Turn Down Service

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: If you turn down one you must turn down all or they will talk at breakfast?
I have a few qualms:
Half of our guests will be here past 9pm tonight it being a FRIDAY.
Some guests have already USED the bed. This is a big issue for me. I think I personally would FREAK if an innkeeper came into the room and REMADE MY bed after xyz.
Of course you would have to make sure the guests know this turn-down will be happening, but most guests don't read. It is not the same as making the bed the next day. It is more of having your privacy invaded by the innkeeper.
Once we check in, it is our space unless they do maid service and we are up for that. But to come back from dinner and to have the lingerie placed near the pillows at turn down could embarrass people.
Lastly, I can't keep track of the guests, I rarely even remember their names - they are one guest all rolled into one after a while. Evenings are family time. Interrupted ENOUGH by late check ins.
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think I personally would FREAK if an innkeeper came into the room and REMADE MY bed after xyz.
I love this! And it leads me to wonder... if you'd freak after xyz would you be OK after pqr?
JBJ said:
Lastly, I can't keep track of the guests, I rarely even remember their names - they are one guest all rolled into one after a while.
Oh, good. It's not just me. I've been thinking that one of the signs I'm not such a newbie anymore is I don't always remember guests names but then don't take the time to go look them up. When we had a wedding group here I had 5 out of 7 down pat, but never bothered to figure the other two out. The next weekend we had newlyweds, I never did quite learn their names. It's like going to the pediatrician and the nurse calls you "mom." She has no idea what my name is, but that's OK by me...
JBJ said:
Evenings are family time. Interrupted ENOUGH by late check ins.
You know, I like the idea of turndowns, and I'd love to do exactly like Tipsy, but I think the reality is they're not happening here. Evenings are family time. And our guests are here for all different kinds of reasons, majority not romantic, and come and go at all different times. So I'm letting go of the idea, at least for now.
I did decide that when I run out of the Almond Roca I've been giving that I'm going to start making homemade Buckeyes for treats. I had never made them before last week (although I've had a recipe for them for years) and I made them for the first time to compete at the Fair... not too hard, wonderful taste, and totally regional, plus probably cost effective since I'll make them myself. I just need to figure out a good way to wrap them.
=)
Kk.
You could get a pattern to make little boxes to hold them. Good job for the boys when they are old enough to do them. The buckeyes I have seen would look nice in the little candy cupcake type papers set in a box.
You could also wrap in wax paper and twist both sides like taffy is wrapped.
Just a couple of thoughts. You are so creative.
hawley said:
You could get a pattern to make little boxes to hold them. Good job for the boys when they are old enough to do them. The buckeyes I have seen would look nice in the little candy cupcake type papers set in a box.
THANK YOU!! I have a little pattern for a box, and I thought about making my own, but I was concerned about the chocolate sticking to the box, or it not being "food safe." But I have some mini-muffin foil cups that will work great, and I hadn't even thought of them...
Thanks!!
JBJ--This is not my recipe, but it's similar, and has a picture: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buckeyes-I/Detail.aspx
=)
Kk.

Question: If you turn down one you must turn down all or they will talk at breakfast?
I have a few qualms:
Some guests have already USED the bed. This is a big issue for me. I think I personally would FREAK if an innkeeper came into the room and REMADE MY bed after xyz.
Of course you would have to make sure the guests know this turn-down will be happening, but most guests don't read. It is not the same as making the bed the next day. It is more of having your privacy invaded by the innkeeper.
Once we check in, it is our space unless they do maid service and we are up for that. But to come back from dinner and to have the lingerie placed near the pillows at turn down could embarrass people.
Lastly, I can't keep track of the guests, I rarely even remember their names - they are one guest all rolled into one after a while. Evenings are family time. Interrupted ENOUGH by late check ins.
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think I personally would FREAK if an innkeeper came into the room and REMADE MY bed after xyz.
I love this! And it leads me to wonder... if you'd freak after xyz would you be OK after pqr?
JBJ said:
Lastly, I can't keep track of the guests, I rarely even remember their names - they are one guest all rolled into one after a while.
Oh, good. It's not just me. I've been thinking that one of the signs I'm not such a newbie anymore is I don't always remember guests names but then don't take the time to go look them up. When we had a wedding group here I had 5 out of 7 down pat, but never bothered to figure the other two out. The next weekend we had newlyweds, I never did quite learn their names. It's like going to the pediatrician and the nurse calls you "mom." She has no idea what my name is, but that's OK by me...
JBJ said:
You know, I like the idea of turndowns, and I'd love to do exactly like Tipsy, but I think the reality is they're not happening here. Evenings are family time. And our guests are here for all different kinds of reasons, majority not romantic, and come and go at all different times. So I'm letting go of the idea, at least for now.
I did decide that when I run out of the Almond Roca I've been giving that I'm going to start making homemade Buckeyes for treats. I had never made them before last week (although I've had a recipe for them for years) and I made them for the first time to compete at the Fair... not too hard, wonderful taste, and totally regional, plus probably cost effective since I'll make them myself. I just need to figure out a good way to wrap them.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
The pqr is BEFORE dinner.
shades_smile.gif

Do you call your guests by room names yet? I have to do this on the weekends. Honestly like we talk about, your wedding guests, they show up all done up or NO makeup and I don't even know who they are! So it is by room name, and then I am less likely to embarrass myself. Let's face it, even in one room you have multiple names, first, last, official name on rez - then the nick name...
I have a few lingering Almond Roca, it is a good thing they are wrapped! ha ha I love them tho.
Please tell me what a homemade buckeye is?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Do you call your guests by room names yet? I have to do this on the weekends. Honestly like we talk about, your wedding guests, they show up all done up or NO makeup and I don't even know who they are! So it is by room name, and then I am less likely to embarrass myself. Let's face it, even in one room you have multiple names, first, last, official name on rez - then the nick name...
Yes, the wedding guests were the worst... the sister made the rez, the groom had one name, the bride another!
JBJ said:
Peanut butter, butter, and powdered sugar mixed, rolled in a ball,and dipped in chocolate. You leave some of the peanut butter ball showing, so it ends up looking like a buckeye. Yum! A recipe similar to mine (with a picture): http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buckeyes-I/Detail.aspx
=)
Kk.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
hawley said:
THANK YOU!! I have a little pattern for a box, and I thought about making my own, but I was concerned about the chocolate sticking to the box, or it not being "food safe." But I have some mini-muffin foil cups that will work great, and I hadn't even thought of them...
Thanks!!
JBJ--This is not my recipe, but it's similar, and has a picture: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buckeyes-I/Detail.aspx
=)
Kk.
Glad to jog your memory.

Ahhh frozen peanut butter calls! I was wondering how that would work. COOL. Thanks! I would love these, I love reeses.

well, it's interesting. this whole turn down service ... yes, i did stay at a place that offered it as an 'add on' i don't recall the fee ... i'm thinking it was $12. a nite. everything cost there ... the wifi access code cost. and the guest fridge in the rooms, if you drank a bottled water, that was on the bill.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
hawley said:
Thanks!!
=)
Kk.
I saw the perfect mini boxes at the Dollar Store today for that. something like 10 in the pack. Very classy. Just an idea.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
hawley said:
Thanks!!
=)
Kk.
I saw the perfect mini boxes at the Dollar Store today for that. something like 10 in the pack. Very classy. Just an idea.
Samster said:
Thanks! Do you remember which chain?
=)
Kk.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
...Buckeyes for treats. ...not too hard, wonderful taste, and totally regional, plus probably cost effective since I'll make them myself. I just need to figure out a good way to wrap them.
www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com is a great site for the small business owner who does their own foods/candies/soaps/candles, that sort of thing. They have tons of ideas and packaging solutions. I bought all my canning jars from them when I owned my own jam/jelly business. They were very cost effective and it actually cost me less money in gas to drive to the warehouse to pick them up than UPS or FedEx. They are in our neck of the woods: Brook Park, south of Cleveland.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
...Buckeyes for treats. ...not too hard, wonderful taste, and totally regional, plus probably cost effective since I'll make them myself. I just need to figure out a good way to wrap them.
www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com is a great site for the small business owner who does their own foods/candies/soaps/candles, that sort of thing. They have tons of ideas and packaging solutions. I bought all my canning jars from them when I owned my own jam/jelly business. They were very cost effective and it actually cost me less money in gas to drive to the warehouse to pick them up than UPS or FedEx. They are in our neck of the woods: Brook Park, south of Cleveland.
emspiers said:
YellowSocks said:
Thanks! Even closer for me than you, and I think I may be up that way in October. My sister and I were talking aout a jam/jelly biz... she's a canner and has a friend who's been trying to get her to sell her stuff. By herself it's probably not enough, but coupled with the offerings dh and I have, we might be able to hit the farmer's markets...
=)
Kk.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
emspiers said:
YellowSocks said:
Thanks! Even closer for me than you, and I think I may be up that way in October. My sister and I were talking aout a jam/jelly biz... she's a canner and has a friend who's been trying to get her to sell her stuff. By herself it's probably not enough, but coupled with the offerings dh and I have, we might be able to hit the farmer's markets...
=)
Kk.
That's how I got started. I had an over-abundance of black raspberries and strawberries one year and decided to "just make some jam". 80+ jars later and I was in business. I've been doing it for about 4 years now and still counting

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
hawley said:
Thanks!!
=)
Kk.
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
Dollar Tree Stores, Inc - they were in with the wedding stuff. I use their little favor boxes here to put a couple of truffles or something on my breakfast trays for anniversary, wedding, or honeymoon couples.
heart.gif
I'm always looking in that area for cute things. Today, I got a set of 4 small plastic tongs for $1. Great to go with treat plates to the rooms.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
hawley said:
Thanks!!
=)
Kk.
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
Dollar Tree Stores, Inc - they were in with the wedding stuff. I use their little favor boxes here to put a couple of truffles or something on my breakfast trays for anniversary, wedding, or honeymoon couples.
heart.gif
I'm always looking in that area for cute things. Today, I got a set of 4 small plastic tongs for $1. Great to go with treat plates to the rooms.

well, it's interesting. this whole turn down service ... yes, i did stay at a place that offered it as an 'add on' i don't recall the fee ... i'm thinking it was $12. a nite. everything cost there ... the wifi access code cost. and the guest fridge in the rooms, if you drank a bottled water, that was on the bill..
When you add it all up, we are a bargain here
regular_smile.gif

well, it's interesting. this whole turn down service ... yes, i did stay at a place that offered it as an 'add on' i don't recall the fee ... i'm thinking it was $12. a nite. everything cost there ... the wifi access code cost. and the guest fridge in the rooms, if you drank a bottled water, that was on the bill..
When you add it all up, we are a bargain here
regular_smile.gif

you sure are!

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
emspiers said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
That's how I got started. I had an over-abundance of black raspberries and strawberries one year and decided to "just make some jam". 80+ jars later and I was in business. I've been doing it for about 4 years now and still counting
emspiers said:
What is a black raspberry? I have not heard of them but they sound yummy.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
emspiers said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
emspiers said:
A black raspberry is a variation of the red raspberry (No, I am not being a smart aleck :) ) It has the characteristics of a red rasp: the core of the stem stays on the plant (leaving behind the hole in the middle). It tastes more like a blackberry, in which the core stays with the fruit. But the blackberry is larger (usually) and more tart. The blask rasp is sweeter and slightly smaller.
Are they a regional thing? I'm not sure, but we picked GALLONS of them this year. I probably froze 20- 4 quart bags of them and made 20+ jars of jam and at least 12 jars of black raspberry pie-in-a-jar

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
emspiers said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
emspiers said:
A black raspberry is a variation of the red raspberry (No, I am not being a smart aleck :) ) It has the characteristics of a red rasp: the core of the stem stays on the plant (leaving behind the hole in the middle). It tastes more like a blackberry, in which the core stays with the fruit. But the blackberry is larger (usually) and more tart. The blask rasp is sweeter and slightly smaller.
Are they a regional thing? I'm not sure, but we picked GALLONS of them this year. I probably froze 20- 4 quart bags of them and made 20+ jars of jam and at least 12 jars of black raspberry pie-in-a-jar
emspiers said:
Did a google now my mouth is watering. !!! Is this perhaps the seedless blackberry jam or preserves we see at the store?
Munger: (Black Raspberry) Developed in Ohio, Munger is a midseason bearer. Large, plump yet firm, shiny black berries that are not seedy.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
emspiers said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
emspiers said:
emspiers said:
Is that their real name, or a local name do you think? They are not MARIONBERRIES are they? Which are my all time favorite berry in a pie, ahem, in the entire world.
DEF: A cross between the Chehalem and Olallieberry blackberries, developed at Oregon State University, the Marionberry has an aromatic bouquet and an intense ...
I looked not the same berry. Mm they sound so good!

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
The pqr is BEFORE dinner.
shades_smile.gif

I have a few lingering Almond Roca, it is a good thing they are wrapped! ha ha I love them tho.
Trishany will cringe, we totally call the guests by room names! How else do we tell them apart?
cheers.gif

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
emspiers said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
emspiers said:
Black raspberry and blackberries are two very different berries. The black raspberry is sweet and a full of seeds as a red raspberry and just as expensive if not moreso.
I do not think they are regional. I think they are found all over. It takes a lot more black raspberries to make a batch of jelly than blackberries. A jar of black raspberry jelly is a dollar or more higher than blackberry. Very different tastes also but but are yummy.

Back