!

I found the book - it had not had time to get buried. I have read some of it and so far it is pretty good. One thing interesting. In the beginning of the book she tells readers that a REALLY good resource is the PAII Forum and us, yes this Forum is listed as being an excellent way to leard the facts about innkeeping. She called us (and PAII) two of the most popular innkeeping forums.
She gave our web url and said, "This active forum is comprised of a group of innkeepers and a few vendors who daily share stories, ask each other questions, and discuss topics of interest to the group, such as vendor recommendations, occupancy rates, handling specific guest situations, and so on."
One thing about her book is that it is one you can look up a sobject you need answered. It is not a start on Page 1 and read to the end to find the info.
I promised an update. So here it is.

I found the book - it had not had time to get buried. I have read some of it and so far it is pretty good. One thing interesting. In the beginning of the book she tells readers that a REALLY good resource is the PAII Forum and us, yes this Forum is listed as being an excellent way to leard the facts about innkeeping. She called us (and PAII) two of the most popular innkeeping forums.
She gave our web url and said, "This active forum is comprised of a group of innkeepers and a few vendors who daily share stories, ask each other questions, and discuss topics of interest to the group, such as vendor recommendations, occupancy rates, handling specific guest situations, and so on."
One thing about her book is that it is one you can look up a sobject you need answered. It is not a start on Page 1 and read to the end to find the info.
I promised an update. So here it is..
gillumhouse said:
Well done gang. I have always said it is the members and discussion here that have all the value. Give yourselves a round of applause. As we are coming up on our 1 yr anniversary here (May 30th) and have already made it in to the print world ... that's pretty cool ;)

gillumhouse said:
Well done gang. I have always said it is the members and discussion here that have all the value. Give yourselves a round of applause. As we are coming up on our 1 yr anniversary here (May 30th) and have already made it in to the print world ... that's pretty cool ;)
swirt said:
gillumhouse said:
Can you give us some figures of how many registered users and visitors to this forum now for the anniversary?

gillumhouse said:
swirt said:
gillumhouse said:
Can you give us some figures of how many registered users and visitors to this forum now for the anniversary?
I will when we get a little closer to the date. ;)

Back