TripAdvisor review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HJ it reminds me of the story I was telling a guest who asked for our cat to be out in the guest areas. I told her about the multiple incidents where someone freaked out over a cat:
#1) She was on the porch and a neighborhood cat walked by. She ran inside and told me "You said there were not cats here!" and checked out.
Of course I have no control over neighborhood cats! sheesh - and good riddance
#2) A couple here recently married. A cat in the house is taboo in their culture. She saw one in our quarters and screamed her lungs out and ran upstairs, her husband trailing behind her.
Those are two of the cat stories. These people did NOT write a review, but can you imagine THEIR PERSPECTIVE if they had? I am sure they would have called us liars, there are cats at the inn, cats on the property, cats everywhere!
This guest shook her head and said "I can't believe it!" I said, "Believe it, I have more if you want to listen..." :).
Sheesh!
Reviews are so subjective, the couple who left the review I referred to stayed in a mansion house charging 3x our rate and an expensive apartment in Edinburgh during their visit, we can't compete with that. We were doomed to get criticised for something before they'd even knocked on the door.
We had that too. Couple who had just come from Boston where they told me they were charged for parking, WiFi and breakfast and they rated us low on value. C'mon people.

HJ it reminds me of the story I was telling a guest who asked for our cat to be out in the guest areas. I told her about the multiple incidents where someone freaked out over a cat:
#1) She was on the porch and a neighborhood cat walked by. She ran inside and told me "You said there were not cats here!" and checked out.
#2) A couple here recently married. A cat in the house is taboo in their culture. She saw one in our quarters and screamed her lungs out and ran upstairs, her husband trailing behind her.
Those are two of the cat stories. These people did NOT write a review, but can you imagine THEIR PERSPECTIVE if they had? I am sure they would have called us liars, there are cats at the inn, cats on the property, cats everywhere!
This guest shook her head and said "I can't believe it!" I said, "Believe it, I have more if you want to listen..." :).
Sheesh!
Reviews are so subjective, the couple who left the review I referred to stayed in a mansion house charging 3x our rate and an expensive apartment in Edinburgh during their visit, we can't compete with that. We were doomed to get criticised for something before they'd even knocked on the door.
We had that too. Couple who had just come from Boston where they told me they were charged for parking, WiFi and breakfast and they rated us low on value. C'mon people.
Madeleine said:
Yeah that one gets you doesn't it! I had that one a FREE ROOM. You all remember me here shaking my head about it, how much better value could you get? And then we all discussed and said they probably looked at the reg rate and used THAT for the review or something stupid!

Sheesh!
Madeleine said:
Yeah that one gets you doesn't it! I had that one a FREE ROOM. You all remember me here shaking my head about it, how much better value could you get? And then we all discussed and said they probably looked at the reg rate and used THAT for the review or something stupid!
You can't fix stupid. http://youtu.be/fL6wbsGx9qw

We spent 1 night at this place and I can honestly say ... it was not what we had expected. The rooms were old & tacky not to mention the air stunk, the rooms stunk, the water stunk - and everything was dirty & stinky. We paid $70 for a room and we didn't even want to get under the comforter or sheets! We took our sleeping bags out of our backpacks and put them on top of the bed since everything looked so un-kept. Had we not been out in the middle of nowhere - we would have moved to another hotel that night.
So: We do not have $70.00 rooms. This review was so wrong and they did not even step foot on the property. Our cancellation policy is very good but less than 24 hours means the night's deposit is lost. She is angry. Look up the rest of my reviews: We are Deer Crossing Bed & Breakfast in Hamilton, Montana (Big Sky Country)
Thanks for you input, folks..
So sorry you are going through this. I've said it before, but you weren't here -- welcome, btw -- so I'll repeat it for you: I think the most important reviews are the bad ones, because they give me a clear insight into how much the innkeeper cares . . . about everything. More important than the review is the innkeeper's response. Is it polite or demeaning? Does it address the issue, or attempt to sidestep it? I think your response is good, and states the most important facts: this reviewer is upset over losing her deposit, and never actually stayed with you. Her intent is clear. What's good is that you stated she lost her deposit. She didn't follow the rules, and suffered the consequences. (Ahem, potential guests!)
What I do think you should add, though, is something that addresses the room charge. She says she paid $70. You don't have such a room, but you didn't mention that in your response. If you do, the whole assertion that the review is a lie is supported. If you just let it slide, potential guests will want the $70 room, too. Something to think about.
I will try to amend my response - the $70.00 note makes a lot of sense. I've learned so much in just 1/2 a day from you folks..
Many of us have had to suffer unjust reviews for one reason or another, it seems like the end of the world, it's not. Most important thing is to keep asking happy guests to post reviews. The bad one then becomes buried and less and less credible.
I had one last week, gave us 4/5 but complained of noise and compared us to a mansion or castle charging more than double our rate. Also made stupid comments about the area that are just not true. They are already down to no.3 and I'm trying to decide whether or not to respond.
I would respond to the comments about the area or things that are blatantly untrue - also if you are criticized for say not having a jacuzzie tub you can say for the price we provide excellent value etc

What a complete b****
I think you've been incredibly nice in your response under the circumstances, good luck with getting it removed..
do you mean the one with long term immigrants camping in the woods? not fricking likely in the highlands of Scotland in the winter!

What a complete b****
I think you've been incredibly nice in your response under the circumstances, good luck with getting it removed..
do you mean the one with long term immigrants camping in the woods? not fricking likely in the highlands of Scotland in the winter!
Yes, that's the one. You do get students camping in the woods, but that's part of an estate with a very exclusive castle venue, there's no way they allow the sort of camping inferred in the review.

What a complete b****
I must confess I am a bit miffed about that review which is why I've not responded so far. I've written a response, would you give it a once over before I post it, please?

What a complete b****
I laid into them a bit, to far ?
Sometimes I think it's very easy to obsess too much on a couple of negative points in a review and miss the overall tone of the review which is good. Did I ?

What a complete b****
Sometimes I think it's very easy to obsess too much on a couple of negative points in a review and miss the overall tone of the review which is good. Did I ?
nope you did fine - made them sound a bit weird without actually saying it which is the key

What a complete b****
nope you did fine - made them sound a bit weird without actually saying it which is the key
Thank you.

What a complete b****
Thank you.
You sounded very even keel. Nice response HJ.

What a complete b****
Thank you.
thumbs_up.gif

That one that just appeared in the past half hour, no 449, I couldn't have written it better myself. They were a lovely couple.

What a complete b****
Thank you.
thumbs_up.gif

That one that just appeared in the past half hour, no 449, I couldn't have written it better myself. They were a lovely couple.
Highlands John said:
thumbs_up.gif

It was poetic, I hope you share it on your website/blog/FB page...really lovely!

What a complete b****
Thank you.
thumbs_up.gif

Highlands John said:
thumbs_up.gif

It was poetic, I hope you share it on your website/blog/FB page...really lovely!
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
thumbs_up.gif

Is there some sort of official "share" from TA to FB?

So here's their answer:
Thank you for writing to TripAdvisor.
We have completed a review inquiry into your complaint, and the details of our standard review inquiry procedures cannot be disclosed. The review in question will remain, and the decision about whether a review will remain posted is exclusively that of TripAdvisor and is final.
We cannot offer any further comment on this decision.
Regards,
Dan
TripAdvisor Support Team
On the positive side a guest said he read that review and it made him read every other one and said that was B.S. and had a nice stay with us. I guess I'll "grin and bear it!)
Thanks for all your support -
Stu

What a complete b****
Thank you.
thumbs_up.gif

Highlands John said:
thumbs_up.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
thumbs_up.gif

Highlands John said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
thumbs_up.gif

Just cut n paste the link to THAT review and paste it in. They used to have a button to share a while ago, it is not there now.

So here's their answer:
We have completed a review inquiry into your complaint, and the details of our standard review inquiry procedures cannot be disclosed. The review in question will remain, and the decision about whether a review will remain posted is exclusively that of TripAdvisor and is final.
Regards,
Dan
TripAdvisor Support Team
On the positive side a guest said he read that review and it made him read every other one and said that was B.S. and had a nice stay with us. I guess I'll "grin and bear it!)
Stu.
Urgggh...so sorry...in time it will get buried by your wonderful reviews, but I know how something like this can rent space in your head.
angry_smile.gif

Ya know...some people love to read the bad reviews for humor, so you might get some new folks who find you just by browsing the * reviews on TA. Your response should give them a good idea that it is a bogus review.

Agreed it is never as bad to other people, only to you. So please don't let it get you down! Some people don't trust places without one odd ball negative review...they say that publicly.

So here's their answer:
Regards,
Dan
TripAdvisor Support Team
Stu.
That's a PITA, sorry to hear that. Encourage more people to write reviews and this one will soon be buried.

So here's their answer:
Regards,
Dan
TripAdvisor Support Team
Stu.
That's a PITA, sorry to hear that. Encourage more people to write reviews and this one will soon be buried.
Highlands John said:
I may be the only one, but I don't look at reviews in date order. I see the first few that are showing, then I click on the graph to see the worst reviews, if there are more bad than good especially so...when I read them though it is an immediate inclination of a pita writing it "My boyfriend and me went away this place and it was..." and so on.

Back