TripAdvisor

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Well I was just checking out some info on Tripadvisor and I see that they have now made B & B's even more invisible. Used the have tabs where you would click on hotels, b & B's and Other Now there is a small line that you click in the circle:
Hotels (8) B&Bs / Inns (15) Specialty Lodging
Ok Jay, I hope you bring this up with them at your meeting...or if you have already met...this is NOT what we wanted:-(

Tabs were so much more visible. But TA is a hotel-focused site, not 'other lodging' so I guess they're going with what the majority want. Most of my guests who have used TA started somewhere else and then looked for reviews.

Tabs were so much more visible. But TA is a hotel-focused site, not 'other lodging' so I guess they're going with what the majority want. Most of my guests who have used TA started somewhere else and then looked for reviews..
Yes that is what I meant. I know they are hotel focused but I thought that JAY from PAII was meeting with them to try and level the playing field a bit?????

Does Trip Advisor not allows links back to the B&B's site, or am I missing them somewhere in all the clutter?

TripAdvisor has not allowed links back to a B&B's web site. Any links to B&Bs are only to those who provide availability on Expedia.com or Hotels.com, and the link would be to their listing on one of those sites - not the B&B's web site. That is one of the issues I brought to them. Providing hyperlinks to B&B sites is something they have considered in the past, but they haven't addressed the issue in a long time. They are now considering it, which would be a big coup for our industry. Then you would really be able to tell how many people are going directly from your TripAdvisor page to your web site. They allow hyperlinks for restaurants on TripAdvisor. I said they're doing a disservice to their audience who find dead-ends when looking at B&B pages on TripAdvisor. Stephen Kaufer, their CEO, agreed with that.
I didn't realize they were going to change the interface when searching for lodging. I preferred the tabs over what I see now. I will add this matter to the list.
I will be updating the PAII membership and others on all else that came out of that meeting soon.
Jay Karen
PAII

TripAdvisor has not allowed links back to a B&B's web site. Any links to B&Bs are only to those who provide availability on Expedia.com or Hotels.com, and the link would be to their listing on one of those sites - not the B&B's web site. That is one of the issues I brought to them. Providing hyperlinks to B&B sites is something they have considered in the past, but they haven't addressed the issue in a long time. They are now considering it, which would be a big coup for our industry. Then you would really be able to tell how many people are going directly from your TripAdvisor page to your web site. They allow hyperlinks for restaurants on TripAdvisor. I said they're doing a disservice to their audience who find dead-ends when looking at B&B pages on TripAdvisor. Stephen Kaufer, their CEO, agreed with that.
I didn't realize they were going to change the interface when searching for lodging. I preferred the tabs over what I see now. I will add this matter to the list.
I will be updating the PAII membership and others on all else that came out of that meeting soon.
Jay Karen
PAII.
Thanks for your quick response.

Jay, we all thank you for your efforts in handling this for our industry and for your quick reply here.

Jay Karen
PAII.
I'm not an innkeeper (as you all know) but I do want to comment on the reply made by Jay versus "the other guy" from b&b.com.
Thanks, Jay, for replying in such a concise, non-demeaning manner to the concerns. Your comments were competent and NOT defensive sounding. Being someone who will one day be in this field, it is nice to know who is on the side of the innkeepers and who only seems to be on the side of the innkeepers.

Jay Karen
PAII.
Thanks, Jay for your work for our industry!
Hotels.com & Expedia have actually both dropped our city. How about that? There is legal action in the works.

I will check...please edit your post to remove my location :)
Maybe it's been resolved...our C&VB was involved in this.
No, those properties are not in our city...several are in another State across the river & one is 45 minutes North of us.

Jay Karen
PAII.
Thanks, Jay for your work for our industry!
Hotels.com & Expedia have actually both dropped our city. How about that? There is legal action in the works.
I just typed in your city,....in both of them and got listings???????

I will check...please edit your post to remove my location :)
Maybe it's been resolved...our C&VB was involved in this.
No, those properties are not in our city...several are in another State across the river & one is 45 minutes North of us..
Sorry, that's what came up...I just didn't read any further
embaressed_smile.gif

I wondered about that. We had guests that said over a week ago they sent a review and I'm still not seeing it. I could not find the tab and could not figure out what was going on..must be the hotels need more attention since they are not filling.
Riki

Back