Trivia from your inn/experience

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Is there something you have noticed that is not a big deal, very trivial, but nonetheless worth sharing.
Example: I realized today that the least priced room, which is the only room with the detached bath (therefore the less price), is probably seldom used for a romantic getaway. In over 7 years I have never had a romance package/flowers etc ordered by guests in that room.
On the flip side I notice that the more expensive rooms are the ones that order the romance packages, vs the mid priced rooms.

The people who book our lowest priced room (when others are available) invariably arrive in a Mercedes. It seriously happens over and over.
The people who book the room that can accommodate the most people are always the last to check-in, typically racing in at 5:59 pm. .

The people who book our lowest priced room (when others are available) invariably arrive in a Mercedes. It seriously happens over and over.
The people who book the room that can accommodate the most people are always the last to check-in, typically racing in at 5:59 pm. ..
The couple who were here Saturday made me do a mental chuckle. He booked the cheaper room without telling his wife it was a shared bath. Then he tells me Saaturday evening about all the places they have traveled to and the companies he had owned/been cfo,etc (I had asked what he did in his former life since he was now retired). Because of the family in-house due to a fire (they are here for a second week - now I can pay my 2nd half of my B & B ins), I gave them the big room w/pvt bath. You guessed it - no tip, even after I found him a hat that would go over his Calif ears that were freezing. I had even washed & dried it before giving it to him. They were going to DC area for 4 days from here & his wife said they only stay at B & Bs..

The people who book the room that can accommodate the most people are always the last to check-in, typically racing in at 5:59 pm. ..
The couple who were here Saturday made me do a mental chuckle. He booked the cheaper room without telling his wife it was a shared bath. Then he tells me Saaturday evening about all the places they have traveled to and the companies he had owned/been cfo,etc (I had asked what he did in his former life since he was now retired). Because of the family in-house due to a fire (they are here for a second week - now I can pay my 2nd half of my B & B ins), I gave them the big room w/pvt bath. You guessed it - no tip, even after I found him a hat that would go over his Calif ears that were freezing. I had even washed & dried it before giving it to him. They were going to DC area for 4 days from here & his wife said they only stay at B & Bs..
Yes, in general the more you do for someone "just to be nice", the less they appreciate it.
Also, those staying completely free on a gift certificate will NEVER tip the housekeepers OR leave a note in the guest journal.

A certain faction of high-priced car owners are jerks. More so, %-wise, than more economical car owners. Not all high-priced car owners, they have to be from a certain background to qualify. It has nothing to do with where they are from and everything to do with their attitude toward their money.
On a walk-in I can almost guarantee an argument on price from the high-priced car owners.

Yes, in general the more you do for someone "just to be nice", the less they appreciate it.
Also, those staying completely free on a gift certificate will NEVER tip the housekeepers OR leave a note in the guest journal.
Don Draper said:
Had an interesting conversation with a friend yesterday about the guest who will not stop asking for more. What she does is give it to them. Along with a great deal of information on how much more work it is, how much more they are getting than anyone else, etc. In her experience, they shut up, sit down, eat what they're given and leave a huge tip!
I'm going to have to try that. It's all in letting them know how much effort it is and how much more they are getting. None of this 'grin and bear it' stuff.

The lowest price room was booked the least and it was a large room and probably one of the quietest! Or maybe because it had 2 Queen beds? Who knows?
Best tips/gifts came from the least expected places....

Yes, we never get tips from professors or medical doctors or lawyers and they seem to be the ones who want a discount and are more demanding with their special requests.
We get tips from those who can least afford it. Just last week we received a $1 tip from two korean university students. That meant more to us than receiving a $100 bill from a rocket scientist.

Don Draper said:
Had an interesting conversation with a friend yesterday about the guest who will not stop asking for more. What she does is give it to them. Along with a great deal of information on how much more work it is, how much more they are getting than anyone else, etc. In her experience, they shut up, sit down, eat what they're given and leave a huge tip!
I'm going to have to try that. It's all in letting them know how much effort it is and how much more they are getting. None of this 'grin and bear it' stuff.
Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Yes I'm all for this, but how to manage letting them know how much "extra" they're getting in front of the other guests? Tell your friend I need examples!

Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Yes I'm all for this, but how to manage letting them know how much "extra" they're getting in front of the other guests? Tell your friend I need examples!
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
How she does it IS right in front of everyone else- to the point the guests who are asking start to feel embarrassed. She is very polite but she hammers home how much more work it is going to be for her. She lets them know she DID ask when they called about food problems. She DID make all of the food already, it is all plated and ready to serve, but she CAN make something different BUT it will take her awhile because she didn't know in advance they couldn't eat what she has already made. And they WILL have to WAIT for the DIFFERENT food to be prepared.
And everyone else overhearing this knows that yes, she did ask in advance, THEY certainly told her and boy, aren't those other people rude for causing all that trouble.
And yes, she gets big tips!

Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
How she does it IS right in front of everyone else- to the point the guests who are asking start to feel embarrassed. She is very polite but she hammers home how much more work it is going to be for her. She lets them know she DID ask when they called about food problems. She DID make all of the food already, it is all plated and ready to serve, but she CAN make something different BUT it will take her awhile because she didn't know in advance they couldn't eat what she has already made. And they WILL have to WAIT for the DIFFERENT food to be prepared.
And everyone else overhearing this knows that yes, she did ask in advance, THEY certainly told her and boy, aren't those other people rude for causing all that trouble.
And yes, she gets big tips!
Hmmm...I must be delivering the lines wrong then because I have handled the special needs food people in the middle of breakfast this way. Usually they just seem put out. Now, the other guests DO get it, so I'm glad for their empathy, but forget getting a tip out of it!

I think people who have been in service professons who remember what it was like on those wages tip better as they know it is appreciated. I don't have a ton of money but I always leave a tip cos I remember what it was like doing that job.

Threads ..
1. Our cheapest room is one of our nicest (419 sf, ensuite, king bed, fireplace, East/South corner with morning light, river view) but bathroom has only one sink and no window, so ... It is very frequently rented. People are surprised at what a great deal it is. That's the point.
2. Tips here are very rare (maybe not even 5% of guests), but we have had $50's and once $100 - a big surprise and much appreciated. My stereotyping: Professionals may be a bit stingy, but the wives are definitely not always so.
3. I always tipped waitstaff, especially in inexpensive restaurants where even 20% of a low tab isn't much. My sympathy for housekeeping has changed my tipping habits in accomodation. Not long ago we ended up stuck in a run-down motel after battling heavy snow for 8 hours and could no longer clearly see where the road was under the snow, in the dark. This kind of place hadn't been great before the interstate cut it off and now it had no business and no maintenance: carpet worn, heat broken, sink cracked, grout gone. But it was clean. I thought how depressing it must be to have to turn that room; next morning I left all my loose bills for that poor soul.

Our room with the private balcony is the least booked room in the winter (it's also the smallest room in the house). But in the summer it's popular and we often have guests who will send us a request to DNM (Do not Move)
Guests will inevitably ask me for a French restaurant when what they really want is Local cuisine (cuisine du terroir).
Almost inevitable, vegans never seem to appreciate our efforts to accomodate their diets, but those who are lactose-intolerant, deathly allergic and gluten-intolerant are very appreciative. (I have had only one vegan ever thank me for the effort in seventeen years.)

Don Draper said:
I used to think that too until we had guests recently that came on a gift certificate. They were gushing as they left and even purchased a two-day stay gift certificate for her mother.

Don Draper said:
I used to think that too until we had guests recently that came on a gift certificate. They were gushing as they left and even purchased a two-day stay gift certificate for her mother.
Proud Texan said:
Don Draper said:
And miracle of all miracles I had one just last week! Lovely couple who stayed one night, bought $60 in merchandise, tipped the housekeepers AND said they'd be back! My faith in humanity is restored (at least for the next 5 minutes...)

Back