Trend

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG, they even got the shlumpadinka likeness of me in that caricature! WOW!
I love you Bree!
tounge_smile.gif
inncogneeto said:
OMG, they even got the shlumpadinka likeness of me in that caricature! WOW!
I love you Bree!
tounge_smile.gif
I couldn't get to the computer fast enough after I saw that in today's funny papers...glad you liked it!

Inncogneeto, do you usually know ahead of time when you have 'camping' guests coming? How about putting a card in the room before they arrive...
"Have you forgotten or run out of supplies for your camping trip? Toilet paper, blankets, toothpaste (whatever) are available for purchase from the inn." And then list a price list.
Keep the prices high enough that people would rather not buy from you. It might make them think twice about taking (stealing) from you since you might just charge them for it. If people are going to take stuff from you, you might as well be paid for the items and for your time and gas to replace them.
Just a thought.

Inncogneeto, do you usually know ahead of time when you have 'camping' guests coming? How about putting a card in the room before they arrive...
"Have you forgotten or run out of supplies for your camping trip? Toilet paper, blankets, toothpaste (whatever) are available for purchase from the inn." And then list a price list.
Keep the prices high enough that people would rather not buy from you. It might make them think twice about taking (stealing) from you since you might just charge them for it. If people are going to take stuff from you, you might as well be paid for the items and for your time and gas to replace them.
Just a thought..
On the serious side here cause blankets and pillows and towels are expensive.
We have four rooms. We know what blankets, how many pillows, what paintings, etc. are in each room -- we will know if something is missing, and we will know the name, address, credit card number (from their on-line reservation), and, license plate number (just something extra we do) of the last person(s) to stay in that room.
So ------"Hello, how are you? This is ..........from .................B&B. Hope you made it home okay. We seem to be missing ....................from the room you stayed in. You probably packed it (them) in your suitcase by accident. We would appreciate your sending it back". Every situation is different and each person will react differently.
Know what's in your rooms and who stayed there last.

Something's been on my mind all day that this forum triggered.... You all have given so freely to me, and i want to give something back, so any thing that comes to mind that I can share I hope helps you. I guess, though i came on as the voice of a hopeful, wannabe innkeeper, I am truly at this point just an innlover and thus, have the voice of a guest.
I doubt this applies to ANY of you, cuz i found no related topics, and it could just be my bias because of my line of work, but I feel better passing it on just in case.
Make sure you do not leave any RX or OTC drugs in medicine cabinets or drawers that you do not want a guest to take or that if someone took and had a reaction you could be liable. Now, before you ridicule me, I have stayed at B&Bs where this is the case IN the guest rooms! I realize that previous guests may deliberatey leave things, sunscreen, mouthwash or whatever, but I do know of instances where it was put there or left there by the innkeeper. I won't touch any of it when I am staying at an inn. (I bring my own anyway) But trust me, if you think blankets get stolen, drugs will too, and it is dangerous besides for lots of reasons.

Something's been on my mind all day that this forum triggered.... You all have given so freely to me, and i want to give something back, so any thing that comes to mind that I can share I hope helps you. I guess, though i came on as the voice of a hopeful, wannabe innkeeper, I am truly at this point just an innlover and thus, have the voice of a guest.
I doubt this applies to ANY of you, cuz i found no related topics, and it could just be my bias because of my line of work, but I feel better passing it on just in case.
Make sure you do not leave any RX or OTC drugs in medicine cabinets or drawers that you do not want a guest to take or that if someone took and had a reaction you could be liable. Now, before you ridicule me, I have stayed at B&Bs where this is the case IN the guest rooms! I realize that previous guests may deliberatey leave things, sunscreen, mouthwash or whatever, but I do know of instances where it was put there or left there by the innkeeper. I won't touch any of it when I am staying at an inn. (I bring my own anyway) But trust me, if you think blankets get stolen, drugs will too, and it is dangerous besides for lots of reasons..
I am fairly certain that no innkeeper here keeps drugs of any type in their guest rooms or bathrooms.
We have discussed the liability issue of giving even an aspirin to a guest in a previous forum. It has not been discussed here so it is good that you bring this up.

Make sure you do not leave any RX or OTC drugs in medicine cabinets or drawers that you do not want a guest to take or that if someone took and had a reaction you could be liable. Now, before you ridicule me, I have stayed at B&Bs where this is the case IN the guest rooms! I realize that previous guests may deliberatey leave things, sunscreen, mouthwash or whatever, but I do know of instances where it was put there or left there by the innkeeper. I won't touch any of it when I am staying at an inn. (I bring my own anyway) But trust me, if you think blankets get stolen, drugs will too, and it is dangerous besides for lots of reasons..
You are so right. Even if a guest ask for an asprin I say I am sorry I don't have any. I would never give a guest anything ever. I don't want that to come back to bite me.

Innlover said:
Make sure you do not leave any RX or OTC drugs in medicine cabinets or drawers that you do not want a guest to take or that if someone took and had a reaction you could be liable. Now, before you ridicule me, I have stayed at B&Bs where this is the case IN the guest rooms! I realize that previous guests may deliberatey leave things, sunscreen, mouthwash or whatever, but I do know of instances where it was put there or left there by the innkeeper. I won't touch any of it when I am staying at an inn. (I bring my own anyway) But trust me, if you think blankets get stolen, drugs will too, and it is dangerous besides for lots of reasons.
I'm not going to ridicule you but I'm going to ask what the heck kinds of places do you stay where the innkeepers leave prescription drugs in the guest rooms? I think everyone here cleans their rooms thoroughly when guests leave, including any bits and bobs they may have left behind. No wonder you're so amazed by the work & cleaning stories here if that's been your experience traveling.

Sorry Bree, trust me that they were nice B&Bs. After my inital intro to this site and how I managed to stick foot in mouth unknowingly, I am not about to name the inns or even where they are! Some innkeepers are just not as plugged in or as savvy as you all are on this site.
Why do you think I came here for my pre-career change knowledge??? Just as you all have insider info on what you do as innkeepers, the inside stories i could tell you about my job would really scare you.

Sorry Bree, trust me that they were nice B&Bs. After my inital intro to this site and how I managed to stick foot in mouth unknowingly, I am not about to name the inns or even where they are! Some innkeepers are just not as plugged in or as savvy as you all are on this site.
Why do you think I came here for my pre-career change knowledge??? Just as you all have insider info on what you do as innkeepers, the inside stories i could tell you about my job would really scare you..
Innlover said:
Why do you think I came here for my pre-career change knowledge??? Just as you all have insider info on what you do as innkeepers, the inside stories i could tell you about my job would really scare you.
I think I missed something. What is your job?
No drugs here! Nothing in those drawers but a Gideon's Bible...
=)
Kk.

OK...you're pulling our collective legs here, aren't you?? I think you're just trying to see what kind of answer you're going to get from us by putting this out there.
wow.gif

Why do you think I came here for my pre-career change knowledge??? Just as you all have insider info on what you do as innkeepers, the inside stories i could tell you about my job would really scare you..
Innlover said:
I think I missed something. What is your job?
No drugs here! Nothing in those drawers but a Gideon's Bible...
=)
Kk.
Any and all drawers in furniture in our guest rooms are empty, except for emergency lights or instruction manuals for alarm clocks.

That is very odd. What sort of meds were in this B&B? Why would they have med's in a guest room or guest bath? Was it a shared bath and they belonged to another guest?
We don't have anything out for anyone like that. If they have a headache, backache or hangover we have about 10 pharmacies in this town. I had a guest with a bee sting here - some might recall, it was a couple years ago. After that incident the consensus was the patient needed to go to pharmacy for whatever they needed. We cannot assist with first aid (other than any first aid training we have for emergency purposes only).

Man, I am confused all by your confusion! I am not sure if all those questions were for me or not.
Samster, I wasn't joking. i was being sincere. Obviously this doesn't apply to you. Honestly, though, do you think if it did apply to an innkeeper here that they would own up to it after all this denial? Not that I expected anyone to, I just knew from my experience as a guest, as well as from my work that it is a fact. One of the B&Bs is a wonderful inn, very, very upscale, with three floors, I think there were 12 rooms. The very well-to-do owner lives off-site, has employees and leaves personal stuff in the rooms and drawers, etc. including RX and OTC drugs in the guest bathroom so when he comes to stay he has his stuff.
I prefer to stay somewhat anonymous due to the career situation of both me and my husband and our plans for early retirement. I can safely say that my career is closely related to the drug industry. If I tell you any more I'd have ta kill ya!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

If you think I am paranoid, you should see my sister, she won't talk about their jobs at all on an unsecured phone line and forget the Web or e-mail!

You are so right. Even if a guest ask for an asprin I say I am sorry I don't have any. I would never give a guest anything ever. I don't want that to come back to bite me.
I don't have any asprin or meds for the guests either, but I have been told the safest thing to do is to have more than 3 kinds (bayer, aleve, etc) in a basket so that the guest chooses themself which one they are going to take. I'm not sure if this is still safe to do, though.
Riki

Man, I am confused all by your confusion! I am not sure if all those questions were for me or not.
Samster, I wasn't joking. i was being sincere. Obviously this doesn't apply to you. Honestly, though, do you think if it did apply to an innkeeper here that they would own up to it after all this denial? Not that I expected anyone to, I just knew from my experience as a guest, as well as from my work that it is a fact. One of the B&Bs is a wonderful inn, very, very upscale, with three floors, I think there were 12 rooms. The very well-to-do owner lives off-site, has employees and leaves personal stuff in the rooms and drawers, etc. including RX and OTC drugs in the guest bathroom so when he comes to stay he has his stuff.
I prefer to stay somewhat anonymous due to the career situation of both me and my husband and our plans for early retirement. I can safely say that my career is closely related to the drug industry. If I tell you any more I'd have ta kill ya!

If you think I am paranoid, you should see my sister, she won't talk about their jobs at all on an unsecured phone line and forget the Web or e-mail!.
Well I don't care who it is or how upscale the place is. If the room is being rented out to guests there should be NOTHING personal in the rooms especially and including any kind of drugs!!!!

I don't have any asprin or meds for the guests either, but I have been told the safest thing to do is to have more than 3 kinds (bayer, aleve, etc) in a basket so that the guest chooses themself which one they are going to take. I'm not sure if this is still safe to do, though.
Riki
NO this is NOT SAFE. Let them go to a drugstore or Walmart if they need some medication. You should NOT and I mean NOT provide ANYTHING. This is just asking for trouble. It may seem really simple thing, but all you would need have happen is someone have some type of reaction and sue you for providing it for them. Sorry...get rid of the drugs!!!

WHAT THE! [/h3]All this Denial? I am insulted.
Innlover wrote: Not that I expected anyone to, I just knew from my experience as a guest, as well as from my work that it is a fact.
Again, you must be talking about some sort of shared bathroom or something? If someone is reading this, then they better get that out of a guest bath ASAP.
It is not a fact here. Not a fact at all, you better check your facts. You are way off.

If you think I am paranoid, you should see my sister, she won't talk about their jobs at all on an unsecured phone line and forget the Web or e-mail!.
I have traveled in all types of B&Bs/inns all throughout the entire U.S. for 30 years and I have NEVER encountered any personal items of an innkeeper or their staff in the rooms or bathrooms. This is the weirdest thing that I have ever heard. If there is a shared bath situation, I can understand where a guest might find something left behind by another guest who is sharing that bath.
There is no one denying or lying here on this forum who has posted about what is or is not in their guest accommodations. That is insulting to all of my fellow inn-mates!

Back