Treat different customers differently

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night we went to our local Mexican restaurant. The same Mexican wait staff/owners have been there since we moved here (a couple forum friends have been there). They are very nice and provide decent service.
We sat down and a young female server walked up to our table and stood there with her pad and pen in hand. That was it. Just stood there. DH looked at me and I looked at him. We waited, wondering if she would speak. After a long uncomfortable silence she finally said "What do you want to order?"

It sometimes takes a little time to understand each guest is not the same cookie-cutter guest. We don't always get that in time. Some guests get perks that others don't. Some guests we don't see, rarely speak to and wouldn't recognize on the street the next day.

I was in Tijuana in 1963. I had never before, nor since, seen such abject poverty.
I firmly believe that a certain few of our guests are "sent" to us - and it works both sides, for us or because of us. We have had guests who were more important in what they gave us (and I am NOT talking revenue) ie the guest who told us about post-polio syndrome (important for DH and the guest we were able to tell about it years later) and for what we can be in their lives (ie they lady who could not celebrate Christmas becaue of the death of a daughter). Do we touch the lives of every guest - no but with each guest a bit of them affects us and we them and that I believe is why we are in this profession. We are each where we are for a reason.
I do know I was meant to be in the City where I am now. This B & B was a contributing factor to the revitalization of this city and its economy. I am also able to provide rooms (free in the past - now I am ordered to invoice) when the city needs them (we are the prize fr the Most Luscious Lips Contest). I know I am the most blessed person there is.

The basics of customer service in ANY industry is understanding personality types I don't like to put people in boxes but this understanding does help
Basics like the little old lady who WANTS to talk more about her res, wants to know more about the room and NEEDS to spend more time with you, the businessman who is in a rush does not want the chit chat but wants to know he can get an early breakfast, and has internet access, and the tired sounding mom with children yelling in the background wants to know that her getaway will provide some peace and quite, that;'s why one of the most important questions on your res call, if they don't mention it AND asked NICELY on your part if "what brings you to the area".

At this restaurant a family came in and brought in 3 happy meals for their kids. Sat in the mexican restaurant with the kids eating chicken nuggets in a bag from McDonalds.

At this restaurant a family came in and brought in 3 happy meals for their kids. Sat in the mexican restaurant with the kids eating chicken nuggets in a bag from McDonalds..
Joey Bloggs said:
At this restaurant a family came in and brought in 3 happy meals for their kids. Sat in the mexican restaurant with the kids eating chicken nuggets in a bag from McDonalds.
Now THAT is cohones! I will discreetly bring a can of pop for DH when we KNOW they do not have a sugar-free/caffine-free beverage other than water but would not bring food from another restaurant.

The basics of customer service in ANY industry is understanding personality types I don't like to put people in boxes but this understanding does help
Basics like the little old lady who WANTS to talk more about her res, wants to know more about the room and NEEDS to spend more time with you, the businessman who is in a rush does not want the chit chat but wants to know he can get an early breakfast, and has internet access, and the tired sounding mom with children yelling in the background wants to know that her getaway will provide some peace and quite, that;'s why one of the most important questions on your res call, if they don't mention it AND asked NICELY on your part if "what brings you to the area"..
Very well-said, if I may say so......

Back