TRIPS WITH A TWIST: Finding a Bed and Breakfast doesn't have to be ... - INN the news 03.21.09

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that. It is the first place I have seen that speaks about NOT using common areas. Here we are trying to sell them - you know more space for guests use.
embaressed_smile.gif

I saw that. It is the first place I have seen that speaks about NOT using common areas. Here we are trying to sell them - you know more space for guests use.
embaressed_smile.gif
I think that's more for the traveler who would say, 'Nope, no B&B for me, I'm not watching (pick whatever kind of show you don't like) on TV with some guy in a t-shirt drinking a beer. (Unless that's the sort of way you want to watch TV!)
That's what I think about when I GET there (never before!!) and I see there is no space for 'just guests' to hang out. So, I'm either stuck in my room or stuck chatting with the guy in the t-shirt.
Before you think this is weird, it's happened...male innkeeper in old guy t-shirt drinking beer watching TV in the common space. I think he thought he was being friendly hanging out with the guests (he had his own TV) but I was uncomfortable, just wanting to put my feet up and read.
This is why I get so wound up when guests fall asleep on the couch with the TV on and I have walk-ins. Yikes! They think that's MY husband, that there's no place to sit unless they want to watch him sleep and drink, that the place down the street is looking VERY promising right about now.

embaressed_smile.gif
I think that's more for the traveler who would say, 'Nope, no B&B for me, I'm not watching (pick whatever kind of show you don't like) on TV with some guy in a t-shirt drinking a beer. (Unless that's the sort of way you want to watch TV!)
That's what I think about when I GET there (never before!!) and I see there is no space for 'just guests' to hang out. So, I'm either stuck in my room or stuck chatting with the guy in the t-shirt.
Before you think this is weird, it's happened...male innkeeper in old guy t-shirt drinking beer watching TV in the common space. I think he thought he was being friendly hanging out with the guests (he had his own TV) but I was uncomfortable, just wanting to put my feet up and read.
This is why I get so wound up when guests fall asleep on the couch with the TV on and I have walk-ins. Yikes! They think that's MY husband, that there's no place to sit unless they want to watch him sleep and drink, that the place down the street is looking VERY promising right about now.
Bree said:
Guests have told me about a place in Hot Springs Arkansas where the proprieter wears overalls with nothing under it (no shirt) and sits around drinking beer. They found it to be very odd.

We also had the guest who would get loaded then lay down on the warm afternoon porch decking for a couple hours nap. I asked her to at least move to the right side of the porch so guests checking in wouldn't have to climb over her. SHEESH! She and her elderly mother were hera for over a week. I always said first off "a guest relaxing on the porch" in other words, she ain't my sister!

embaressed_smile.gif
Bree said:
Guests have told me about a place in Hot Springs Arkansas where the proprieter wears overalls with nothing under it (no shirt) and sits around drinking beer. They found it to be very odd.
[[/quote]
[/quote]
smileystooges.gif
Actually more like:
wow.gif

I think I might be serving "gourmet" breakfasts!
chef.gif

"Gourmet: an excellent selection of uncommon breakfast entrees using fresh ingredients including seasonal fruits and vegetables."
Hey! Fried green tomatoes are a vegetable :)

embaressed_smile.gif
I think that they phrased it really well. Most of our guests do think that we hang around in the guest area. I always, always tell them that area is just for them. BUT, they really might not want to be around with other guests. I never thought of that!
Especially ones known to have a nip too much and laze around on the porch.... haha!

embaressed_smile.gif
I think that they phrased it really well. Most of our guests do think that we hang around in the guest area. I always, always tell them that area is just for them. BUT, they really might not want to be around with other guests. I never thought of that!
Especially ones known to have a nip too much and laze around on the porch.... haha!
Samster said:
This brings up the TV in common rooms discussion again. I know people are firm on this. But just like visiting a relative on say Thanksgiving, when the TV is not turned off, it bugs the HECK out of me. This is how I am about the TV in common areas. Why do it? Not all TV is for all audiences.
What if I am there and am an avid FOX NEWS channel guest and have it on constantly? What if I watch sleazy programs and there are kids staying there? Let's say Housewives of wherever (I can't recall the name), what if I like the Big Hair Network (TBN)? What if I like hockey or NASCAR?
Maybe you can disable the sound and make it subtitle only?
I was in Australia on a visit, I broke a tooth. I was in the waiting area of said dentist sitting in the only open seat just below a blaring tv with Jerry Springer - you know nice mid-day television - bleep bleep bleep it went. It was awful. It was on so people watched it. I was so humiliated. I told them "Look in America that is pure rubbish! We don't even watch it!"
Maybe this is the fear of "common areas" at B&B's? Some B&B's don't want guests to eat or drink in their room, is the common area where they push a few back while watching a game? It is just one more thing to worry about, in my estimation.
cry_smile.gif

embaressed_smile.gif
Samster said:
This brings up the TV in common rooms discussion again. I know people are firm on this. But just like visiting a relative on say Thanksgiving, when the TV is not turned off, it bugs the HECK out of me. This is how I am about the TV in common areas. Why do it? Not all TV is for all audiences.
What if I am there and am an avid FOX NEWS channel guest and have it on constantly? What if I watch sleazy programs and there are kids staying there? Let's say Housewives of wherever (I can't recall the name), what if I like the Big Hair Network (TBN)? What if I like hockey or NASCAR?
I was in Australia on a visit, I broke a tooth. I was in the waiting area of said dentist sitting in the only open seat just below a blaring tv with Jerry Springer - you know nice mid-day television - bleep bleep bleep it went. It was awful. It was on so people watched it. I was so humiliated. I told them "Look in America that is pure rubbish! We don't even watch it!"
Maybe this is the fear of "common areas" at B&B's? Some B&B's don't want guests to eat or drink in their room, is the common area where they push a few back while watching a game? It is just one more thing to worry about, in my estimation.
cry_smile.gif

I never had a TV in the living room of any house we lived in before this one. The living room was for conversation, relaxin, and reading. I am absolutely opposed to having a TV there and we don't have one here in our living room or parlor, whatever you want to call it. Guests will read or visit in there. I find that room is used more by families or people on their own. Couples will hang out in their rooms - where the TVs are :) And then our porch is a favorite hangout for everyone.
I hate those TVs in health care provider waiting rooms with that junk on. Give me some good magazines! :)

embaressed_smile.gif
Samster said:
cry_smile.gif

I never had a TV in the living room of any house we lived in before this one. The living room was for conversation, relaxin, and reading. I am absolutely opposed to having a TV there and we don't have one here in our living room or parlor, whatever you want to call it. Guests will read or visit in there. I find that room is used more by families or people on their own. Couples will hang out in their rooms - where the TVs are :) And then our porch is a favorite hangout for everyone.
I hate those TVs in health care provider waiting rooms with that junk on. Give me some good magazines! :)
Or at the garage getting work done on your car or Sears getting tires rotated......... and they have Jerry Springer or Dr Phil or CNN on the set. There will be a room full of people and I swear most of them hate what is on but no one changes the channel because "someone" may be watching that.

embaressed_smile.gif
Samster said:
cry_smile.gif

Or at the garage getting work done on your car or Sears getting tires rotated......... and they have Jerry Springer or Dr Phil or CNN on the set. There will be a room full of people and I swear most of them hate what is on but no one changes the channel because "someone" may be watching that.
I'd rather watch the news on CNN than that other stuff.

embaressed_smile.gif
Samster said:
cry_smile.gif

In addition to waiting rooms, it seems as though every eatery HAS to have TV's now. It really bugs me because they attract the eye even if you are not interested in watching. It is horrible to get to these places to socialize and have a good dinner and everyone keeps being drawn to see what is on the TV. We were in Applebees a couple of weeks ago and were seated in the bar area where they have intalled MORE TV's and have little boxes on the tables to select the sound for which TV screen you are interested in watching - of course all sports channels which we were not interested in at all so no sound was at least a choice.

embaressed_smile.gif
Samster said:
cry_smile.gif

Samster said:
I remember sitting in an airport last year watching on TV as tornadoes went thru my DESTINATION airport and calling frantically as I was boarding the plane asking if it was safe to board the plane! Well, yes it was and I got there just fine only to have an incredible hailstorm go thru while I waited for the other innmate's plane to arrive!
Take away the TV!

embaressed_smile.gif
Samster said:
cry_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
I turn TV's off. I turn them off at the doctor, at the mechanic, anywhere, anytime. Off it goes. If someone wants it on, they can turn it back on themselves.
TV's in every guest room, but none in the common areas for just this reason.
=)
Kk.

Back