Tripadvisor NOW has a 'Recommended' area

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
Well Tripadvisor has changed their site again. Now when you search for lodging in your city you will get a list of "recommended' B&B's.
After doing my own area, I did a sample search using Atlanta. The search came up with 3 'recommended' B&B's. I know that there are alot more than 3 in Atlanta so how do you get to see the others? Well you have to go back up to the search box and at the bottom right corner it says 'Show All', click it and you will see the 29 B&B's in Atlanta. (go do a search & see) Now if we are having guests call us when they can not find the pictures of our rooms unless we talk them thru clicking the 'rooms' page link, how are they ever going to figure out this.
I haven't figured out how they chose the 'recommended' ones. At first I thought that they were the ones that are with hotels or expedia, but that was not it. I They are not (necessarily) the most popular or the most highly rated or that have the most reviews. Ya'll see what you can determine.

I thought that's the way it's been set up for awhile. There's a drop down box where the recommended are sorted by popularity, alphabetically, highest average price first, & lowest average price first. What I don't understand is that the most expensive B&B here is $9 less than my average price on TA. Their lowest priced room is $40 higher than my lowest priced room & they also have several rooms that are almost $400! The only way that's possible is that they've given the wrong room rates to the site!!

I don't get the recommended list when I search for my town. Too small, maybe?

I thought that's the way it's been set up for awhile. There's a drop down box where the recommended are sorted by popularity, alphabetically, highest average price first, & lowest average price first. What I don't understand is that the most expensive B&B here is $9 less than my average price on TA. Their lowest priced room is $40 higher than my lowest priced room & they also have several rooms that are almost $400! The only way that's possible is that they've given the wrong room rates to the site!!.
Samster said:
I thought that's the way it's been set up for awhile. There's a drop down box where the recommended are sorted by popularity, alphabetically, highest average price first, & lowest average price first. What I don't understand is that the most expensive B&B here is $9 less than my average price on TA. Their lowest priced room is $40 higher than my lowest priced room & they also have several rooms that are almost $400! The only way that's possible is that they've given the wrong room rates to the site!!
We wonder about TA rates, too. All I can figure is they take the rates they find doing a search and average them. The big place in town sometimes shows its average price as $100 even tho some rooms are over $250. I do know they take whatever prices you have posted on Expedia, tho and fit those into the mix.

I just looked and it is different depending on how you pull up their site. I used a link from the TA weekly newsletter I get. I routes you to there home page: www.tripadvisor.com/ this page is different than before. When I use to look up tripadvisor it looked mostly like this: www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g191-United_States-Vacations.html Do searches from each of these and you will get different results.
Using the same sample search with Atlanta: When using the the 2nd link above, the results are 198 Hotels, 29 B&Bs and 2 Sp. Lodging. When I use the home page, and type in Atlanta, the results show 30 hotels, 3 B&B's and 1 Sp. Lodging and the only way to see the is to go back the top and click the like to 'show all'.
I found the same with several different city searches including mine. I do not understand what TA is doing here but it is the pits. When I use the US page (2nd link) our B&B shows up, when I use the home page (1st link) NO B&B's show for our area unless I click the show all. I am ticked!
angry_smile.gif

Oh and I was mistaken when using the word recommended in my topic. I should have used the word Selective!

I just looked and it is different depending on how you pull up their site. I used a link from the TA weekly newsletter I get. I routes you to there home page: www.tripadvisor.com/ this page is different than before. When I use to look up tripadvisor it looked mostly like this: www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g191-United_States-Vacations.html Do searches from each of these and you will get different results.
Using the same sample search with Atlanta: When using the the 2nd link above, the results are 198 Hotels, 29 B&Bs and 2 Sp. Lodging. When I use the home page, and type in Atlanta, the results show 30 hotels, 3 B&B's and 1 Sp. Lodging and the only way to see the is to go back the top and click the like to 'show all'.
I found the same with several different city searches including mine. I do not understand what TA is doing here but it is the pits. When I use the US page (2nd link) our B&B shows up, when I use the home page (1st link) NO B&B's show for our area unless I click the show all. I am ticked!
angry_smile.gif
Sink some energy into giving Jay some info https://www.innspiring.com/node/835 for PAII to work with ;)

Back