Trip advisor and why I hate it - grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
If you post a comment, expect others to reply and join in on the conversation with their own opinions and experiences.
There is a love-hate relationship with TA for some innkeepers.
This is an innkeeper forum - so if you are NOT an innkeeper - please identify who you are or don't expect an open armed welcome.
Typically if someone posts other names on this forum without identifying themselves, will be looked on as spam - the real spam - useless information that none of us need or care about. Your posting needs to be relevant to this forum and THESE innkeepers. Thank you.

You can always write a management response to the comment:) Maybe a good thing to do. Someone hear actually even comments with thank you's to the poster:)

I usually do that, but they say to just leave them and not comment on that stuff unless it is a big deal. I thought about saying something about the wedding night...THIS couple knew that, as they were introduced at breakfast.
Hm, I will think about that.

I think I would leave it alone. I have had 2 reviews I was not happy with but both seemed to be answered by other posts later. I have even had guests comment on those very issues and think the posters were crazy. I pretend that I am clueless on the comments (not hard for me to do). One guest at breakfast said oh that suffle was wonderful, how could anyone mistake it as only a muffin. Next thing I know I have a wonderful post commenting on how great their suffle was.
Another poster said how nice the facility was, great breakfast but the X room was just a room, not worth the $. Now my rates compete well with the hotel market here but I have much more for the buck! In fact the X room even has a fireplace - not what you find at any of the chains here. I have since recieved several other postings commenting on the value of our place and how wonderful their room and experience was.
I say this so you will know that those comments will be taken care of by the many other happy guests you have and will take into your B&B. As the time passes you will find that those reading TA will look at ALL the posts and the 1 negitave issue will be washed away by all the good posts.

I think I would leave it alone. I have had 2 reviews I was not happy with but both seemed to be answered by other posts later. I have even had guests comment on those very issues and think the posters were crazy. I pretend that I am clueless on the comments (not hard for me to do). One guest at breakfast said oh that suffle was wonderful, how could anyone mistake it as only a muffin. Next thing I know I have a wonderful post commenting on how great their suffle was.
Another poster said how nice the facility was, great breakfast but the X room was just a room, not worth the $. Now my rates compete well with the hotel market here but I have much more for the buck! In fact the X room even has a fireplace - not what you find at any of the chains here. I have since recieved several other postings commenting on the value of our place and how wonderful their room and experience was.
I say this so you will know that those comments will be taken care of by the many other happy guests you have and will take into your B&B. As the time passes you will find that those reading TA will look at ALL the posts and the 1 negitave issue will be washed away by all the good posts..
Excellent point. A guest review contradicting an earlier review often covers more ground than the innkeeper response. Though waiting for the next review to come in can seem like a watched pot.

Had one recently that said the dislike was that you don't get all the amenities of a chain hotel. Sigh.

This was just emailed to me from a guest:
Greetings, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Wrote a review but I didn't submit it because Trip Advisor wanted me to become a member; didn't want to give them my email and create an account. B and A.

Greetings, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Wrote a review but I didn't submit it because Trip Advisor wanted me to become a member; didn't want to give them my email and create an account. B and A.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Yes, this IS a problem I find. Those that ENJOYED their stay will not take the time to register at a site. The ones that want to complain find every weephole out there to do so and do not mind the hours it takes or the emails it brings.

Just got one for bandb.com
Made special gluten free and veg meals for her entire stay, including snacks (Of which, she ate everything!) She left a glowing review but only gave us four stars for every category, including food! I guess no matter what you do....
cry_smile.gif

last year, it was brought to my attention, by a guest that was reading TA posting about my inn, that a "local expert" had created a post stating that i had posted comments about my own inn. The reality was, we had just taken over our Inn a few weeks before & until becoming B&B owners, we had not even heard of TA. I was quite bothered by it but did not respond because i was not really sure what to respond with. any thoughts? has anyone else ever had this happen?

last year, it was brought to my attention, by a guest that was reading TA posting about my inn, that a "local expert" had created a post stating that i had posted comments about my own inn. The reality was, we had just taken over our Inn a few weeks before & until becoming B&B owners, we had not even heard of TA. I was quite bothered by it but did not respond because i was not really sure what to respond with. any thoughts? has anyone else ever had this happen?.
If you can prove to TA that the posted comments were made before you arrived, they will take them out and give you a clean slate and then you don't have to respond at all...
We had one here that really did write their own and ended up #2, that was not fair at all, but it didn't take long for them to get bumped way down, so the karma came around...

I just wanted you to know that there is recourse to items posted on Trip Advisor. I'm talking about false and libelous information that is really damaging, not your ordinary run of the mill complaints that may or may not be true.
First of all they are not listed as a Better Business Bureau accredited business and have been given a C+ rating based on unresolved customer complaints. They show 1 complaint in the last 36 months which is deceiving because the BBB won't even accept a complaint against Trip Advisor that doesn't involve a financial transaction. That negates any complaints regarding false and libelous reviews which I'm sure would be numerous if they were allowed and lower their grade to F.
Get the truth, then go is a joke when they allow anyone to post anything whether they have been to an establishment or not, and ignore their own guidlines for reviews.
In addition, when they do get something negative, they will often highlight it in their sequence so that it comes up ahead of more recent positive reviews. In their opinion, the more provocative the better because it drives more business to their site. They don't care that they are throwing the innkeeper under the bus.
Another trick is that they will take out ads on the search engines in the name of your business so that it will get even more coverage, just in case it isn't coming up high enough in the listings.
The Attorney General of Massachusetts has said that she will take action against them if she receives enough complaints. So I urge your readers who have such complaints to submit them to her.
You can also post comments to Clark Howard on ClarkHoward.com since he is an avid fan and plugs them often along with Yelp.

For those of you who don't know who Clark Howard is, he is a self-made millionaire turned consumer advocate, who has long had a radio show but has now gotten his own TV show on CNN.
Upon doing a little research, I found out that he earned his millions running a travel agency. Now if I'm not mistaken, most travel agents don't look kindly on Trip Advisor because they feel it is unprofessional and steals their business.
So why would a former travel agent use Trip Advisor, knowing how unreliable some of the reviews can be, to plan his recent vacation to Las Vegas?
I smell a rat.

For those of you who don't know who Clark Howard is, he is a self-made millionaire turned consumer advocate, who has long had a radio show but has now gotten his own TV show on CNN.
Upon doing a little research, I found out that he earned his millions running a travel agency. Now if I'm not mistaken, most travel agents don't look kindly on Trip Advisor because they feel it is unprofessional and steals their business.
So why would a former travel agent use Trip Advisor, knowing how unreliable some of the reviews can be, to plan his recent vacation to Las Vegas?
I smell a rat..
SweetiePie said:
I smell a rat.
Who are you and why should we care about the ax you seem to want to grind against Mr Howard? The sum total of your posts seem to want to foment a rebellion toward this person. How about you introduce yourself and explain exactly how Mr Howard has harmed your business so much so that you would post anonymously on forum about innkeeping that we should 'smell a rat' and go after Mr Howard for your benefit.

I smell a rat..
SweetiePie said:
I smell a rat.
Who are you and why should we care about the ax you seem to want to grind against Mr Howard? The sum total of your posts seem to want to foment a rebellion toward this person. How about you introduce yourself and explain exactly how Mr Howard has harmed your business so much so that you would post anonymously on forum about innkeeping that we should 'smell a rat' and go after Mr Howard for your benefit.
OUCH! This is a welcoming group isn't it? You're in, what is it, the hospitality industry? That's right. Gotta tell you I'm not feeling the love right now or the hospitality.
Let's see, what's the topic of this thread? Trip Advisor and Why I Hate It
No, I don't hate Clark Howard. I actually enjoy his show very much. I do think we need to keep him honest though. What I hate and find somewhat suspicious, is his constant plugging of Trip Advisor and his surprise that their would be a backlash, as there has been to it.
He has no problem going after United Airlines: I believe that's his current target, but Trip Advisor who is guilty of equally bad behavior, seems to be a sacred cow. I wish he would tackle some of their abuses when it comes to both hotels and smaller establishments, like B and Bs.
I believe this problem with Trip Advisor began with an article from Times Online entitled "We're Clean Pledges Tripadvisor" from 5/23/07. In it they were accused of allowing false reviews by hoteliers so they cracked down on that by implementing the algorithm system.
The problem is that they have not applied the same strict standards to reviewers. They have stated guidelines against public smear campaigns but then allow individuals to write false and libelous comments about a business and ignore the business' requests to have it removed.
There must be something short of a lawsuit that will force them to apply the same strict standards to reviewers that they have to hoteliers. So far, the only ones who have been successful in having these offending reviews removed, have been those willing to take legal action, as in the Yelp complaint. Perhaps that is because Steven Kaufman, founder of Trip Advisor, is an attorney.

I smell a rat..
SweetiePie said:
I smell a rat.
OUCH! This is a welcoming group isn't it? You're in, what is it, the hospitality industry? That's right. Gotta tell you I'm not feeling the love right now or the hospitality.
No, I don't hate Clark Howard. I actually enjoy his show very much. I do think we need to keep him honest though. What I hate and find somewhat suspicious, is his constant plugging of Trip Advisor and his surprise that their would be a backlash, as there has been to it.
He has no problem going after United Airlines: I believe that's his current target, but Trip Advisor who is guilty of equally bad behavior, seems to be a sacred cow. I wish he would tackle some of their abuses when it comes to both hotels and smaller establishments, like B and Bs.
I believe this problem with Trip Advisor began with an article from Times Online entitled "We're Clean Pledges Tripadvisor" from 5/23/07. In it they were accused of allowing false reviews by hoteliers so they cracked down on that by implementing the algorithm system.
The problem is that they have not applied the same strict standards to reviewers. They have stated guidelines against public smear campaigns but then allow individuals to write false and libelous comments about a business and ignore the business' requests to have it removed.
There must be something short of a lawsuit that will force them to apply the same strict standards to reviewers that they have to hoteliers. So far, the only ones who have been successful in having these offending reviews removed, have been those willing to take legal action, as in the Yelp complaint. Perhaps that is because Steven Kaufman, founder of Trip Advisor, is an attorney.
Hi Sweetiepie and welcome to Innspiring.com
We are in the hospitality industry, however being a forum we also get some comments that appear out of nowhere on on these older threads (this one being 6 months old now) that are dropped by spambots with links to other sites touting one thing or another. They also often do this tag team thing where they post and then followup their own post a day later. Unfortunately, yours kind of fit that footprint. Fortunately, you've answered back so we know you are a human ;)
I am guessing that this topic is important to you as it is the only one you've read and participated in so far and the reason you posted a nearly identical post on clarkhoward.com
I am also guessing that you are an innkeeper and have had a bad TripAdvisor experience or you wouldn't be here slamming them.
You may be interested to read through a post from Jay Karen (president of the Professional Association of Innkeepers International - PAII) where he describes his efforts at helping TripAdvisor see things from the point of view of innkeepers.
When did the Atty General of MA make this declaration that she would take action against TA if she receives enough complaints? I haven't seen that before and can't find reference to it.

I smell a rat..
SweetiePie said:
I smell a rat.
Right, you got it. Hospitality. Which means you introduce yourself, 'Hi, I'm (whoever you are) and boy am I mad at TripAdvisor because...(explain why you are mad at TA) and that dang Clark Howard because he (what again is it that he does that peeves you so?) and boy am I ever glad I found a group of people like you!'
However, you chose to jump in and start rambling on about TA and the BBB and Clark Howard and never explained why we should care.
Do YOU belong to the BBB?
You've complained about Clark Howard on his own site. Did you get a response? Why are you agitating over here for all of us to go on his site and complain about him? Heck, I've never even heard of the guy.
We all have bad TA reviews (well, not all of us, but I do) but you work in the system to get those things resolved. You're tilting at the wrong windmill. Go after TA if that's where your bad reviews are (if that is what this is all about).
Luckily, I have not had a bad TA review that I could not understand the guest's POV in the complaint. She was here, she was unhappy, she wrote a review, I responded.
I think you should do a search on TA on this forum and read what Jay Karen from PAII has to say about his meeting with them.
welcome.gif

I smell a rat..
SweetiePie said:
I smell a rat.
Hi Sweetiepie and welcome to Innspiring.com
We are in the hospitality industry, however being a forum we also get some comments that appear out of nowhere on on these older threads (this one being 6 months old now) that are dropped by spambots with links to other sites touting one thing or another. They also often do this tag team thing where they post and then followup their own post a day later. Unfortunately, yours kind of fit that footprint. Fortunately, you've answered back so we know you are a human ;)
I am guessing that this topic is important to you as it is the only one you've read and participated in so far and the reason you posted a nearly identical post on clarkhoward.com
I am also guessing that you are an innkeeper and have had a bad TripAdvisor experience or you wouldn't be here slamming them.
You may be interested to read through a post from Jay Karen (president of the Professional Association of Innkeepers International - PAII) where he describes his efforts at helping TripAdvisor see things from the point of view of innkeepers.
When did the Atty General of MA make this declaration that she would take action against TA if she receives enough complaints? I haven't seen that before and can't find reference to it.
swirt said:
Thanks for posting that link. Also, thanks for mentioning the MA gov's statement as I also could find no reference at all, anywhere, that the MA gov has taken a stand on TA.

I thought I posted a reply a few days ago but I guess not. Why don't you all stop worrying about trip advisor? Stop looking at it and stop asking guests to write comments. I think you are giving it much more importance that it's worth.
Yes, I use it when I'm travelling but I also use common sense when reading reviews.

I thought I posted a reply a few days ago but I guess not. Why don't you all stop worrying about trip advisor? Stop looking at it and stop asking guests to write comments. I think you are giving it much more importance that it's worth.
Yes, I use it when I'm travelling but I also use common sense when reading reviews..
You did, it was over here ;)

Back