Travel Tip: Literary Destinations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Travel Tip: Literary Destinations
We have discussed this in the past, it is very interesting, and I know a couple of innmates created googlemaps of famous writers either book locations or residences.
article here
Excerpt" In Saratoga, New York, Cooper’s Cave inspired some of the scenes from James Cooper’s The Last of the Mohicans. "
JB - - The final scenes from that book turned movie was filmed in the Blue Ridge of NC near Chimney Rock.
wink_smile.gif

What is near you that people might not know about and find interesting and spawn a visit? Books, films, etc.

we have the falls where the scene in robin hood prince of theives where little john knocks him in the water just near us. Plus the moors have inspired tons of stuff (it can be a bit dull in the winter) so Turner painted a ton round here, bronte's lived 45 mins drive away austins also. New jane eyre was filmed near here (maggie smith's son was in it) fountains abbey was "the Secret Garden" and the new "Alice in Wonderland" 30 mins away. The swan hotel up the road was filmed for the film "Agatha" about agatha christies life as she ran away and hid there (Dustin Hoffman Stayed there) The TV series Emerdale Farm is filmed nearby (went to school with the directors son) and they are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. The large hotel where I used to work was owned by the Carter family of Tutancarmon fame. There is a lot of history here.

So Cambs thinking about putting an itinerary together? A tour, a trail? This thread is for marketing, to spark ideas to innmates who may have literary destination right under their noses. In the off season, consider putting some of this together and doing a Press Release! "Well Read" are great guests, they have money and spend money in most cases.
Here is my goal for 2011...
NOT spend the night
"SPEND THE WEEKEND!"

So Cambs thinking about putting an itinerary together? A tour, a trail? This thread is for marketing, to spark ideas to innmates who may have literary destination right under their noses. In the off season, consider putting some of this together and doing a Press Release! "Well Read" are great guests, they have money and spend money in most cases.
Here is my goal for 2011...
NOT spend the night
"SPEND THE WEEKEND!".
Yup When I get it together I am going to say a web page Turners Trail - and places things were painted
as I have a good booklet on that Then do the austins and bronte's with places that inspired the books and places things were filmed. I'll probably get to it in January when it is quiet or we are half shutting in Feb maybe then.

Back