Trip Advisor Business Listings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't sound like the best place to put my money. Thanks for the input..
Just a thought:
I recently stumbled upon a site of a startup consulting company (looks very new) that is trying something that, to my knowledge, is a new strategy. Instead of paying for listings on trip advisor or simmilar sites, they will manage (on commision only) listings on all of the relatively new and hight traffic so called "reservations 2.0" sites like airbnb. I inquired and was fairly impressed. In the past I've been somewhat skeptical about these sorts of sites - but the risk seems very low, and those sites do seem to be gaining a fair amount of traction. The website was groundbnb.webs.com. I would love to know what you or anyone else thinks about it.
Matt said:
Just a thought:
I recently stumbled upon a site of a startup consulting company (looks very new) that is trying something that, to my knowledge, is a new strategy. Instead of paying for listings on trip advisor or simmilar sites, they will manage (on commision only) listings on all of the relatively new and hight traffic so called "reservations 2.0" sites like airbnb. I inquired and was fairly impressed. In the past I've been somewhat skeptical about these sorts of sites - but the risk seems very low, and those sites do seem to be gaining a fair amount of traction. The website was groundbnb.webs.com. I would love to know what you or anyone else thinks about it.
I would never do business with a consultant that touts AirBnB as a place to put my listing. That's a site where you see everything from renting a couch in some kid's apartment to a whole house. They don't mention the top billers where I DO want to be listed. It's a total waste of money. It would take you 5 minutes to list yourself on AirBnB.
RIki
A friend of mine just went to CA and they used Air Bnb for some of their lodging (her boyfriend's idea). Arrived at one house where the homeowner's girlfriend didn't know that this arrangement was made and she was having some kind of shaman chanting retreat with some friends. It was evening and they had to negotiate to stay (unfamiliar with the area and other lodging alternatives, plus they had already paid the homeowner). The homeowner's girlfriend was convinced that their presence would change the whole energy of the gathering. They had to basically hide in their room and be quiet as church mice. They were supposed to have the run of the place. Not good........
It makes a really good story, tho! And you have to wonder how many other people they've pulled that trick on.
They didn't have to pay more money or anything. They just thought they'd have to go try and find somewhere else to stay.
It was the whole changing the energy of the chanting retreat thing that they had to talk their way through. My friend could laugh after the fact, but when you fly cross country and then drive an hour or so and are exhausted....it was weird. But, it does make a good story after the fact. She said there are more and she would never use that as a way to stay anywhere again.
What I was wondering was how many other people just left. They keep the money and continue on with the shaman routine with the GF 'knowing nothing' about someone staying over.

Just a thought:
Matt said:
Just a thought:
I would never do business with a consultant that touts AirBnB as a place to put my listing. That's a site where you see everything from renting a couch in some kid's apartment to a whole house. They don't mention the top billers where I DO want to be listed. It's a total waste of money. It would take you 5 minutes to list yourself on AirBnB.
RIki
A friend of mine just went to CA and they used Air Bnb for some of their lodging (her boyfriend's idea). Arrived at one house where the homeowner's girlfriend didn't know that this arrangement was made and she was having some kind of shaman chanting retreat with some friends. It was evening and they had to negotiate to stay (unfamiliar with the area and other lodging alternatives, plus they had already paid the homeowner). The homeowner's girlfriend was convinced that their presence would change the whole energy of the gathering. They had to basically hide in their room and be quiet as church mice. They were supposed to have the run of the place. Not good........
It makes a really good story, tho! And you have to wonder how many other people they've pulled that trick on.
They didn't have to pay more money or anything. They just thought they'd have to go try and find somewhere else to stay.
It was the whole changing the energy of the chanting retreat thing that they had to talk their way through. My friend could laugh after the fact, but when you fly cross country and then drive an hour or so and are exhausted....it was weird. But, it does make a good story after the fact. She said there are more and she would never use that as a way to stay anywhere again.
What I was wondering was how many other people just left. They keep the money and continue on with the shaman routine with the GF 'knowing nothing' about someone staying over.
No, not a scam....You gotta understand these Californians and these things. ;-)

Just a thought:
Matt said:
Just a thought:
RIki
Hi everyone,
I did not intend on "hijacking" this message board - it just seemed a little bit relevant. I have never posted before, and I was curious to hear what other people had to say about this guy. Thanks for the feedback!

Just a thought:
Matt said:
Just a thought:
RIki
Hi everyone,
I did not intend on "hijacking" this message board - it just seemed a little bit relevant. I have never posted before, and I was curious to hear what other people had to say about this guy. Thanks for the feedback!
No we didn't mean hijcaking the board...just this thread. We tend to all go off of the subject at one time or another...but it makes it difficult to find stuff later if we need it. Stick around and join the talk.

Just a thought:
Matt said:
Just a thought:
RIki
Hi everyone,
No we didn't mean hijcaking the board...just this thread. We tend to all go off of the subject at one time or another...but it makes it difficult to find stuff later if we need it. Stick around and join the talk.
Gotcha - i made a resource post instead. Is that correct protocol?

Just a thought:
Matt said:
Just a thought:
RIki
Hi everyone,
Gotcha - i made a resource post instead. Is that correct protocol?
YEs..resources.

Just a thought:
Matt ([FONT= 'lucida sans unicode']Elan Weinstock founder of the groundbnb)[/FONT][FONT= 'lucida sans unicode'] has not played by the forum rules and has gotten himself banned. [/FONT]
Vendors must operate in plain view, not hide behind crap like "I recently stumbled upon a site of a startup..."

Just a thought:
Matt ([FONT= 'lucida sans unicode']Elan Weinstock founder of the groundbnb)[/FONT][FONT= 'lucida sans unicode'] has not played by the forum rules and has gotten himself banned. [/FONT]
Vendors must operate in plain view, not hide behind crap like "I recently stumbled upon a site of a startup..."
Thank you, Swirt...your job is never easy!

Just a thought:
swirt said:
[FONT= 'lucida sans unicode']
[/FONT]
You know none of believed him!

I don't mind listing with sights that work on a commission basis or with agencies etc but I flat out refuse to work with anyone who says pay a flat fee and we will do a ton of business with you. My dad years ago and against my advice signed us up with a company on this basis but wrote into the contract if we didn't make our money back in 6 months then we would get it back (total in 6 months 5 nights booking) had to fight hard but got the money back. Turned out they were part of another compancy (worked out of the same office) that did work on commission so signed you up with company A then sent you reservations through compancy B so you were charged twice if you see what I mean. Very cheeky. I work on the basis I will pay happily for what I get but I am not paying for what I might get.

I don't mind listing with sights that work on a commission basis or with agencies etc but I flat out refuse to work with anyone who says pay a flat fee and we will do a ton of business with you. My dad years ago and against my advice signed us up with a company on this basis but wrote into the contract if we didn't make our money back in 6 months then we would get it back (total in 6 months 5 nights booking) had to fight hard but got the money back. Turned out they were part of another compancy (worked out of the same office) that did work on commission so signed you up with company A then sent you reservations through compancy B so you were charged twice if you see what I mean. Very cheeky. I work on the basis I will pay happily for what I get but I am not paying for what I might get..
So you are not signed up with such things as bedandbreakfast.com, correct? Where you pay an annual fee in hopes of getting your money back. I had to adopt a similar policy a year ago. Now whenever I get a sales call I ask, "can you make a commission arrangement", as they can NOT guarantee what I will get for my "investment". I am sometimes tempted to join the annual fee sites.

We will all gather back here in the late Fall and discuss, please. All of us who gave it a shot shall share our data on this subject. For me so far it is not a big resource for click throughs. But if I were in a touristy area, I would be more inclined to keep it..
Joey Bloggs said:
But if I were in a touristy area, I would be more inclined to keep it.
We're on Loch Ness, you don't get much more touristy than that, but still pretty bad performance for the money.

Highlands J please come back at the end of the year, we will have a TA party here on the forum and share our finds from our Biz Listings this year. We can see if it is worth the $ for any of us. I better put that on my outlook calendar as a reminder!

We will all gather back here in the late Fall and discuss, please. All of us who gave it a shot shall share our data on this subject. For me so far it is not a big resource for click throughs. But if I were in a touristy area, I would be more inclined to keep it..
Joey Bloggs said:
We're on Loch Ness, you don't get much more touristy than that, but still pretty bad performance for the money.
If you are not from the UK and have no idea where loch ness is or what it is then it is the equivalent of being next to the eiffel tower or empire state building thousands of people come to see if they can see the monster. Have you ever seen it John?

I don't mind listing with sights that work on a commission basis or with agencies etc but I flat out refuse to work with anyone who says pay a flat fee and we will do a ton of business with you. My dad years ago and against my advice signed us up with a company on this basis but wrote into the contract if we didn't make our money back in 6 months then we would get it back (total in 6 months 5 nights booking) had to fight hard but got the money back. Turned out they were part of another compancy (worked out of the same office) that did work on commission so signed you up with company A then sent you reservations through compancy B so you were charged twice if you see what I mean. Very cheeky. I work on the basis I will pay happily for what I get but I am not paying for what I might get..
So you are not signed up with such things as bedandbreakfast.com, correct? Where you pay an annual fee in hopes of getting your money back. I had to adopt a similar policy a year ago. Now whenever I get a sales call I ask, "can you make a commission arrangement", as they can NOT guarantee what I will get for my "investment". I am sometimes tempted to join the annual fee sites.
I signed up for one a year ago as it was two years for $40 I thought well even if I get nothing I havn't gone mad with the budget and to be frank since Jan I have had squat.

Joey Bloggs said:
If you are not from the UK and have no idea where loch ness is or what it is then it is the equivalent of being next to the eiffel tower or empire state building thousands of people come to see if they can see the monster. Have you ever seen it John?
Rest assured that although most have no idea exactly WHERE (other than Scotland) Loch Ness is, most everyone knows about Nessie.

Back