Trip Advisor stars

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Trip Advisor the enigma.
We have 16 reviews - 15 all are 5 star and only 1 is 4 star. So on my overall it shows 5 1/2. What is the law of averages?
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
ooooo
and only one is
oooo
Just t'aint fair!

It's the probability will influence all outcomes in the long term...So it's a good thing for you only gamblers rely on the law of averages!
That's great to have that many positive reviews. TA is sort of bizarre. I recently stayed a B&B for my anniversary, and it was fantastic, the food, rooms, and everything else was really well done and you could tell the couple running it really knew their stuff. When I came home I decided to write something nice on TA about our stay, and I was honestly shocked to find all the negative reviews about this place. Some of them were posted only a few weeks before our stay, so unless it was the 'Jeckyll and Hyde bed and Breakfast' they must be made up.
This is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TA.
http://tinyurl.com/3antxz

We were very excited when we read our first reviews -- made us very, very happy. Come to find out that ANYONE can post there, as one of our guests (an exec with a computer company) told us. So, now, we don't hold much creedance with them.

It's the probability will influence all outcomes in the long term...So it's a good thing for you only gamblers rely on the law of averages!
That's great to have that many positive reviews. TA is sort of bizarre. I recently stayed a B&B for my anniversary, and it was fantastic, the food, rooms, and everything else was really well done and you could tell the couple running it really knew their stuff. When I came home I decided to write something nice on TA about our stay, and I was honestly shocked to find all the negative reviews about this place. Some of them were posted only a few weeks before our stay, so unless it was the 'Jeckyll and Hyde bed and Breakfast' they must be made up.
http://tinyurl.com/3antxz.
Not sure "funny" is the word that comes to mind...
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

Not sure "funny" is the word that comes to mind...
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
I think I was laughing so hard as I read through it because it is exactly like 'Fawlty Towers'. I almost think it's fake. For instance, anyone familiar with the joys of 'The Office' will know about this wonderful B&B.
http://tinyurl.com/yo5dhl

I noticed all of a sudden that I have 5 stars. Even tho I have several 4 stars ratings. No clue.

We were very excited when we read our first reviews -- made us very, very happy. Come to find out that ANYONE can post there, as one of our guests (an exec with a computer company) told us. So, now, we don't hold much creedance with them. .
trishany said:
We were very excited when we read our first reviews -- made us very, very happy. Come to find out that ANYONE can post there, as one of our guests (an exec with a computer company) told us. So, now, we don't hold much creedance with them.
Who did you think posted to TA? Travel writers? It's the people who stay with you. If it isn't the people who stya with you, then you can open a grievance with TA.

Definitely Fawlty Towers material. I am a little intrigued, tho, by one of the reviewers who stated he paid $650 US but his entire review was definitely written by a Brit.

Congratulations!! We have got many reservations just from the reviews on TA. We are getting more and more guests booking and they said they found us on TA.
I know we use TA when we travel.

We were very excited when we read our first reviews -- made us very, very happy. Come to find out that ANYONE can post there, as one of our guests (an exec with a computer company) told us. So, now, we don't hold much creedance with them. .
trishany said:
Who did you think posted to TA? Travel writers? It's the people who stay with you. If it isn't the people who stya with you, then you can open a grievance with TA.
Yes, yes all the people who posted stayed with us. I didn't even know about TA.
When I found out about TA, I went to the site and there were six reviews for us.

I know, I know....it's so weird. We have 7 reviews now - all 5 stars, all 5 stars within the reviews. We are rated 4.5 stars. Other B&Bs have 12 reviews, 4 reviews and no reviews. The ones with reviews have some not so good reviews. We just now moved to #2. The 4th B&B has been out of business for longer than we've lived here. It is weird and we'll probably never be able to figure it out, but I am happy that people like it here
teeth_smile.gif

trishany said:
When I found out about TA, I went to the site and there were six reviews for us.
trishany said:
Very good reviews, too! Good job!

Another issue I've had on TripAdvisor when running a search is that it will only show me hotels/b&bs within the town I provide--no suburbs or outskirts. I like how hotels.com and other search engines do a radius. Is there a work-around I'm missing from either the perspective of an inn or potential guest?

trishany said:
trishany said:
Very good reviews, too! Good job!
You, too, Bree, congrats!!!

We currently have 13-5 star reviews and yet we are #2 behind another inn with 13 reviews at 4.5 stars...I don't get it!

One X factor with trip advisor is the 'Was this review helpful?' buttons they have. Depending on how many people rate the review helpful/unhelpful and how many people have sent accolades to that reviewer, it can influence and weight the various reviews. I know if enough peopel click that a review was un-helpful, that review will have less weight than one that is highly rated. I don't the specific numbers, but from what I understand that is part of teh equation as well.

IvyLee said:
http://tinyurl.com/3antxz
You never know where those reviews come from. I HOPE YOU WRITE THEM A GOOD ONE.
I stayed at a B&B from a member of this forum and got knocked back left and right every time I wrote a review on TA. It never stuck. I emailed them and told them I STAYED THERE! I HAVE A RCPT! They would not let it stick.
I may have stayed at that UK place. The rooms were so small I COULD NOT GET MY ONE PIECE OF LUGGAGE IN THE DOOR and had no place for it in the room. I kid you not. Pathetic. One piece of toast with marmalade was the breakfast. It was RECOMMENDED by BRITISH AIRWAYS. I WROTE THEM A LETTER and they said TOUGH.

Of course anyone can post there..that is the point. You had better pay attention to Trip Advisor...it is just about the FIRST place anyone traveling looks to see how the inn or hotel is rated. I ALWAYS check TA before I make any plans to go anywhere...that is just the way it is!!
My best friends who are ranked # 2 in the country have certainly benefited from it!!! EVERYONE who stays with them says they "found them on Trip Advisor" Their business has SKYROCKETED because of it:)
Jay Karen was on here awhile back asking for input from innkeepers as they are meeting with them in Sept. Find that post and reply to him with all of these issues. This is one big major thing PAII is undertaking for the industry...the first in many many years...and we should be thankful for them finally taking on this challenge....even if you aren't member of PAII.

One X factor with trip advisor is the 'Was this review helpful?' buttons they have. Depending on how many people rate the review helpful/unhelpful and how many people have sent accolades to that reviewer, it can influence and weight the various reviews. I know if enough peopel click that a review was un-helpful, that review will have less weight than one that is highly rated. I don't the specific numbers, but from what I understand that is part of teh equation as well..
IvyLee said:
One X factor with trip advisor is the 'Was this review helpful?' buttons they have. Depending on how many people rate the review helpful/unhelpful and how many people have sent accolades to that reviewer, it can influence and weight the various reviews. I know if enough peopel click that a review was un-helpful, that review will have less weight than one that is highly rated. I don't the specific numbers, but from what I understand that is part of teh equation as well.
Thank you for saying that. I always click the review was helpful on colleagues T.A. pages.

Of course anyone can post there..that is the point. You had better pay attention to Trip Advisor...it is just about the FIRST place anyone traveling looks to see how the inn or hotel is rated. I ALWAYS check TA before I make any plans to go anywhere...that is just the way it is!!
My best friends who are ranked # 2 in the country have certainly benefited from it!!! EVERYONE who stays with them says they "found them on Trip Advisor" Their business has SKYROCKETED because of it:)
Jay Karen was on here awhile back asking for input from innkeepers as they are meeting with them in Sept. Find that post and reply to him with all of these issues. This is one big major thing PAII is undertaking for the industry...the first in many many years...and we should be thankful for them finally taking on this challenge....even if you aren't member of PAII.
Yup, yup, great site.

Back