Trip advisor renewal!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
$495 auto renewal charged when I called and specified NO!!!!
on the phone again right now!!!!
If you have questions about this order, please call us at 1-866-322-5942 [/h3]
gee what a surprise aye

YOWZA
wow.gif

I hope they will resolve it quickly for you.
I wish I could say I was surprised...

They said "It shows the auto renew was turned off, not sure what happened" mean while there is $495 charged to my credit card. I said "Who gave you authorization to KEEP MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS?"
See what the heck, PCI MU BUTT!
They are crediting my account, I am totally ticked off. Check your cc people, you may have been charged as well. After spending MUCH TIME to get the point across I do not want to renew.
Yeah they said they would fix it and apologized, BUT SO DID THE DUDE who said it is turned off and I would not be charged.

they should refund you plus some form of compensation for the inconvenience and hypothetically you could have been overdrawn and charged by your bank! grrr tri p adviser grrr

Hi JB,

Once again, I sincerely apologize for the renewal charge on your card this morning. It should not have occurred.

We have refunded the full $495. This refund will be processed within the next business day. Please note it may take 2-3 additional business days for the fund to appear on your credit card statement.

If you have any questions or concerns at all, please let me know.

Best,

Tyler

They said "It shows the auto renew was turned off, not sure what happened" mean while there is $495 charged to my credit card. I said "Who gave you authorization to KEEP MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS?"
They are crediting my account, I am totally ticked off. Check your cc people, you may have been charged as well. After spending MUCH TIME to get the point across I do not want to renew.
Yeah they said they would fix it and apologized, BUT SO DID THE DUDE who said it is turned off and I would not be charged..
Joey Bloggs said:
I said "Who gave you authorization to KEEP MY CREDIT CARD DETAILS?"
My big complaint as well. Everywhere you have ever used a card online kept the data. Supposedly, as long as they don't have the CVV code it's ok.

They tried to charge my renewal fee also - the credit card they had on file was the one that had been replaced by my credit card company since I bought the listing. Anyone who has taken the auto-renew OFF should be checking their charges.

We should all be vigilant about charges but things like that happen sometimes. It seems they were courteous and speedy in their response.

Update:
Trip advisor credited the $495 it accidentally charged me for a biz listing renewal when I asked them not to. FYI on the record.

Since not renewing I have now been inn-undated with daily emails telling me how a biz listing will have them breaking my door down!
I don't know about all of you, but I have iloveinns, Trip Advisor, BedandBreakfast.com and about 6 to 10 other unheard of directories EMAILING< CALLING AND MAILING postcards daily! I am totally fed up!!
oh and the for the record they are all offering killer deals to use them.

me the same they can kiss my bum before they get any of my money for advertising the gimps.

Since not renewing I have now been inn-undated with daily emails telling me how a biz listing will have them breaking my door down!
I don't know about all of you, but I have iloveinns, Trip Advisor, BedandBreakfast.com and about 6 to 10 other unheard of directories EMAILING< CALLING AND MAILING postcards daily! I am totally fed up!!
oh and the for the record they are all offering killer deals to use them..
US TOO! The I Love Inns messages are hilarious, they are trying to sound like a friend calling. Who???
Trip Advisor loves to show me how many times my listing has been looked at and wouldn't I like to have a direct link to my website? NO...the people I want are smart enough to type my name into a separate window, you don't get my $495!!!

and again, I just got another email from friggin' trip advisor! My spam filter is really full up at the moment...

I still get the TA emails for my biz which is closed and I am no longer listed on TA!!! Yes, aggravating......

US TOO! The I Love Inns messages are hilarious, they are trying to sound like a friend calling. Who???
Trip Advisor loves to show me how many times my listing has been looked at and wouldn't I like to have a direct link to my website? NO...the people I want are smart enough to type my name into a separate window, you don't get my $495!!!
10% off. Did you get that email? I'm waiting until it's back down to $300.

There is a wonderful thread on tnooz about how to use Trip Advisor written by one of the TA lackeys:
http://www.tnooz.com/2010/09/30/how-to/top-tips-for-hotels-when-responding-to-reviews-on-tripadvisor/
What's interesting is not so much the article, which is a compilation of platitudes about as intelligent as recommendations not to operate electrical appliances while taking a bath, as the comments on the article--including the ones that come from TA sources. Biggest beef: TA not willing to remove spurious and/or inaccurate comments.
Interestingly, the TA author of the article breaks one of his cardinal rules; replies to criticism are notably lacking in the comments section.
Trip Advisor is trying to branch out to get advertising revenue from inns, while remaining a forum for research for the traveling public. Can you spell "conflict of interest"?
We get business from guests who have seen traveler reviews about us on TA as well as other on-line sources. Our reviews are uniformly good.
However, we will never "get into bed" with Trip Advisor. We will never give them money; we will never put a link to our TA reviews on our site; we will never do anything to promote the company.
Why should we give money to a company that has a business model that promotes bad reviews: "The 10 Worst Hotels In the World" is a recent example on their home page. Are there really people out there who are itching (so to speak) to stay in a terrible hotel? This is pure entertainment. And be honest: don't you secretly check out your competition's TA reviews?
Bottom line: I wouldn't trust TA as far as I could throw their servers.
Make no mistake: we have had nothing but stellar reviews on TA. But the extension of their business model to being a marketing tool in addition to being a review site makes no sense to me. Let's face it: you have to be crazy to pay money to a website that actively promotes bad reviews, has a less-than-perfect record of policing comments, and waits until it is threatened with lawsuits before taking down libellous and/or slanderous statements made by people who may or may not have even stayed at a property!
We plan to use TA as we always have: we thank people who have given us good reviews, and we eye criticism and take steps to change things we have control over. Other than that: no joy for Trip Advisor from the High Mountain Lodge.

Back