Tried and True

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just saw this today. This are a bit like the ones that I use for USB.
http://lifehacker.com/5882791/the-rca-usb-wall-plate-charger-adds-usb-ports-to-your-wall-outlets-no-wiring-required
9f2d01ed054d6e8f2a364c653915276c.jpg
THANK YOU!
$20, I had to price.

You can also get these which offer surge protection and additional outlets.
Thanks. I just ordered these. I like the sideways - it will not block the other outlet. I also have a multi-USB thing. It uses one USB port and gives me 4 ports.

Always served full breakfast - will remain, breakfast is what brings my guests back.
Breakfast as always been served a one table, everyone eating together (though staggering in coming /going). While this seems to work most of the time, there are times when we can tell a guest is uncomfortable. So this year we are trying something different. We have separate tables now and will try to get a feel for how people react. Will be interesting to hear what our repeat guests say..
copperhead said:
Always served full breakfast - will remain, breakfast is what brings my guests back.
Breakfast as always been served a one table, everyone eating together (though staggering in coming /going). While this seems to work most of the time, there are times when we can tell a guest is uncomfortable. So this year we are trying something different. We have separate tables now and will try to get a feel for how people react. Will be interesting to hear what our repeat guests say.
I like the idea of separate tables.
Olga said:
copperhead said:
Breakfast as always been served a one table, everyone eating together (though staggering in coming /going). While this seems to work most of the time, there are times when we can tell a guest is uncomfortable. So this year we are trying something different. We have separate tables now and will try to get a feel for how people react. Will be interesting to hear what our repeat guests say.
We implemented seperate tables a couple of years ago, and I think most people here prefer it. People feel uncomfortable on a table with strangers and feel they either have to make conversation, or can't have a private conversation with the person they are with.
Of course the day after £600 worth of tables arrived and were sitting in the garage waiting for a chance to re-arrange the dinning room this Texan lady came down from breakfast and said "We'll sit on the big table so we can talk to people". However I think people like that are rare (in the UK, anyway).

Breakfast as always been served a one table, everyone eating together (though staggering in coming /going). While this seems to work most of the time, there are times when we can tell a guest is uncomfortable. So this year we are trying something different. We have separate tables now and will try to get a feel for how people react. Will be interesting to hear what our repeat guests say..
copperhead said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
We implemented seperate tables a couple of years ago, and I think most people here prefer it. People feel uncomfortable on a table with strangers and feel they either have to make conversation, or can't have a private conversation with the person they are with.
Of course the day after £600 worth of tables arrived and were sitting in the garage waiting for a chance to re-arrange the dinning room this Texan lady came down from breakfast and said "We'll sit on the big table so we can talk to people". However I think people like that are rare (in the UK, anyway).
Highlands John said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
We have separate tables and I prefer it that way. If they are social in the morning, they can easily talk to each other. If not, they don't have to
RIki

copperhead said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
I would have separate tables if I had the space, but I don't. So for some that (like the BWTS folks) who put down communal table at B&B's, it is just logistics, not because we are old fashioned, or ...
I would choose your separate tables if I stayed with you, for sure. In fact, what would I love the most, outside seating. I would love to sit out on the deck or porch or in the gardens. Now as an innkeeper this is a lot more work, and may not be doable. I have considered it, but only a weekend option when I have a spouse here to help with breakfast.
Guests this week made a comment that irked me. I am very very concerned that the food I serve is served hot, after all I am up early to ensure it is cooked and served "just right" for guests enjoyment. There is no room for lukewarm eggs in this inn! So I have burner on stove for eggs going, griddle for pecan pancakes going, bacon sizzling...I do my thang, voila plate it all bring it out piping hot and I go back in (I clean as I go, but there are still pans and clean up!) and I hear him say "What are you doing in there, hiding?" This was after I spent 30 minutes chatting to them the night before, and 15 minutes prior to breakfast.
Well that set my right off, for the first time I actually told the guests there are no fairies who cook and clean at the inn, I do it.
Seriousely. What the!
I went back to my cleaning up. I NEED to clean. Have you ever put off one single load of laundry when you are full and it messes up the entire day? As innkeepers we have a rhythm and we need to stick to it. So even tho he must think innkeeping is for sissies, the work still needs to get done.
So back to the indiv tables, in a way you can time it out better with serving one or two couples at a time, but at the same token, the conversation and interaction is also broken up, so more chances to sideswipe you and get you off course for the morning.

copperhead said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
I would have separate tables if I had the space, but I don't. So for some that (like the BWTS folks) who put down communal table at B&B's, it is just logistics, not because we are old fashioned, or ...
I would choose your separate tables if I stayed with you, for sure. In fact, what would I love the most, outside seating. I would love to sit out on the deck or porch or in the gardens. Now as an innkeeper this is a lot more work, and may not be doable. I have considered it, but only a weekend option when I have a spouse here to help with breakfast.
Guests this week made a comment that irked me. I am very very concerned that the food I serve is served hot, after all I am up early to ensure it is cooked and served "just right" for guests enjoyment. There is no room for lukewarm eggs in this inn! So I have burner on stove for eggs going, griddle for pecan pancakes going, bacon sizzling...I do my thang, voila plate it all bring it out piping hot and I go back in (I clean as I go, but there are still pans and clean up!) and I hear him say "What are you doing in there, hiding?" This was after I spent 30 minutes chatting to them the night before, and 15 minutes prior to breakfast.
Well that set my right off, for the first time I actually told the guests there are no fairies who cook and clean at the inn, I do it.
Seriousely. What the!
I went back to my cleaning up. I NEED to clean. Have you ever put off one single load of laundry when you are full and it messes up the entire day? As innkeepers we have a rhythm and we need to stick to it. So even tho he must think innkeeping is for sissies, the work still needs to get done.
So back to the indiv tables, in a way you can time it out better with serving one or two couples at a time, but at the same token, the conversation and interaction is also broken up, so more chances to sideswipe you and get you off course for the morning.
There are days I think having the wide open kitchen is a good thing. Everyone sees what's going on, knows we're busy 'in there' and can see the dishes need doing. Still, we do have to pull away from guests at 10 or so, telling them we do need to 'get cleaning'.
You know why this is, we all know. The guests think there is nothing else we have to do all day but clean up the kitchen and make a few beds. They don't consider that all the things they have to do in a day we have to do times 10! That we ARE at work when we're here. We're not 'home' sitting around.

copperhead said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
Seriousely. What the!
I have one large table and serve family style. I only have 3 rooms and since I am NOT in a big tourist area (have not managed to make us a destination yet), rarely have a full-house. I had this nice big table when I moved here and I have a dining room large enough to hold it. If I have 2 couples, I set the table with empty chairs between them and the food in the middle. The yare not sitting on top of each other. If one couple, the setting is in the middle chairs with food on bith sides for easy reach. AND since each couple can choose a breakfast time, they are not always going top be sitting with anyone else anyway. Often one is leaving as the other comes in (or are already gone).

Come visit my hills!

copperhead said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
Seriousely. What the!
I have one large table and serve family style. I only have 3 rooms and since I am NOT in a big tourist area (have not managed to make us a destination yet), rarely have a full-house. I had this nice big table when I moved here and I have a dining room large enough to hold it. If I have 2 couples, I set the table with empty chairs between them and the food in the middle. The yare not sitting on top of each other. If one couple, the setting is in the middle chairs with food on bith sides for easy reach. AND since each couple can choose a breakfast time, they are not always going top be sitting with anyone else anyway. Often one is leaving as the other comes in (or are already gone).

Come visit my hills!
I always put two couples near each other> I remember asking this question a while back and I still haven't converted over to this method.

copperhead said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
Highlands John said:
Olga said:
copperhead said:
Seriousely. What the!

Come visit my hills!
I always put two couples near each other> I remember asking this question a while back and I still haven't converted over to this method.
By putting the food in the middle both can reach it and there is only one chair between them. I explain to the guests (if they are eating at the same time) that it is not intended to keep them apart, it is for ease of serving so they can all reach the food.
My table is not so big that there is a huge space between them.

Back