Travel Problems

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Just saw this. New law to go into effect about not being held on the tarmac for more than 3 hours. Folks..have any of you ever been in this kind of situation while flying? I have not..but if I did...I would literally go crazy!!! I would be a lunatic and they would be pulling me off the walls and maybe calling the cops!!! This frightens me and is another reason I am quickly becoming adverse to flying anywhere.
Did you also read about folks being caught in the Chunnel? Heaven forbid...those poor folks. It was not a pretty site as they emerged after all those hours. Also one of my biggest fears!!!!

I've never experienced anything like that but we don't fly that often. I usually don't pay a lot of attention to the 'on time %' posted with each flight when I book. We try to get on the first flight out in the morning, ie- the one that has to leave because they need the plane back at the hub and the last one in at night, ie- the one that has to be there for the first flight out in the morning.
I don't think they'd be peeling me off the ceiling unless there were screaming kids nearby. But I would get pretty antsy. I'm usually able to use 'enforced downtime' to my advantage, but not always. And not if the battery died on my laptop!

I have. It's a pure nightmare. Especially now that the flight attendants think their primary role is security. They're no doubt caught up in a web of impossible demands.
But really this should have been made illegal quite a long time ago.
It's like being held hostage. And paying for it.

never been in that situation ... hope i never am. what a nightmare! i remember that story a few months ago of people who sat in the plane for hours and hours, within site of the terminal, and weren't allowed to get off the plane because of security. they should have found a way to MAKE it secure. the plane had bad air, overflowing toilets, ran out of water and juice, had stressed out passengers and attendants. unbelievable.

never been in that situation ... hope i never am. what a nightmare! i remember that story a few months ago of people who sat in the plane for hours and hours, within site of the terminal, and weren't allowed to get off the plane because of security. they should have found a way to MAKE it secure. the plane had bad air, overflowing toilets, ran out of water and juice, had stressed out passengers and attendants. unbelievable..
Overflowing toilets is bad enough. For the first few hours, until there's a populist revolt among the paying hostages, the flight attendants don't even want you to use the toilet. Maybe that's why they also refuse to bring water!!!
And once you're on that plane, no matter what, they are not letting you off!

never been in that situation ... hope i never am. what a nightmare! i remember that story a few months ago of people who sat in the plane for hours and hours, within site of the terminal, and weren't allowed to get off the plane because of security. they should have found a way to MAKE it secure. the plane had bad air, overflowing toilets, ran out of water and juice, had stressed out passengers and attendants. unbelievable..
Overflowing toilets is bad enough. For the first few hours, until there's a populist revolt among the paying hostages, the flight attendants don't even want you to use the toilet. Maybe that's why they also refuse to bring water!!!
I imagine they'd let everyone off if everyone got hostile enough. You'd never board another plane in your life, but you wouldn't be sitting forever on that one!

I imagine they'd let everyone off if everyone got hostile enough. You'd never board another plane in your life, but you wouldn't be sitting forever on that one!
They won't let anyone off. Remember me with a family of four being stuck for hours and hours and finally landing on the other coast in FLA only to wait on THAT runway, refuel and take off for the other coast again. Begging to let us off and get a bottle of water! They refused, FAA this and that. It was hell.

They won't let anyone off. Remember me with a family of four being stuck for hours and hours and finally landing on the other coast in FLA only to wait on THAT runway, refuel and take off for the other coast again. Begging to let us off and get a bottle of water! They refused, FAA this and that. It was hell.
I think they'd have to call the police in if the passengers rioted. I mean started throwing luggage and what not, beating on the windows, opening the emergency exits. Tweeting...

I think they'd have to call the police in if the passengers rioted. I mean started throwing luggage and what not, beating on the windows, opening the emergency exits. Tweeting...
On the plane, they are the police. And they have federal authority.
They let you know that right away when they tell you that no, you are not getting off the plane.
It gets ugly and maybe that's why the flight attendants start out swinging; they know no one is going to be happy.
But no matter how much you protest, they have all the power. You are just sitting hostages and they do not care.

Tweeting is the only thing you could do. Anything else would land you under FEDERAL arrest - VERY expensive with a litany of horrible possible consequences.

Tweeting is the only thing you could do. Anything else would land you under FEDERAL arrest - VERY expensive with a litany of horrible possible consequences.
That's why EVERYONE would have to riot. ALL of the passengers. None of the flight crew could contain that unless they were armed. At that point, they would have to get everyone off the plane, which was the whole point of the riot.
If I have no choice but to sit still and behave myself, I guess that limits my flying to international flights where I can't drive to my destination.

The FAA rules are bonkers. When flying recently we bought a seat for bwirt so he didn't have to sit on our laps the whole flight. So we buckled him in to his own seat and the stewardess told us, "he can't be buckled in, during landing and take off or turbulence he has to be on our laps." ??????
So in a car going any speed but usually well under 100mph my arms aren't good enough to hold him safe, but in a plane going several hundred mph he has to rely on my arms ???? Calling on my rocket science degree ... my arms are rated for about 3g's for someone his size .. new airplane seats are rated for 15g's .... but for some reason it is against airline regulations to take advantage of that protection during the most dangerous parts of the flight for what I consider my most precious cargo. ????
It makes no sense.

The FAA rules are bonkers. When flying recently we bought a seat for bwirt so he didn't have to sit on our laps the whole flight. So we buckled him in to his own seat and the stewardess told us, "he can't be buckled in, during landing and take off or turbulence he has to be on our laps." ??????
So in a car going any speed but usually well under 100mph my arms aren't good enough to hold him safe, but in a plane going several hundred mph he has to rely on my arms ???? Calling on my rocket science degree ... my arms are rated for about 3g's for someone his size .. new airplane seats are rated for 15g's .... but for some reason it is against airline regulations to take advantage of that protection during the most dangerous parts of the flight for what I consider my most precious cargo. ????
It makes no sense..
No sense at all.
But when they say do it and you're on that flight, you just have no choice.

It makes no sense..
And you paid for the seat?! I would have asked for a refund! I am a little upset at the airlines right now myself! My Mother got stuck in the east coast mess and wasn't able to fly on the 20th - they couldn't get her here till after the holidays so I thankfully got a refund. NOW my daughter is stuck in Msp - she was supposed to fly out at 7:30 tonight - flight cancelled...they put her on a flight at 8:35am Thursday (24th) morning - I'm thinking the weather is going to be worse then and she wouldn't make it at all! I got a real person to talk to me and we put her on the 5:30pm flight tonight... why didn't they put her there in the 1st place?! I am hoping she makes it as I was only calling her at 4:30pm to tell her this! She was ready to head home and I caught her just in time so I'm thinking someone is looking down on us!

It makes no sense..
And you paid for the seat?! I would have asked for a refund! I am a little upset at the airlines right now myself! My Mother got stuck in the east coast mess and wasn't able to fly on the 20th - they couldn't get her here till after the holidays so I thankfully got a refund. NOW my daughter is stuck in Msp - she was supposed to fly out at 7:30 tonight - flight cancelled...they put her on a flight at 8:35am Thursday (24th) morning - I'm thinking the weather is going to be worse then and she wouldn't make it at all! I got a real person to talk to me and we put her on the 5:30pm flight tonight... why didn't they put her there in the 1st place?! I am hoping she makes it as I was only calling her at 4:30pm to tell her this! She was ready to head home and I caught her just in time so I'm thinking someone is looking down on us!
We're a 'fairly' easy drive from NYC (basically interstate the whole way, maybe 4.5-5 hours) so it always surprises me when guests say they flew here. Why? Because you have more money than time? They still have to rent a car when they arrive and worry about flight times and returning the car, etc. And then getting home once they fly back. I just don't get it, especially with all the problems.

We took off out of Kawaii, HI a couple of years ago after an earthquake that was worse on the Big Island. We had the only open airport on the islands. We boarded 7PM, and took off 10PM, making allowances for additional, unplanned passengers, and their cargo. Had to re-balance the weight. The flight attendant began to pass out complimentary wine...
About 10 years ago, went to Chicago from Omaha. Incoming plane might have been struck by lightning. Returned to Chicago. Our plane finally came in about 4PM, 3 hours late. We got to Chicago 6PM. There were problems with the jetway. They kept us on the plane an additional 30 minutes before deplaning. The captain began to play soothing music on the intercom to "soothe the savage beast....ME!"
Out last flight took out of town to Minneapolis. It was an hour late. None of the remaining 3 connections were on time, either...

Back