Trend

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm... I never read the other thread on aspirin, but I'm curious. Does this apply to ANY first-aid, including bandages and neosporin for paper cuts? I've found all of the above in the supply closet at pretty much every desk job I've had, but I'm sure they have different insurance for employees.
Glad I read this thread!

Hm... I never read the other thread on aspirin, but I'm curious. Does this apply to ANY first-aid, including bandages and neosporin for paper cuts? I've found all of the above in the supply closet at pretty much every desk job I've had, but I'm sure they have different insurance for employees.
Glad I read this thread!.
That's an interesting point, because we are required by our county health department to have a basic first aid kit available to guests at all times. We have one in the powder room on the first floor and it is noted in our guest information booklet. It does include antiseptic wipes, decongestants and analgesics, although not very many of any of them.

I have first aid kits in all the rooms. And I do have individually wrapped & labeled Tylenol, Aspirin, Motrin (like you would find for purchase in a hotel lobby shop) in the centrally located amenity basket. It is half an hour to the all night pharmacy near us (believe it or not) and we often have late arriving guests. Several have appreciated it after a hard day of travel and not being able to carry just about anything in your carry on bags these days, they usually don't have it on them.

I have first aid stuff but NO analgesics. Mostly bandaids.
Maybe they were in it orig but are out of date now since I have never used this kit to date.
We are not required here to have them at all. But we do a a hospital with lifeflight helo pad 2 blocks from us.

Wow, how did this turn so bad?
First, thank you to those who seemed to get what I was trying to say.
I had hoped it could help if even one aspiring innkeeper or even one seasoned innkeeper was not aware of the issue.
Second, I apologize to those I offended.
I never ever thought anyone was lying or implied that. What I meant by "denial" was that many replies said: " What? None of us would ever do that!" Well maybe not, but even if someone did, by that time they might not have stepped up and said oh, yeah, I do that and feel foolish. Maybe I am wrong and this site is really that small that you know every single person who comes on and who they are, but I repeat, I did not mean that people who did it denied it. Poor choice of words, sorry, writing is not my strong suit, and please forget I said that about my sister. Maybe I should go back to being a silent guest.

That's an interesting point, because we are required by our county health department to have a basic first aid kit available to guests at all times. We have one in the powder room on the first floor and it is noted in our guest information booklet. It does include antiseptic wipes, decongestants and analgesics, although not very many of any of them.
We too require a first aid kit..but the issue is someone ingesting drugs provided by another. NO NO. I do not consider aspirin or other pain reliever as first aid.

I had hoped it could help if even one aspiring innkeeper or even one seasoned innkeeper was not aware of the issue.
I never ever thought anyone was lying or implied that. What I meant by "denial" was that many replies said: " What? None of us would ever do that!" Well maybe not, but even if someone did, by that time they might not have stepped up and said oh, yeah, I do that and feel foolish. Maybe I am wrong and this site is really that small that you know every single person who comes on and who they are, but I repeat, I did not mean that people who did it denied it. Poor choice of words, sorry, writing is not my strong suit, and please forget I said that about my sister. Maybe I should go back to being a silent guest..
No please...continue on. From time to time things just get misinterpretted..easy to do with this medium. And to be truthful...even though we get up to maybe 100 different users and visitors....many of us are regulars and imports from about.com who have "been together" for many many years..so we do know one another very well. And we are protective of one another as well:)
welcome.gif

We too require a first aid kit..but the issue is someone ingesting drugs provided by another. NO NO. I do not consider aspirin or other pain reliever as first aid.
Of course, I don't have drugs in any of my guest rooms that aren't brought there by the guests themselves. I don't store any of my personal belongings in any guest room, and I never would. I have never found anybody's personal stash of meds or clothes when I've stayed at a B&B, and I've stayed in a lot of them.
However, the most literal interpretation of drugs being provided by another would mean that there should be no analgesics or decongestants in my first aid kit. There are some in mine. So if someone wants to make meth in a guest room, I have two pills that could be added to the mix. Just the facts, here...

I never ever thought anyone was lying or implied that. What I meant by "denial" was that many replies said: " What? None of us would ever do that!" Well maybe not, but even if someone did, by that time they might not have stepped up and said oh, yeah, I do that and feel foolish. Maybe I am wrong and this site is really that small that you know every single person who comes on and who they are, but I repeat, I did not mean that people who did it denied it. Poor choice of words, sorry, writing is not my strong suit, and please forget I said that about my sister. Maybe I should go back to being a silent guest..
Innlover said:
I never ever thought anyone was lying or implied that. What I meant by "denial" was that many replies said: " What? None of us would ever do that!" Well maybe not, but even if someone did, by that time they might not have stepped up and said oh, yeah, I do that and feel foolish. Maybe I am wrong and this site is really that small that you know every single person who comes on and who they are, but I repeat, I did not mean that people who did it denied it. Poor choice of words, sorry, writing is not my strong suit, and please forget I said that about my sister. Maybe I should go back to being a silent guest.
You said it was a fact. So when we say it is UNTRUE then you say this above?
I am speaking for my own B&B right here, we do not have DRUGS in guest rooms or bathrooms. That is the fact right here right now. Not even aleve!
I am not speaking for anyone else. I find it odd that you say this then back away like "people don't agree with me so I will just be the silent guest" Didn't you ask this question and we answered? I answered on behalf of MY SELF AND MY DRUG FREE guest rooms.

It "turned bad" because you implied that finding medications in guest rooms at B&Bs/inns that were left there on purpose by the innkeeper/owner was a commonplace occurence. Then, you basically accused the people on this forum of lying if they were to deny that they don't do this. Can you see why folks would be a tad upset by this? You're not painting a good picture of either our industry or innkeepers. We don't take that lightly as we are all professioal business people here.

It "turned bad" because you implied that finding medications in guest rooms at B&Bs/inns that were left there on purpose by the innkeeper/owner was a commonplace occurence. Then, you basically accused the people on this forum of lying if they were to deny that they don't do this. Can you see why folks would be a tad upset by this? You're not painting a good picture of either our industry or innkeepers. We don't take that lightly as we are all professioal business people here.
I would agree with the others. You may have been at ONE B&B where you found the innkeeper's perscription drugs in a drawer. I would beg to differ that it's maybe a fact that you found it, but I would feel comfortable stating (and I've stayed in many B&Bs and Pensions both here in the US and abroad) that it is is absolutely NOT COMMONPLACE. You inferred that "It's a fact that it happens" . As if it happens often, which I don't believe. Just because you ran across one poor business owner does not paint us all with the same brush.
RIki

Obviously I have a different perspective than you. I am not an innkeeper and as an inngoer I have seen this occurrence more than once, but I did not say it was commonplace. In fact I started this whole thing saying, "I doubt this applies to ANY of you."
So really, I should be offended because I am the one being called a liar. Whether you believe me or not, it has happened. I was SO NOT trying to make your industry or innkeepers look bad. In fact, I would still go back to those inns, they were great. I also explained one circumstance and why the owner does it, but I do not condone it and being in a related drug industry I have seen enough bad situations happen regardless of whether it is an aspirin or any other OTC drug, or an RX.
OH, I see something now as I reread what I wrote way earlier in the thread! Catlady, you are right it is so easy to misinterpret. So now I realize that if you read the first 2 paragraphs of this reply they could also get misconstrued!
JBJ, when I said it was a fact, I was talking about my experience at the inns, not my experience here on this site with innkeepers! Now I see what you thought and I can see how you took it that way. No, I have no reason to think badly of anyone here. And I understand your all being protective of each other. I hope I will some day get to be the recipient of that.
I truly understand that you were offended, but I didn't mean what it sounded like! Again, I was not accusing you of lying because you say you don't do it. I said that if anyone did do it they might not want to speak out at all (read the topic and not reply). I know I am a bit intimidated by it all. And now that I see how I once again botched things up unknowingly, I guess I wonder if i am meant to be a member or if i should have stayed a guest. In other words maybe i should just shut up. Actually, if i was talking you would have understood me. I am sorry, sorry, sorry.
I think I need a drink...(okay, that was my attempt at humor.)

What I do have in a guest bathroom (or had until 5 minutes ago) was a dead mouse! Went in to add flowers for today's check in and THE SMELL was there. I began to freak and fortunately the little black mouse came to his demise on a bath mat. But had to scrub the whole bathroom again. Rotten mongrel! He was actually kinda cute. WAS.
Now I am in eliminating odor - just what I need, I had stuff baking and nearly destroyed it.

Obviously I have a different perspective than you. I am not an innkeeper and as an inngoer I have seen this occurrence more than once, but I did not say it was commonplace. In fact I started this whole thing saying, "I doubt this applies to ANY of you."
So really, I should be offended because I am the one being called a liar. Whether you believe me or not, it has happened. I was SO NOT trying to make your industry or innkeepers look bad. In fact, I would still go back to those inns, they were great. I also explained one circumstance and why the owner does it, but I do not condone it and being in a related drug industry I have seen enough bad situations happen regardless of whether it is an aspirin or any other OTC drug, or an RX.
OH, I see something now as I reread what I wrote way earlier in the thread! Catlady, you are right it is so easy to misinterpret. So now I realize that if you read the first 2 paragraphs of this reply they could also get misconstrued!
JBJ, when I said it was a fact, I was talking about my experience at the inns, not my experience here on this site with innkeepers! Now I see what you thought and I can see how you took it that way. No, I have no reason to think badly of anyone here. And I understand your all being protective of each other. I hope I will some day get to be the recipient of that.
I truly understand that you were offended, but I didn't mean what it sounded like! Again, I was not accusing you of lying because you say you don't do it. I said that if anyone did do it they might not want to speak out at all (read the topic and not reply). I know I am a bit intimidated by it all. And now that I see how I once again botched things up unknowingly, I guess I wonder if i am meant to be a member or if i should have stayed a guest. In other words maybe i should just shut up. Actually, if i was talking you would have understood me. I am sorry, sorry, sorry.
I think I need a drink...(okay, that was my attempt at humor.).
See if we were all "talking" and not writing...many times things would go very differently. Unfortunately we don't have sound here so we do the best we can
embaressed_smile.gif

Here is what what set in stone at the HI where I worked regarding liability and pain relievers and guests.
We had packets of various aspirin and pain relievers FOR SALE. If a guests purchased and took it - no liability because he knew what he purchased.
If we GAVE a pain reliever to a guest and there was a reaction - we WERE liable (the guest did not know what he was taking...... BS but we are talking $$$ here).
So rule of thumb for Aspiring and Newbies - aspirin and pain relievers and sleeping pills and decongestions are ALL medications whether OTC or otherwise and NO MEDICATION of any kind should ever be given to another person.

Here is what what set in stone at the HI where I worked regarding liability and pain relievers and guests.
We had packets of various aspirin and pain relievers FOR SALE. If a guests purchased and took it - no liability because he knew what he purchased.
If we GAVE a pain reliever to a guest and there was a reaction - we WERE liable (the guest did not know what he was taking...... BS but we are talking $$$ here).
So rule of thumb for Aspiring and Newbies - aspirin and pain relievers and sleeping pills and decongestions are ALL medications whether OTC or otherwise and NO MEDICATION of any kind should ever be given to another person..
I think that is what we have been saying loud and clear
teeth_smile.gif

I have a headache!

Back