Tripadvisor business listings. Have you canceled or do you plan to cancel? Info needed please

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did not take out a listing. Their price was to high for our B&B. Also I find the people that go to t place are people that are looking for the cheapest price vise a great experience at a good price. Those people very seldom become a regular customer. Social media gives people the right to say what every they want with no attribution. Same goes for b .com or any other OTA. They take our customers they are not ours it is their customer's. You just become a provider of beds, any one who uses an OTA is more likely to use an OTA every time they decide to a book a room. There is no loyalty to the last B&B they used. I feel this more as we are small and not an Inn. My profit drops It seem like we are working for them and not for ourselves. It is time to make a stand on them . That we stay on top .!!!!.
Most of the people who have stayed with us this Fall mentioned that they chose us based on t a reviews.
That's worth quite a bit to us.
TheBeachHouse said:
Most of the people who have stayed with us this Fall mentioned that they chose us based on t a reviews.
Other inns here saw a big jump when they listed. We regularly hear that 'TA shows you don't have any rooms' because they put their dates in and, right, we don't have any rooms on TA! It's a PITA. SOME guests call and ask, how many don't?
What they charge depends on your area. Some are over $100/month.
Wish it was just $100 per month. We pay $165/month
Oh my gosh!
it is our most expensive advertising at about $2000/year!

We did not take out a listing. Their price was to high for our B&B. Also I find the people that go to t place are people that are looking for the cheapest price vise a great experience at a good price. Those people very seldom become a regular customer. Social media gives people the right to say what every they want with no attribution. Same goes for b .com or any other OTA. They take our customers they are not ours it is their customer's. You just become a provider of beds, any one who uses an OTA is more likely to use an OTA every time they decide to a book a room. There is no loyalty to the last B&B they used. I feel this more as we are small and not an Inn. My profit drops It seem like we are working for them and not for ourselves. It is time to make a stand on them . That we stay on top .!!!!.
TheBeachHouse said:
Other inns here saw a big jump when they listed. We regularly hear that 'TA shows you don't have any rooms' because they put their dates in and, right, we don't have any rooms on TA! It's a PITA. SOME guests call and ask, how many don't?
Oh my gosh!
In the words of Frank Barone, "Holy CRAP!"

TheBeachHouse said:
Oh my gosh!
gillumhouse said:
I couldn't get a word out after that big gasp I took!

I tried them for a year. We got very little traffic through the link. If you look at the site you will see why. It is not obvious where to click. The reviews are nice and hopefully beneficial to us and them but otherwise I think people use it as a resource after they find us.

Tried it for almost 2 years; cancelled. Saw no business return. We can monitor incoming web hits. TA was costing us about $4.50/click and did not have a higher conversion rate. Not worth it. Our web site link was very hard for visitors to find, and is of course a served link so no SEO value.
Plus I can't stand the big banner next to the inn photo taking visitors away from our page to the TC listings. Why pay for someone who actively promotes against you?

TheBeachHouse said:
Oh my gosh!
gillumhouse said:
We renewed for another year and than will see. That is the price to join the club in a large city and we are not alone there paying that.

TheBeachHouse said:
Oh my gosh!
gillumhouse said:
We renewed for another year and than will see. That is the price to join the club in a large city and we are not alone there paying that.
I guess if we try TRI p connect, we won't be too far from that.

Tried them for 3 months on a free deal several years ago but found that they are much more interested in promoting bigger places who subscribe to some of their partners like Ex ped ia. I got no business from the listing and very little action.
We are in a seasonal location where there are not enough rooms to go around for 4 months and very few visitors looking for accommodations the other 8 months of the year. Perhaps if you are in a very competitive market and have a need to fill every room every night it pays, but for a small fry like us it was a waste of money.

interesting development after my latest email to TA. The retentions mgr wants a word again. Phone call scheduled for next Thursday ..
I actually gave them quotes from 60 BB's that were saying they would never do a business listing or had/were canceling . Don't worry, no names or towns were given

interesting development after my latest email to TA. The retentions mgr wants a word again. Phone call scheduled for next Thursday ..
I actually gave them quotes from 60 BB's that were saying they would never do a business listing or had/were canceling . Don't worry, no names or towns were given.
I will never get a business listing with them. They do not list B & Bs is a way to be easily found for one thing. For another - if they are taking MY money, they have lost their credibility as a neutral party. To retain my money, they have a vested interest to keep me - and a happy me. That is not neutral. Reviews? There are so many review sites out there now, people no longer want to be bothered to do them.

I actually gave them quotes from 60 BB's that were saying they would never do a business listing or had/were canceling . Don't worry, no names or towns were given.
This will be our 3rd year. They wanted to up the price by 45.6%. I spoke to my account manager, who was a great listener, threw all my Analytics numbers at her, and was able to renew at a mere 5% increase, plus she threw in a free Mobile listing. Being included in their weekly Specials email to over 2500+ people has definitely produced quantifiable results re package sales.

Brewster Inn said:
.......would never do a business listing or had/were canceling ........
No longer have our listing, hasn't had any negative effect on booking, has had a positive effect on our budget, don't miss them. Never say never, but unless YHWH himself stops by and says to re-up with TA, never again.

This will be our 3rd year. They wanted to up the price by 45.6%. I spoke to my account manager, who was a great listener, threw all my Analytics numbers at her, and was able to renew at a mere 5% increase, plus she threw in a free Mobile listing. Being included in their weekly Specials email to over 2500+ people has definitely produced quantifiable results re package sales.
Momma Smurf said:
Momma, good for you. They are good at throwing numbers out at us but unless we have info to throw back at them, they have the advantage.
My last call from the TA rep touted the great response they are getting from properties regarding the weekly emails. This idea works wonders for some, mainly those in bigger markets.
They have also added another 'benefit' to those with a business listing - the banner ad at the top of the lodging page for your city. They feel adding these additions gives them the backing to substantiate the higher rates.

Since I emailed to cancel mine my business manager has called me also.
I've been comparing Adw ords with TA and it's interesting.
I current average 41p per click on adw whereas given my 12 months stats from TA I'm paying 70p per click, surely the answer there is to switch my ta budget to adw ?
However in TAs favour my bounce rate for ta is 27% whereas adw is 45%, ......
If I take my total click through for each over the last 12 months, and remove the click throughs who simply bounced and then spread the charge over the remaining clicks it's closer but adw still wins.
Quality Click Throughs TA 95p each ADW 82p each.
All of which does not address my main issue with ta and my account manager has manager to ignore this point so far, I'm paying for a tiny link at the top of the page whilst, because I don't use any booking engines such as b.c there is a large banner on my page encouraging my potetial customers to do availability searches with my competitors.
It's like Colgate paying for a prime time TV ad and in the middle of it the smiling housewife with bright white teeth turning to the camera and saying "if you don't like the taste of colgate here are a list of other toothpastes you may like to try".

I current average 41p per click on adw whereas given my 12 months stats from TA I'm paying 70p per click, surely the answer there is to switch my ta budget to adw ?
If I take my total click through for each over the last 12 months, and remove the click throughs who simply bounced and then spread the charge over the remaining clicks it's closer but adw still wins.
All of which does not address my main issue with ta and my account manager has manager to ignore this point so far, I'm paying for a tiny link at the top of the page whilst, because I don't use any booking engines such as b.c there is a large banner on my page encouraging my potetial customers to do availability searches with my competitors.
It's like Colgate paying for a prime time TV ad and in the middle of it the smiling housewife with bright white teeth turning to the camera and saying "if you don't like the taste of colgate here are a list of other toothpastes you may like to try".
Highlands John said:
Exactly!!

Highlands John said:
Spot on, HJ. And yet so many do this.
SAME goes for most of the B&B directories which we pay for listings yet they advertise others on our paid page listings.

Highlands John said:
SAME goes for most of the B&B directories which we pay for listings yet they advertise others on our paid page listings.
Agree, but I think ta goes just too far with this, not just displaying ads but actively encouraging people to go to other properties.

Highlands John said:
Agree, but I think ta goes just too far with this, not just displaying ads but actively encouraging people to go to other properties.
Damn straight. Every time I checked out the TA page it really offended me. That was the main reason I quit the paid service. Just plain wrong way to serve a customer.

Just wondering if anybody has renewed there TA business listing recently. We were quoted an amount almost double our previous year. Which without asking was reduced by 15%, I said it was too much and another 5% was reduced from the price. In their minds I'm getting 20% off, in my mind I'm paying a lot more than the previous year. Anybody else?

Just wondering if anybody has renewed there TA business listing recently. We were quoted an amount almost double our previous year. Which without asking was reduced by 15%, I said it was too much and another 5% was reduced from the price. In their minds I'm getting 20% off, in my mind I'm paying a lot more than the previous year. Anybody else?.
See my other thread.
Mine jumped about 50% from last year, was offered 10% discount, not good enough.
My googl e adwords campain is frequently limited by budget and gives me a much cheaper CPC than ta, so even if I was going to spend that amoung of money on online marketing (which I'm not) it would be far better spent increasing my adwords budget than giving it to ta.
And as I've said elsewhere, I REALLY object to the fact that I'm paying a lot of money (IMHO) for a tiny link on their page when they have a large box for dated searches actively encouraging my potential customers to search my local competitors for rooms.

Back