Tried and True

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
All who have been on this forum or to innkeeping conferences have heard talk of, or experienced new ideas.
Is there something in your life as an innkeeper, the way you operate or present your inn, that is tried and true? Is there some old time tradition you retain? A breakfast food that just can't be beat?
Does your hospitality and elegance play out like a fine tuned machine, or was that a well oiled machine? Whatever the saying may be, what have you had from day one that you feel is worthy of retaining, and continuing and passing on to your guests?
  • China instead of coffee mugs?
  • Tea leaves instead of bags, or a tea pot instead of a cup with a tea bag?
  • 100% cotton linens instead of wrinkle-free poly-mixes?
  • Afternoon tea or an evening sherry?
  • Posies in the rooms?
  • Real feather pillows?
Not wanting anyone to feel superior, but at times the ideas keep coming, and it is nice to see what works, what we hold onto, because we feel it is valuable to either us, our guests or our inn.

The only thing we have held onto (but it took awhile to let go of the PO's ways) is to decorate, design and feed our guests in the way we'd want at another B&B. We get closer to it every year. As we redo each part of the house, it becomes more a place we'd like to stay.
So, this is not necessarily a style, but an attitude.
Hope that makes sense.

Since day one we have used glass knife rests, Fostoria stemware and Fostoria glass napkin rings
Place setting includes a salad fork and 2 teaspoons (choice for their friut and if using spoon, still have one for coffee)
Always used cloth tableclothes and napkins
Had robes in the closets (only upgraded them)
Bath sheets (what industry calls bath towels are hair towels)
always carnations in rooms
Once I had made the baskets, fresh bananas & apples in the rooms
We have always had "books to be stolen"
Two rooms have feather/down pillows and comforters and one room has always been feather-free
Sheets are Egyptian cotton in season and flannel in cold months
Sheets are line-dried when weather permits (now use dryer for towels for fluff reasons)
Started with Continental Plus - switched quickly to full breakfast (guests were disappointed and full is easier)
Tea is loose/bags/make your own bags/tea-for-ones or pots - guests choice
Have used china and mugs (down to one mug until new order comes in) using china now
The table setting has been kept because it is an elegant setting not expected in Podunk. We had a couple who came with one set of friends the first time and another couple the second time. DH heard the man in the hall saying to his friends as they entered the dining room, "I told ya, didn't I tell ya?" about the table setting.
I have been doing this so long now that I do not remember how early some things started. I am in a rut I guess. I am always on the look-out for things that will add touches of elegance without changing our "laid-back homey" atmosphere.
Have added:
a sheets menu adding microfiber and fleece so guests now choose - and each kind has been chosen at one time or another
individual domed butter dishes when I discovered them
chargers
replaced stainless cutlery with silverplate
baked oatmeal as an entree
roasting coffee beans
TVs and replaced radios with CD/radio/alarms
a private ensuite bathroom

Always served full breakfast - will remain, breakfast is what brings my guests back.
Breakfast as always been served a one table, everyone eating together (though staggering in coming /going). While this seems to work most of the time, there are times when we can tell a guest is uncomfortable. So this year we are trying something different. We have separate tables now and will try to get a feel for how people react. Will be interesting to hear what our repeat guests say.

Always served full breakfast - will remain, breakfast is what brings my guests back.
Breakfast as always been served a one table, everyone eating together (though staggering in coming /going). While this seems to work most of the time, there are times when we can tell a guest is uncomfortable. So this year we are trying something different. We have separate tables now and will try to get a feel for how people react. Will be interesting to hear what our repeat guests say..
copperhead said:
Breakfast as always been served a one table, everyone eating together (though staggering in coming /going). While this seems to work most of the time, there are times when we can tell a guest is uncomfortable. So this year we are trying something different. We have separate tables now and will try to get a feel for how people react. Will be interesting to hear what our repeat guests say.
I like the idea of separate tables.

Breakfast as always been served a one table, everyone eating together (though staggering in coming /going). While this seems to work most of the time, there are times when we can tell a guest is uncomfortable. So this year we are trying something different. We have separate tables now and will try to get a feel for how people react. Will be interesting to hear what our repeat guests say..
copperhead said:
We didn't have room for separate tables, but if given the option, I would choose a table with my husband only. In our early years of B & B'ing it was kind of expected with the situation to be at a group table to chat etc, but we had some definitely weird times at a few places where I had wished to be eating alone. Times have changed and if I were to do it again, I would have option of separate tables. We offered breakfast in the room and had quite a few takers on it.

We have built new (actually are in phase 2) so we were able to plan our room sizes. We have separate tables for breakfast - I like not forcing people to wake up and talk if they are not morning people, or giving romantic getaways a chance to be by themselves - since the tables are not waaay far away from each other people usually end up chatting - just like at a cafe in Europe.
We use Rosenthal Maria china, coffee mugs since we encourage people to walk around with their coffee before and after breakfast.
We put in heated floors in the bathroom because I think that is luxury.
We were able to put king beds in every room but one
Our rooms come with a wine fridge and bottle of sparkling wine and soft drinks, and local chocolate and port turndown in the evening. We have a vineyard out back and have a barrel of port waiting to be bottled soon and so will be offering our own port at turndown.
Our rooms come with flowers
Our weekend includes a four winery wine tour. I took this leap as if the wine tour was booked we were losing bookings because 95% of our guests want the tour. It enables us to offer transportation to dinner the night of the tour which they like.
RIki

We have built new (actually are in phase 2) so we were able to plan our room sizes. We have separate tables for breakfast - I like not forcing people to wake up and talk if they are not morning people, or giving romantic getaways a chance to be by themselves - since the tables are not waaay far away from each other people usually end up chatting - just like at a cafe in Europe.
We use Rosenthal Maria china, coffee mugs since we encourage people to walk around with their coffee before and after breakfast.
Our rooms come with a wine fridge and bottle of sparkling wine and soft drinks, and local chocolate and port turndown in the evening. We have a vineyard out back and have a barrel of port waiting to be bottled soon and so will be offering our own port at turndown.
Our weekend includes a four winery wine tour. I took this leap as if the wine tour was booked we were losing bookings because 95% of our guests want the tour. It enables us to offer transportation to dinner the night of the tour which they like.
RIki.
Riki....I want to stay at your place!!!
cheers.gif
Wish I had known about you last spring when we took our maiden voyage to the Charlotte area. Geesh...looks like we will have to give it another go some time! We stayed at another, "highly-rated" B+B, which was nice but probably does not compare to your place. It sounds like you have a wonderful sense of hospitality and luxury.

copperhead said:
We didn't have room for separate tables, but if given the option, I would choose a table with my husband only. In our early years of B & B'ing it was kind of expected with the situation to be at a group table to chat etc, but we had some definitely weird times at a few places where I had wished to be eating alone. Times have changed and if I were to do it again, I would have option of separate tables. We offered breakfast in the room and had quite a few takers on it.
We also do not have room for separate tables, but most of our guests seem to enjoy the conversation and hospitality at breakfast served at a table for 6 (our maximimum # of guests). DH loves people and can get just about any group of guests talking and laughing. So, with a few notable exceptions, our guests arrive as strangers and leave as friends. They share ideas about things to do and have suggestions that we may have neglected to mention.
We do offer to serve breakfast in the rooms but we charge $25 for that service. Usually the folks in the suites in the house choose the standard breakfast venue. Folks who are paying the "big bucks" for the cottage will sometimes opt for the additional cost of having their breakfast served to them in private.

RIki.
cheers.gif
Wish I had known about you last spring when we took our maiden voyage to the Charlotte area. Geesh...looks like we will have to give it another go some time! We stayed at another, "highly-rated" B+B, which was nice but probably does not compare to your place. It sounds like you have a wonderful sense of hospitality and luxury.
Silverspoon said:
cheers.gif
Thank you very much! Come on over!
We have a lot of competition here but our main thing is "wine country". We try and offer everything that the guest would need standard since the rates are high here and we find that we get a lot of proposal, birthday and anniversary bookings as a result.
RIki

The only thing we have held onto (but it took awhile to let go of the PO's ways) is to decorate, design and feed our guests in the way we'd want at another B&B. We get closer to it every year. As we redo each part of the house, it becomes more a place we'd like to stay.
So, this is not necessarily a style, but an attitude.
Hope that makes sense..
Well put Madeleine!
thumbs_up.gif
That about sums it up for us too.

Since day one we have used glass knife rests, Fostoria stemware and Fostoria glass napkin rings
Place setting includes a salad fork and 2 teaspoons (choice for their friut and if using spoon, still have one for coffee)
Two rooms have feather/down pillows and comforters and one room has always been feather-free
Sheets are line-dried when weather permits (now use dryer for towels for fluff reasons)
Started with Continental Plus - switched quickly to full breakfast (guests were disappointed and full is easier)
Have used china and mugs (down to one mug until new order comes in) using china now
The table setting has been kept because it is an elegant setting not expected in Podunk. We had a couple who came with one set of friends the first time and another couple the second time. DH heard the man in the hall saying to his friends as they entered the dining room, "I told ya, didn't I tell ya?" about the table setting.
I have been doing this so long now that I do not remember how early some things started. I am in a rut I guess. I am always on the look-out for things that will add touches of elegance without changing our "laid-back homey" atmosphere.
Have added:
a sheets menu adding microfiber and fleece so guests now choose - and each kind has been chosen at one time or another
chargers
roasting coffee beans
a private ensuite bathroom.
one thing I have discovered at the supermarket today is usb chargers you plug into the wall for your devices as was sick to death of half a dozen things hanging out of my computer. You can also get them that are a plug in the front as well but they are more expensive. Am considering having the first kind in to lend out to guests.
I am also a big believer in huge towels what they call bath towels wouldn't cover my ass.

Have added:
chargers
roasting coffee beans
one thing I have discovered at the supermarket today is usb chargers you plug into the wall for your devices as was sick to death of half a dozen things hanging out of my computer. You can also get them that are a plug in the front as well but they are more expensive. Am considering having the first kind in to lend out to guests.
I am also a big believer in huge towels what they call bath towels wouldn't cover my ass.
We have units that provide two USB and two standard plugs. They have a screw at the top that you can put into the screw of the wall plaque, so they can't take them with them. We have one in each room.
Oddly enough, sometimes we find a guest has a transformer, and adapter and then their phone charger, all hanging down like an overburdened see-saw. I take it all out and plug their cable directly into the USB charger. But what I really want to get are these....
timthumb.php

Have added:
chargers
roasting coffee beans
:: burp:: (dupe post... don't know why, though.)

Have added:
chargers
roasting coffee beans
We have units that provide two USB and two standard plugs. They have a screw at the top that you can put into the screw of the wall plaque, so they can't take them with them. We have one in each room.
Oddly enough, sometimes we find a guest has a transformer, and adapter and then their phone charger, all hanging down like an overburdened see-saw. I take it all out and plug their cable directly into the USB charger. But what I really want to get are these....
timthumb.php

How do they get those outlets to look like unhappy people?

Does the output voltage from the USB chargers matter?
  • My iPhone came with a wall plug that accepts the USB cord that charges the iPhone. The part that plugs into the wall says "Output 5 Volts/1 Amp".
  • My Kindle came with the same sort of wall plug that accepts a USB cord and it says "Output 4.9 Volts/0.85 Amp".
I know the numbers are close so surely it doesn't matter, but I worry about plugging the iPhone into the Kindle plug that's "underpowered" or plugging the Kindle into the iPhone plug that's "overpowered".

• My iPhone came with a wall plug that accepts the USB cord that charges the iPhone. The part that plugs into the wall says "Output 5 Volts/1 Amp".
  • My Kindle came with the same sort of wall plug that accepts a USB cord and it says "Output 4.9 Volts/0.85 Amp".
I know the numbers are close so surely it doesn't matter, but I worry about plugging the iPhone into the Kindle plug that's "underpowered" or plugging the Kindle into the iPhone plug that's "overpowered"..
The USB ports on a computer are standardized, 5V at a maximum of 6 Amps. They won't overdraw. The problem is underpowering, not overpowering. As long as you don't go over the standard 5V.

I know the numbers are close so surely it doesn't matter, but I worry about plugging the iPhone into the Kindle plug that's "underpowered" or plugging the Kindle into the iPhone plug that's "overpowered"..
The USB ports on a computer are standardized, 5V at a maximum of 6 Amps. They won't overdraw. The problem is underpowering, not overpowering. As long as you don't go over the standard 5V.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
The problem is underpowering, not overpowering. As long as you don't go over the standard 5V.
Good to know, thanks. I don't want guests saying it was my outlet that fried their gadget!

Have added:
chargers
roasting coffee beans
timthumb.php

there was another thread about a year ago with these on and where to buy them but they would be USA voltage so no use to me but is canada the same? you would have to search for it.

Back