Trust Earned Travel - what is this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
A new email today:
We were given your contact information by a traveler interested in your services.
Trust Earned Travel (www.Tet.org) provides travelers with information about companies in the travel industry so they can learn whether the company can be trusted. For FREE, by simply pledging to do what all good business do - treat their customers honestly and fairly - you can earn and display the Trust Earned Travel seal at your web site.
Let's face it. Shoppers today are smarter, more cautious, and understand that without having prior personal experience, or having a friend or relative make a recommendation, credentials are the best way to insure that their travel purchase will be well spent. As a business manager you know that one of the greatest assets you can have is the trust of your customers. If your customers trust you they will buy from you, and the more trust you have, the more sales you will make. In other words:
TRUST = SALES
and being a TET Seal Holder means you can be trusted. You can learn more at http://www.tet.org
Sincerely,
Customer Service - Trust Earned Travel
www.Tet.org
[email protected]

Anybody else got this one? The website is copyrighted 2008 although they say they have been in business since 1997. Can't see any real point in replying at this point...

NOPE! I would delete it!!! Just someone else out trying to make a buck! Sure...I trust them...NOT
devil_smile.gif

Hey, we're on the same spam list...
Did you also get the one for 'altraverse'?

Did you also get the one for 'altraverse'?.
I got the one Jeanne got but as Marketing for the Assoc. Altraverse is the "straight" side of Purple Roofs.

No altraverse. I have had a rash of advertisements for help with my church website, though.

No altraverse. I have had a rash of advertisements for help with my church website, though.
This is the second time I received this email, last time about a year ago. Deleted it then too. I also get the Altraverse emails and lately I have gotten the church website ones. I have never been successful in being removed from their lists either.

I got that e-mail yesterday and deleted it. I do not respond to things that so not tell me who sent it.
Altaverse has been around for a while. That this group did not recognize who Altaverse is makes me question it even more

My goodness, has the world really turned this cynical.
I have no idea who "Marketing for the Assoc. Altraverse is the "straight" side of Purple Roofs." that Gillumhouse refers to in one of the above posts is but let me tell you about Trust Earned Travel (tet.org).
TET.org has been around since 1997 but only really active in the last couple of years as a result of funding by a "philanthropist" with no ties to the travel industry. Having written that, he loves to travel and this is a passion he has as to helping out other travelers and pointing out travel service providers that do not treat the traveling public correctly and "rewarding" those that do. TET.og has no revenue (as a result of it being a free service) but is operated through his main business activity.
The e-mail Muiford quotes that is at the top of this post is one that is sent out automatically when someone contacts us to see if a travel service provider is a TET Seal Holder. We can't tell the travel service provider that gets the email the name of the person making the inquiry for two reasons (a) we don't know without researching the original request; and (b) our privacy policy (please go to
www.tet.org/about.php
and click the link "privacy") prohibits us from sharing that information consistent with the policy, since the person was not filing a complaint against a Seal Hollder (thus researching would be a moot exercise) . They simply inquired Seal Holder status.
Since we cannot do that, let me do this for the purpose of this board - it would not be in violation of any privacy information to direct you to some websites that are Seal Holders since by posting the Seal on their websites as it is public information as to their being a Seal Holder. So, to just to pick an arbitrary number - here are a dozen that I grabbed from our database (I put the URL that they provide us as to the location of the Seal) - scroll their page and the Seal is posted in whatever convenient location the webmaster determines. Click any of them and it will take you to a report page on the travel service provider.
www.allaboutturkey.com/tours.htm
www.alpineoutfitters.com/
www.bath-corsham-bedandbreakfast.com/
www.gettingaway.com/
www.locandaelfi.it/
www.mrhh.com.au/
www.selfdrivesa.com/
www.ticacabins.com/
www.turquoisebayresort.com/
www.villasneardisney.net/
www.winecountryfarm.com/
www.classicalaskacharters.com/about_us.htm
I hope this sampling is of help to you. You can click the Seal on any (or all) of the webpages and it will take you to a report we keep on our servers related to the travel service provider. Seal Holders are also permitted to submit articles about their general geographic area and that is published on our site along with full acknowledgement of the author and his/her website.
Here, for example, is one that we just published
www.tet.org/submit/explorerkenya.php
I encourage you to spend some time at
www.tet.org
and look at our "mandate" in the About Us section as well as reviewing the For Travelers section and For Businesses section. And, finally, try doing some keyword searches. We update our index of data once a week so things submitted in this last week get updated on Tuesdays to be included in the search results.
If, ultimately, your cynicism abates, and you would like to become a Seal Holder, you can complete the application at
www.tet.org/join.php It is free - no charge. Nada.
Finally, Muirford, maybe we should be putting Copyright 1997-2008 but we have been changing that copyright date each year so it's current.
Jeff

I have no idea who "Marketing for the Assoc. Altraverse is the "straight" side of Purple Roofs." that Gillumhouse refers to in one of the above posts is but let me tell you about Trust Earned Travel (tet.org).
TET.org has been around since 1997 but only really active in the last couple of years as a result of funding by a "philanthropist" with no ties to the travel industry. Having written that, he loves to travel and this is a passion he has as to helping out other travelers and pointing out travel service providers that do not treat the traveling public correctly and "rewarding" those that do. TET.og has no revenue (as a result of it being a free service) but is operated through his main business activity.
The e-mail Muiford quotes that is at the top of this post is one that is sent out automatically when someone contacts us to see if a travel service provider is a TET Seal Holder. We can't tell the travel service provider that gets the email the name of the person making the inquiry for two reasons (a) we don't know without researching the original request; and (b) our privacy policy (please go to
www.tet.org/about.php
and click the link "privacy") prohibits us from sharing that information consistent with the policy, since the person was not filing a complaint against a Seal Hollder (thus researching would be a moot exercise) . They simply inquired Seal Holder status.
Since we cannot do that, let me do this for the purpose of this board - it would not be in violation of any privacy information to direct you to some websites that are Seal Holders since by posting the Seal on their websites as it is public information as to their being a Seal Holder. So, to just to pick an arbitrary number - here are a dozen that I grabbed from our database (I put the URL that they provide us as to the location of the Seal) - scroll their page and the Seal is posted in whatever convenient location the webmaster determines. Click any of them and it will take you to a report page on the travel service provider.
www.gettingaway.com/
www.locandaelfi.it/
www.mrhh.com.au/
www.selfdrivesa.com/
www.ticacabins.com/
www.winecountryfarm.com/
I hope this sampling is of help to you. You can click the Seal on any (or all) of the webpages and it will take you to a report we keep on our servers related to the travel service provider. Seal Holders are also permitted to submit articles about their general geographic area and that is published on our site along with full acknowledgement of the author and his/her website.
www.tet.org
and look at our "mandate" in the About Us section as well as reviewing the For Travelers section and For Businesses section. And, finally, try doing some keyword searches. We update our index of data once a week so things submitted in this last week get updated on Tuesdays to be included in the search results.
If, ultimately, your cynicism abates, and you would like to become a Seal Holder, you can complete the application at
Finally, Muirford, maybe we should be putting Copyright 1997-2008 but we have been changing that copyright date each year so it's current.
Jeff.
The cynicism comes from the fact that SO many of us received this very email on the same day. Coincidence? We don't think so.

www.tet.org/about.php
www.gettingaway.com/
www.locandaelfi.it/
www.mrhh.com.au/
www.selfdrivesa.com/
www.ticacabins.com/
www.winecountryfarm.com/
www.tet.org
Jeff.
The cynicism comes from the fact that SO many of us received this very email on the same day. Coincidence? We don't think so.
Bree, as you wish....we do batch send out what we get in over a period of time - not on a daily basis...but nothing I write is going to convince you otherwise. All the best to you - and yes, Maine is "the way life should be...." considering it's 112 degrees in Scottsdale, today.
Jeff.

i am confident in myself, in my place, in my work ethic and that of my chambermaids - am town and state regulated - belong to local chamber and local innkeeper and other assoc's. guests can find unsolicited reviews from prior guests on tripadvisor, etc. they can call me, talk to me, ask questions, view my website ..... i feel this is sufficient for a potential guest to determine that i am trustworthy.

www.tet.org/about.php
www.gettingaway.com/
www.locandaelfi.it/
www.mrhh.com.au/
www.selfdrivesa.com/
www.ticacabins.com/
www.winecountryfarm.com/
www.tet.org
Jeff.
trustearnedtravel said:
You think I'm cynical because I ask my colleagues about something I've never heard of before? I don't know who goes through your email before you see it, Jeff, but just in the past few days I've got emails from a dozen companies wanting to get my website seen by search engines, a few church groups from the UK who want to book several rooms for several nights, and one from a company that says I've won an award for my business but what they really want is $100 to send me a crappy printed poster. We get phone calls from people claiming to be government agents with health posters we are 'required' to buy and telemarketers who tape record phone calls and edit them to 'prove' that you've signed up for some service you never agreed to.
So, I've never heard of you before - no matter how may citings you have on your website - and I ask a group of people I trust (that's a concept you might have heard of) what they know about it. Lest you think otherwise, I'm well-educated and relatively well-connected in the B&B world and belong to PAII, Select Registry and my state association.
trustearnedtravel said:
If, ultimately, your cynicism abates, and you would like to become a Seal Holder, you can complete the application at It is free - no charge. Nada. Finally, Muirford, maybe we should be putting Copyright 1997-2008 but we have been changing that copyright date each year so it's current.
Trust is a two-way street. Copyright information appropriately stated might actually help make the case that you are a legitimate website, and it's pretty common to say 1997-2008 if you've actually had a copyrighted website for that entire time. On the other hand, snarky comments in response to a legitimate question won't build any trust with me, and I won't be rushing to join your website anytime soon.

Muirford, my comment about cynicism was not directed to you personally and I apologize if it was taken that way. It was just the series of comments from a whole bunch of folks that was cumulative that caused me to want to write. I am not familiar with the word "snarky" but I am guessing it is not complimentary and, again, it was not my intent to elicit this type of feeling rom you. I was simply trying to establish our bona fides.
Yes, you are right, the Internet is rife with scams, con artists, thieves and hucksters. My point in taking the time to respond was simply to differentiate ourselves because when I saw the cumulative postings, I guess I took them "personally"
So, let's just call it a day...I enjoyed the exchange of correspondence and wish you the best with your Inn - I am sure you are a gracious hostess and run an outstanding facility.
Jeff

www.tet.org/about.php
www.gettingaway.com/
www.locandaelfi.it/
www.mrhh.com.au/
www.selfdrivesa.com/
www.ticacabins.com/
www.winecountryfarm.com/
www.tet.org
Jeff.
Hi Jeff and welcome to INNspiring.com.
jeff said:
The e-mail Muiford quotes that is at the top of this post is one that is sent out automatically when someone contacts us to see if a travel service provider is a TET Seal Holder.
Where is the form on the TET site where people can inquire about B&B's that are not already members and trigger this automatic unsolicited email?

www.tet.org/about.php
www.gettingaway.com/
www.locandaelfi.it/
www.mrhh.com.au/
www.selfdrivesa.com/
www.ticacabins.com/
www.winecountryfarm.com/
www.tet.org
Jeff.
jeff said:
The e-mail Muiford quotes that is at the top of this post is one that is sent out automatically when someone contacts us to see if a travel service provider is a TET Seal Holder.
Where is the form on the TET site where people can inquire about B&B's that are not already members and trigger this automatic unsolicited email?
At http://www.tet.org/about.php is a customer service link - people send us a emails with all kinds of quesions/comments. One type of question is: - is xyz a Seal Holder? Actually, a more efficient way to find out is for the inquiring party to enter the name of the xyz company in our search box at the top of all pages and see if any results some up. But, most people don't think of that - they just write.
We intermittently harvest the emails sent to us for travel service provider's names and then send out the email you saw, presuming that we can find them on the Internet and establish an email address.
Jeff

www.tet.org/about.php
www.gettingaway.com/
www.locandaelfi.it/
www.mrhh.com.au/
www.selfdrivesa.com/
www.ticacabins.com/
www.winecountryfarm.com/
www.tet.org
Jeff.
jeff said:
At http://www.tet.org/about.php is a customer service link - people send us a emails with all kinds of quesions/comments. One type of question is: - is xyz a Seal Holder? Actually, a more efficient way to find out is for the inquiring party to enter the name of the xyz company in our search box at the top of all pages and see if any results some up. But, most people don't think of that - they just write.
We intermittently harvest the emails sent to us for travel service provider's names and then send out the email you saw, presuming that we can find them on the Internet and establish an email address.
Jeff
jeff said:
combined with this
the email said:
We were given your contact information by a traveler interested in your services.
clarified by this
jeff said:
kind of goes against
TET standard 1 said:
Code 1: A TET seal holder shall never use deceptive practices and shall be guided by: truth, accuracy, honesty, fairness and integrity in its activities.
  • A TET seal holder shall not engage in any act or omission of a dishonest, deceitful or fraudulent nature in the conduct of business activities.
As I'm sure you understand, inconsistencies undermine trust more than they build it. So do we chalk it up to a lack of accuracy in language due to the rapid nature of forum discussion, or deceptive practices?

Swirt - WELL DONE I say ole chap! My vote is B - Deceptive practices. - Trust Earned, not on your life!

Back