TripAdvisor review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's their answer:
Thank you for writing to TripAdvisor.
We have completed a review inquiry into your complaint, and the details of our standard review inquiry procedures cannot be disclosed. The review in question will remain, and the decision about whether a review will remain posted is exclusively that of TripAdvisor and is final.
We cannot offer any further comment on this decision.
Regards,
Dan
TripAdvisor Support Team
On the positive side a guest said he read that review and it made him read every other one and said that was B.S. and had a nice stay with us. I guess I'll "grin and bear it!)
Thanks for all your support -
Stu.
Reply to the review. Point out that the guest had not stayed and was dismayed at having to pay for cancellation. It will make others realize what was going on, and those who do play games will understand that your policy is your policy.

THIS is exactly why I refuse to have anything to with TA. Way too many reports of their lack of innkeeper support.

THIS is exactly why I refuse to have anything to with TA. Way too many reports of their lack of innkeeper support..
Proud Texan said:
THIS is exactly why I refuse to have anything to with TA. Way too many reports of their lack of innkeeper support.
You don't have to have anything to do with them for someone to post a review - any reviewer is able to add you. Refusing to work with them doesn't make reviews go away. Often, neither does anything else, though.
Your only real ability is to submit a management response and go from there.

THIS is exactly why I refuse to have anything to with TA. Way too many reports of their lack of innkeeper support..
Proud Texan said:
You don't have to have anything to do with them for someone to post a review - any reviewer is able to add you. Refusing to work with them doesn't make reviews go away. Often, neither does anything else, though.
muirford said:
The best form of defense is attack. You need to always be encouraging the people that love place to write reviews, that way if you get a bad/ malicious review it's in the minority and shows it for what it is.
That's why my booking system asks me at check-out if I want to send the guest a review request, which it then does automatically a week and a bit later.

Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
The best form of defense is attack. You need to always be encouraging the people that love place to write reviews, that way if you get a bad/ malicious review it's in the minority and shows it for what it is.
That's why my booking system asks me at check-out if I want to send the guest a review request, which it then does automatically a week and a bit later.
Highlands John said:
muirford said:
Yes, but then it states below the review that it was solicited by the innkeeper. At least that is what happened to me after I signed up for that. Immediately I stopped doing that. No way do I want to see that with every review. I'd rather not get any :(

Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Highlands John said:
muirford said:
Yes, but then it states below the review that it was solicited by the innkeeper. At least that is what happened to me after I signed up for that. Immediately I stopped doing that. No way do I want to see that with every review. I'd rather not get any :(
I don't use the ta system for sending emails, I use my own property management system.
If you don't have this facility what I used to do was on the check-out day I would write an email to the person asking for a review, personalized a bit so it doesn't look like a copy sent to everyone ("Hope you enjoyed your day at..." or "Hope you had a safe journey home", that sort of thing) then I put the date I want to send it on the end of the subject line and save it to my draft folder. Every couple of days or so I go to my draft folder, find any with expired dates on the subject line, edit to remove the date and send.

Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Highlands John said:
muirford said:
RezKey sends my request for review.- not TA

Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Highlands John said:
muirford said:
gillumhouse said:
Yes, I have had an automatic email set up through Rezkey as well, but after a short while I stopped that. I feel funny asking for reviews. I feel that I put my peeps on the spot, so I stopped asking all together.

Like Kathleen, I ask for a TA review in my 3-days-after "Thanks for your stay" ResKey e-mail, and don't feel a bit funny about it!
The request is not in the body of the e-mail, but below my signature at the end, and it just says "Review us on TripAdvisor:" and gives the link to my TA page, followed by links to my FB page, Twitter page, G+ page, etc.
The fact that most ignore the request makes me feel assured that they don't feel put on the spot. They know that part is part of a "form letter", not a personal request. The links is just there as a reminder, if they want to use it.

Yes I agree with you . My big beef is they use our name for their benefit. I have not claimed my B&B either. By law they have not got my permission to use my B&B for there profit. They have no respect for any one but themselves. It is their way and only their way.

Yes I agree with you . My big beef is they use our name for their benefit. I have not claimed my B&B either. By law they have not got my permission to use my B&B for there profit. They have no respect for any one but themselves. It is their way and only their way.
my concern with this is - if you do not claim your listing (which is free) then should a libellous review pop up you will not be notified - we are notified for every review and can reply - I don't want to be involved with tripadviser but once you are listed by a guest I feel you have to cover yourself

ta is not perfect I know, but it's there and we don't just have to live with it, we can use it to it's best advantage.
I can't help feeling that those who say they don't like to email guests and ask for a review are over-estimating their relationship with past guests, and I think the number of complaints here and in ta, of guests leaving all chatty and smiles, then writing critical reviews shows this. For most they may be all charming to your face but once they're out the door you're just a proprietor of a B&B they once stayed in, that's not a criticism of guests, just the way it is. Maybe I'm just cynical, or maybe that's an aspect of our location, most of our guests are touring from a long way away and therefore unlikely to come back to the area.
Like others have said many don't bother to write a review, even though I ask, and I think a part of that is the hastle of setting up an account/password but mostly because once they've driven down the road your are...not forgotten but something they once did. However those that do write a review help convince others to book, that's the point for us.

ta is not perfect I know, but it's there and we don't just have to live with it, we can use it to it's best advantage.
I can't help feeling that those who say they don't like to email guests and ask for a review are over-estimating their relationship with past guests, and I think the number of complaints here and in ta, of guests leaving all chatty and smiles, then writing critical reviews shows this. For most they may be all charming to your face but once they're out the door you're just a proprietor of a B&B they once stayed in, that's not a criticism of guests, just the way it is. Maybe I'm just cynical, or maybe that's an aspect of our location, most of our guests are touring from a long way away and therefore unlikely to come back to the area.
Like others have said many don't bother to write a review, even though I ask, and I think a part of that is the hastle of setting up an account/password but mostly because once they've driven down the road your are...not forgotten but something they once did. However those that do write a review help convince others to book, that's the point for us.
As a traveler, I can say I am most likely to NOT repeat - no matter how much I liked a facility and the staff (I say this because I have mostly been up to now, a "hit & split" traveler. For me, with 2 exceptions, there is so much to be seen and done that I want to experience all I can during my one chance (life is a one chance no matter how many years it goes on).
The one thing I have been to and REALLY want to do again - in the summer next time - is the D-Day Memorial in Virginia. It is awesome but a windy day in January was not the time to do it. (The other 2 are Williamsburg and the windjammer cruise on the Lewis R French out of Camden.)

As a traveler, I can say I am most likely to NOT repeat - no matter how much I liked a facility and the staff (I say this because I have mostly been up to now, a "hit & split" traveler. For me, with 2 exceptions, there is so much to be seen and done that I want to experience all I can during my one chance (life is a one chance no matter how many years it goes on).
The one thing I have been to and REALLY want to do again - in the summer next time - is the D-Day Memorial in Virginia. It is awesome but a windy day in January was not the time to do it. (The other 2 are Williamsburg and the windjammer cruise on the Lewis R French out of Camden.)
gillumhouse said:
I think that very much sums up the majority of travelers we get here and I guess that's a "symptom" of being in a destintion. Lots say they want to come back, very few do.

gillumhouse said:
I think that very much sums up the majority of travelers we get here and I guess that's a "symptom" of being in a destintion. Lots say they want to come back, very few do.
Highlands John said:
gillumhouse said:
We used to run 40% repeat. Not any longer. I bet we're down to 20%. Because guests hate us? No, not at all. We have some guests who are here 2-4x/year. But, more people are wanting to see more things and not repeat the same places.
That guests say they want to come back is an indication, I think, that they enjoyed the stay and, if there weren't so many other things to do, they'd be here again.
Ex - we have guests who make one BIG trip each year - Vietnam, India, Zimbabwe, etc. They would go to those places once. But they come here a couple of times just for a quick 'get out of the house' for a couple of days.
So, for some people, we are their 'big' trip, their 'once in a lifetime' and they won't be back. They'll tell a lot of people, but they won't be back. (Hard to imagine where we 'live' is a 'once in a lifetime' vacation, but there you go.)

gillumhouse said:
Highlands John said:
gillumhouse said:
We used to run 40% repeat. Not any longer. I bet we're down to 20%. Because guests hate us? No, not at all. We have some guests who are here 2-4x/year. But, more people are wanting to see more things and not repeat the same places.
That guests say they want to come back is an indication, I think, that they enjoyed the stay and, if there weren't so many other things to do, they'd be here again.
Ex - we have guests who make one BIG trip each year - Vietnam, India, Zimbabwe, etc. They would go to those places once. But they come here a couple of times just for a quick 'get out of the house' for a couple of days.
So, for some people, we are their 'big' trip, their 'once in a lifetime' and they won't be back. They'll tell a lot of people, but they won't be back. (Hard to imagine where we 'live' is a 'once in a lifetime' vacation, but there you go.)
Due to the one trip I repeated (and would again if I had the cash and did not have DH as he can no longer do it) I have been in your city several times - it IS a stop. If ever I am again, I know where I will stay. The one time I did stay in your town, I misjudged how far it was and you would NOT have wanted us - I think we arrived at 10 or 11 PM - but I called at 6 to give an update of where we were. I honestly do not remember if we even saw an innkeeper. I know I do not remember the breakfast - it was in 1988.

gillumhouse said:
Highlands John said:
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
(Hard to imagine where we 'live' is a 'once in a lifetime' vacation, but there you go.)
We had a once in a lifetime vacation there.
thumbs_up.gif

gillumhouse said:
Highlands John said:
gillumhouse said:
Madeleine said:
(Hard to imagine where we 'live' is a 'once in a lifetime' vacation, but there you go.)
thumbs_up.gif

Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
thumbs_up.gif
Ta! Someday we'll visit you. We have guests we really like who live in Edinburgh so we keep saying we're going to visit them and see the rest of the country at the same time!

Yes i agree with you , this is exactly why I refuse to have anything to with TA. Way too many reports of their lack of innkeeper support.

And that is why Trip Advisor is hated by most lodging. Sometimes all lodging gets bad reviews. Just keep in mind that you can respond to her post. It's the only thing you can do.

Back