TripAdvisor review

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deercrossing

Reaction score
Any comments on TripAdvisor. I had a client cancel same day and she lost her deposit. She was angry and wrote a bogus report that was horrible. She never saw our place. TripAdvisor is not pulling the review. Any ideas?

bogus report or bad report? If it is bogus you should be able to get it removed if they wrote false info, vs they didn't like you and said so.

Don't post a management response until you've given up battling to get it removed, once you've done that they treat it as though you've accepted that the review is valid.

Haven't seen the review, so I'm going blind. Did they suggest that they had stayed in any way, like rating the sleep? Because that is a violation of the ToS and reason to have a review removed immediately.

PS this is one instance where you may wish to share the review so you can get genuine feedback, hard to comment without seeing it. Email someone you trust on the forum as ask them that way if you don't wish to reveal it here.

We spent 1 night at this place and I can honestly say ... it was not what we had expected. The rooms were old & tacky not to mention the air stunk, the rooms stunk, the water stunk - and everything was dirty & stinky. We paid $70 for a room and we didn't even want to get under the comforter or sheets! We took our sleeping bags out of our backpacks and put them on top of the bed since everything looked so un-kept. Had we not been out in the middle of nowhere - we would have moved to another hotel that night.
So: We do not have $70.00 rooms. This review was so wrong and they did not even step foot on the property. Our cancellation policy is very good but less than 24 hours means the night's deposit is lost. She is angry. Look up the rest of my reviews: We are Deer Crossing Bed & Breakfast in Hamilton, Montana (Big Sky Country)
Thanks for you input, folks.

bogus report or bad report? If it is bogus you should be able to get it removed if they wrote false info, vs they didn't like you and said so..
I posted her review above. Hate to spend $$$ on TripAdvisor when they do not respond.
Thx..
Stu & Linda

bogus report or bad report? If it is bogus you should be able to get it removed if they wrote false info, vs they didn't like you and said so..
I posted her review above. Hate to spend $$$ on TripAdvisor when they do not respond.
Thx..
Stu & Linda
deercrossing said:
Thx..
Stu & Linda
Oh yeah YOU HAVE A LEG to stand on with this one!! We will help you...this can be taken off, they are blatantly lying!
And it is WONDERFUL that she has her photos right on the review so you know who the "anon" reviewer is! What a dork.

Thx..
Stu & Linda
There is a phone number listed on here for direct support with TA. Call them. You do not have to pay TA for support. Tell them the guest never set foot on the property and this was in retaliation for not refunding their deposit.
TA also has an 'advanced warning' feature where you can let them know in advance that a bad review may be coming. (Lots of guests threaten bad reviews, this is the time to let TA know the bad review may be coming and your side of the story.)
Phone number - 1-866-322-5942

I have called them, e-mailed them and have been waiting, waiting, waiting. They won't put me through to their "research" department and say they are aware of my problem and they will get back to me - been about 3 weeks now. Thanks for all the input. It's heartening to have the support.
Stu

Another route for speedy help is TWITTER.
If you tweet to them publicly they are more apt to answer.
If you don't have the ph# Maddie shared, then try it. We have some insider innfo here from past BAD TA stuff as a whole.

I have called them, e-mailed them and have been waiting, waiting, waiting. They won't put me through to their "research" department and say they are aware of my problem and they will get back to me - been about 3 weeks now. Thanks for all the input. It's heartening to have the support.
Stu.
deercrossing said:
Stu
I see that you have paid for a business listing with them. Don't you have a rep to contact? Maybe they could offer help getting this issue resolved. Worth a try and I wish you luck. I found it interesting that the reviewer made 3 reviews that same day - rating them 1,3,5 just to make it appear they are fair and balanced!
At least you made an attempt to call out their lies in your MG response. All your other reviews are very nice and you already have a start on good reviews to move that review down the chain. Try not to dwell on this as it only makes you bitter and has an affect on your attitude with current guests. (this said by experience) Close the book on this bottom dweller and focus on the wonderful people at your door now.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's like getting hit in the gut.
I recently was successful with getting TA to pull a review because they rated 'sleep' when they didn't stay. With mine, they said in their review they didn't stay, so I was lucky. Unfortunately, yours lied that they had stayed and it will prove more difficult to prove. Do you have any correspondance stating that she cancelled?
Get all proof you can together. Start with disputing the review, then a blackmail through your TA account or rep, and I see you've already done an owner's response.
Hang in there, even if it doesn't get pulled, you have a lot of other really terrific reviews and people can see through this one.
By the way, I'm proud of you for sticking to your rules! Don't let these jerks blackmail you.

What a complete b****
I think you've been incredibly nice in your response under the circumstances, good luck with getting it removed.

Stu.
I once waited for over 3 weeks for them to remove a review that was a violation of THEIR OWN terms of service. Only to tell the person how to lie and not violate the terms of service and repost the lies, when TA KNEW that it was lies because they had seen the guests bias from the first review that violated their terms of service. It's still there, but buried so damn deep that hardly anyone ever reads it anymore.

We spent 1 night at this place and I can honestly say ... it was not what we had expected. The rooms were old & tacky not to mention the air stunk, the rooms stunk, the water stunk - and everything was dirty & stinky. We paid $70 for a room and we didn't even want to get under the comforter or sheets! We took our sleeping bags out of our backpacks and put them on top of the bed since everything looked so un-kept. Had we not been out in the middle of nowhere - we would have moved to another hotel that night.
So: We do not have $70.00 rooms. This review was so wrong and they did not even step foot on the property. Our cancellation policy is very good but less than 24 hours means the night's deposit is lost. She is angry. Look up the rest of my reviews: We are Deer Crossing Bed & Breakfast in Hamilton, Montana (Big Sky Country)
Thanks for you input, folks..
So sorry you are going through this. I've said it before, but you weren't here -- welcome, btw -- so I'll repeat it for you: I think the most important reviews are the bad ones, because they give me a clear insight into how much the innkeeper cares . . . about everything. More important than the review is the innkeeper's response. Is it polite or demeaning? Does it address the issue, or attempt to sidestep it? I think your response is good, and states the most important facts: this reviewer is upset over losing her deposit, and never actually stayed with you. Her intent is clear. What's good is that you stated she lost her deposit. She didn't follow the rules, and suffered the consequences. (Ahem, potential guests!)
What I do think you should add, though, is something that addresses the room charge. She says she paid $70. You don't have such a room, but you didn't mention that in your response. If you do, the whole assertion that the review is a lie is supported. If you just let it slide, potential guests will want the $70 room, too. Something to think about.

So sorry you are going through this. I've said it before, but you weren't here -- welcome, btw -- so I'll repeat it for you: I think the most important reviews are the bad ones, because they give me a clear insight into how much the innkeeper cares . . . about everything. More important than the review is the innkeeper's response. Is it polite or demeaning? Does it address the issue, or attempt to sidestep it? I think your response is good, and states the most important facts: this reviewer is upset over losing her deposit, and never actually stayed with you. Her intent is clear. What's good is that you stated she lost her deposit. She didn't follow the rules, and suffered the consequences. (Ahem, potential guests!)
What I do think you should add, though, is something that addresses the room charge. She says she paid $70. You don't have such a room, but you didn't mention that in your response. If you do, the whole assertion that the review is a lie is supported. If you just let it slide, potential guests will want the $70 room, too. Something to think about.
I will try to amend my response - the $70.00 note makes a lot of sense. I've learned so much in just 1/2 a day from you folks..

I will try to amend my response - the $70.00 note makes a lot of sense. I've learned so much in just 1/2 a day from you folks..
Many of us have had to suffer unjust reviews for one reason or another, it seems like the end of the world, it's not. Most important thing is to keep asking happy guests to post reviews. The bad one then becomes buried and less and less credible.
I had one last week, gave us 4/5 but complained of noise and compared us to a mansion or castle charging more than double our rate. Also made stupid comments about the area that are just not true. They are already down to no.3 and I'm trying to decide whether or not to respond.

HJ it reminds me of the story I was telling a guest who asked for our cat to be out in the guest areas. I told her about the multiple incidents where someone freaked out over a cat:
#1) She was on the porch and a neighborhood cat walked by. She ran inside and told me "You said there were not cats here!" and checked out.
Of course I have no control over neighborhood cats! sheesh - and good riddance
#2) A couple here recently married. A cat in the house is taboo in their culture. She saw one in our quarters and screamed her lungs out and ran upstairs, her husband trailing behind her.
Those are two of the cat stories. These people did NOT write a review, but can you imagine THEIR PERSPECTIVE if they had? I am sure they would have called us liars, there are cats at the inn, cats on the property, cats everywhere!
This guest shook her head and said "I can't believe it!" I said, "Believe it, I have more if you want to listen..." :)

HJ it reminds me of the story I was telling a guest who asked for our cat to be out in the guest areas. I told her about the multiple incidents where someone freaked out over a cat:
#1) She was on the porch and a neighborhood cat walked by. She ran inside and told me "You said there were not cats here!" and checked out.
Of course I have no control over neighborhood cats! sheesh - and good riddance
#2) A couple here recently married. A cat in the house is taboo in their culture. She saw one in our quarters and screamed her lungs out and ran upstairs, her husband trailing behind her.
Those are two of the cat stories. These people did NOT write a review, but can you imagine THEIR PERSPECTIVE if they had? I am sure they would have called us liars, there are cats at the inn, cats on the property, cats everywhere!
This guest shook her head and said "I can't believe it!" I said, "Believe it, I have more if you want to listen..." :).
Sheesh!
Reviews are so subjective, the couple who left the review I referred to stayed in a mansion house charging 3x our rate and an expensive apartment in Edinburgh during their visit, we can't compete with that. We were doomed to get criticised for something before they'd even knocked on the door.

Back