Turn Down Service

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambled_eggs

Reaction score
Does anyone do turn down service? If so do you do it each night if the guest is staying multiple nights? What do you place in the room during turn down service?
What I have done is come in and remove the decorative pillows from the bed. Pull back the covers and place the breakfast menu on the bed near the pillows. It's not a menu you can choose from since it is cook's choice but it tells the guests what will be served ahead of time and what time breakfast is served. I also bring in a pitcher of ice water and some freshly baked cookies. I turn a light on so it looks warm and inviting when they come back. I will sometimes empty their trash cans and also replace their cups and glasses with new clean ones if they were used.
Any other ideas on what can be done for this service?

I do turn down service. Usually it seems like only the first night although I've had a couple of guests that loved it so much that I turned down their room every night. For those folks (and because I knew when they were out), I put something different on the bed every night. Turn down chocolates, then a rose with the turn down chocolates, then a small box of chocolates & a card...that kind of thing. I also turn the bed down differently every night if I do it for a longer stay.
I do what you do. Also, make sure there are a couple of lights on to welcome them back. Close the drapes. Make sure the room temp is OK. Sometimes I'll turn on a soft music station on the radio/CD player or put a Romance CD in the player on repeat mode.

Wow you do a really good job. I like the rose idea and the different treats every night. I haven't gotten to that part yet. Maybe someday. I didn't know there were different ways to turn the beds down each night.

I do turn down service. Usually it seems like only the first night although I've had a couple of guests that loved it so much that I turned down their room every night. For those folks (and because I knew when they were out), I put something different on the bed every night. Turn down chocolates, then a rose with the turn down chocolates, then a small box of chocolates & a card...that kind of thing. I also turn the bed down differently every night if I do it for a longer stay.
I do what you do. Also, make sure there are a couple of lights on to welcome them back. Close the drapes. Make sure the room temp is OK. Sometimes I'll turn on a soft music station on the radio/CD player or put a Romance CD in the player on repeat mode..
sounds lovely.
what is the fee for turndown service?
do guests work with you on what time you will do it?

I do turn-down for a number of reasons.
  • It's one way to differentiate myself
  • I love the way the room looks formal when they leave for dinner and is (hopefully) welcoming, warm & cozy when they get back
  • It seems to put people in a good mood for breakfast the next morning
  • It's a way to personalize the experience
  • I get to catch wet towels, dripping ice buckets etc before they do too much damage
What I do is similar to Samster - take off the pillow covers, turn-down the comforter to the crisp white sheets, turn the bedside lamps on low, close the blinds, put the "room bear" on the bed with treats and whatever else is appropriate for that room and put on some music.
Treats are different every night, music is selected based on the guests and anything else will be based on hints I've picked up from chatting to them.

We don't have the time or money to do turn downs with a rose or different gift each night since Chris is driving wine tours and I'm still working at UVA and we only have two suites.
We do turn down in our tasting room which is the connector room between the suite's wing and the main building. We put out port glasses and a couple of our locally made chocolates and they take it back to their rooms or enjoy there. This way we are not trapped in the inn watching when they are coming and/or going. Many of our guests take a nap after their wine tour and we can't keep watching to see if they get up and go out to dinner or not.
Riki

I do turn-down for a number of reasons.
  • It's one way to differentiate myself
  • I love the way the room looks formal when they leave for dinner and is (hopefully) welcoming, warm & cozy when they get back
  • It seems to put people in a good mood for breakfast the next morning
  • It's a way to personalize the experience
  • I get to catch wet towels, dripping ice buckets etc before they do too much damage
What I do is similar to Samster - take off the pillow covers, turn-down the comforter to the crisp white sheets, turn the bedside lamps on low, close the blinds, put the "room bear" on the bed with treats and whatever else is appropriate for that room and put on some music.
Treats are different every night, music is selected based on the guests and anything else will be based on hints I've picked up from chatting to them..
I do the same things. This makes guests feel special IMHO. I also put silk pedels on the bed if it is a wedding night couple or a young couple getting away from small children or if I think it would be the perfect addition to their stay. I don't do this often but when I feel the fit. I did see one bed and breakfast that charges $15 for this service. WOW! I don't thing I would ever charge for this simple thing.
Do people really charge for turn down?
sandynn

Question: If you turn down one you must turn down all or they will talk at breakfast?
I have a few qualms:
Half of our guests will be here past 9pm tonight it being a FRIDAY.
Some guests have already USED the bed. This is a big issue for me. I think I personally would FREAK if an innkeeper came into the room and REMADE MY bed after xyz.
Of course you would have to make sure the guests know this turn-down will be happening, but most guests don't read. It is not the same as making the bed the next day. It is more of having your privacy invaded by the innkeeper.
Once we check in, it is our space unless they do maid service and we are up for that. But to come back from dinner and to have the lingerie placed near the pillows at turn down could embarrass people.
Lastly, I can't keep track of the guests, I rarely even remember their names - they are one guest all rolled into one after a while. Evenings are family time. Interrupted ENOUGH by late check ins.
Just my 2 cents.

Question: If you turn down one you must turn down all or they will talk at breakfast?
I have a few qualms:
Some guests have already USED the bed. This is a big issue for me. I think I personally would FREAK if an innkeeper came into the room and REMADE MY bed after xyz.
Of course you would have to make sure the guests know this turn-down will be happening, but most guests don't read. It is not the same as making the bed the next day. It is more of having your privacy invaded by the innkeeper.
Once we check in, it is our space unless they do maid service and we are up for that. But to come back from dinner and to have the lingerie placed near the pillows at turn down could embarrass people.
Lastly, I can't keep track of the guests, I rarely even remember their names - they are one guest all rolled into one after a while. Evenings are family time. Interrupted ENOUGH by late check ins.
Just my 2 cents..
You've pretty much described how I feel about turn-down service as a guest.
I would hope it would be mentioned in the room literature that my room will be turned down, and what I should do if I don't want it turned down (ie. place the do not disturb sign or let the innkeeper know).

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
I'm with you...I can't keep track of who is in the house and who is out. Because you don't need your car here, many guests park it and forget it so I never know if they're here when I want to clean rooms, much less after dinner.
It was really great to see the way Tipsy does it, tho. It was a nice touch.

I do what you do. Also, make sure there are a couple of lights on to welcome them back. Close the drapes. Make sure the room temp is OK. Sometimes I'll turn on a soft music station on the radio/CD player or put a Romance CD in the player on repeat mode..
sounds lovely.
No fee. It is a complimentary service. It's offered at check-in & the guest has the chance to decline but that has only happened a couple of times. I pretty much do what Tipsy does and just turndown while they're out at dinner.
I always turn down a room for late arriving guests.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
I'm with you...I can't keep track of who is in the house and who is out. Because you don't need your car here, many guests park it and forget it so I never know if they're here when I want to clean rooms, much less after dinner.
It was really great to see the way Tipsy does it, tho. It was a nice touch.
Thanks Bree
I think this demonstrates one of the most wonderful things about B&Bs - they're all different and there is a B&B for everyone. I do what makes me happy and so set the "feel" of my inn.
It's great to get the B&B virgins who (are surprised how much they) loved their stay and ask "are they all like this". My response is "No - They are all different. Most are much better. Each B&B I've come across so far is wonderful in it's own way and every place will have it's own way to surprise and delight you".

Great answer, Tipsy! That is kind of what I say about just our B&Bs here - we're all just a bit different but all special in our own way
teeth_smile.gif
If all B&B/inns were the same...how boring that would be!!

sounds lovely.
No fee. It is a complimentary service. It's offered at check-in & the guest has the chance to decline but that has only happened a couple of times. I pretty much do what Tipsy does and just turndown while they're out at dinner.
Samster said:
Thats a nice way to do it. Guests can appreciate the offer even if they prefer to decline. It still demonstrates that special level of service and care.
And, yes! Our differences our part of our appeal!

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JBJ - Absolutely understood. I will expose a little of myself here:
I am an insecure, approval seeking, stubborn, advice seeking, comfort giving female that has always marched to her own drum. I am happy beyond belief with what I do now because the outcome - good, bad or indifferent is down to me - no excuses. There are two, new things that STILL make me wide-eyed: the fact I actually have such a beautiful house in my charge and the fact that I can actually get paid for doing something I love .... and more importantly, for being ME !!!!!
You are many things to me - an experienced, open, contributive asset that always makes me think and rethink the way I do things. We do things very differently and the bottom line is that this simply confirms my opinion that it is our very differences that make our industry so exhillarating and appealing and make this forum such an amazing resource.
BTW ..... can you tell I have a day off from the store today and bleaching, scrubbing and hosing down shelves in the rain isn't all it's cracked up to be
teeth_smile.gif

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think I personally would FREAK if an innkeeper came into the room and REMADE MY bed after xyz.
I love this! And it leads me to wonder... if you'd freak after xyz would you be OK after pqr?
JBJ said:
Lastly, I can't keep track of the guests, I rarely even remember their names - they are one guest all rolled into one after a while.
Oh, good. It's not just me. I've been thinking that one of the signs I'm not such a newbie anymore is I don't always remember guests names but then don't take the time to go look them up. When we had a wedding group here I had 5 out of 7 down pat, but never bothered to figure the other two out. The next weekend we had newlyweds, I never did quite learn their names. It's like going to the pediatrician and the nurse calls you "mom." She has no idea what my name is, but that's OK by me...
JBJ said:
Evenings are family time. Interrupted ENOUGH by late check ins.
You know, I like the idea of turndowns, and I'd love to do exactly like Tipsy, but I think the reality is they're not happening here. Evenings are family time. And our guests are here for all different kinds of reasons, majority not romantic, and come and go at all different times. So I'm letting go of the idea, at least for now.
I did decide that when I run out of the Almond Roca I've been giving that I'm going to start making homemade Buckeyes for treats. I had never made them before last week (although I've had a recipe for them for years) and I made them for the first time to compete at the Fair... not too hard, wonderful taste, and totally regional, plus probably cost effective since I'll make them myself. I just need to figure out a good way to wrap them.
=)
Kk.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I think I personally would FREAK if an innkeeper came into the room and REMADE MY bed after xyz.
I love this! And it leads me to wonder... if you'd freak after xyz would you be OK after pqr?
JBJ said:
Lastly, I can't keep track of the guests, I rarely even remember their names - they are one guest all rolled into one after a while.
Oh, good. It's not just me. I've been thinking that one of the signs I'm not such a newbie anymore is I don't always remember guests names but then don't take the time to go look them up. When we had a wedding group here I had 5 out of 7 down pat, but never bothered to figure the other two out. The next weekend we had newlyweds, I never did quite learn their names. It's like going to the pediatrician and the nurse calls you "mom." She has no idea what my name is, but that's OK by me...
JBJ said:
You know, I like the idea of turndowns, and I'd love to do exactly like Tipsy, but I think the reality is they're not happening here. Evenings are family time. And our guests are here for all different kinds of reasons, majority not romantic, and come and go at all different times. So I'm letting go of the idea, at least for now.
I did decide that when I run out of the Almond Roca I've been giving that I'm going to start making homemade Buckeyes for treats. I had never made them before last week (although I've had a recipe for them for years) and I made them for the first time to compete at the Fair... not too hard, wonderful taste, and totally regional, plus probably cost effective since I'll make them myself. I just need to figure out a good way to wrap them.
=)
Kk.
Wrapping for your cookies...you can check online for 'gift bags' and wrap the cookies in those, maybe 4 to a pack (I don't know how big a buckeye is). You could use edible wrappers (rice paper) or cellophane. There are a lot of places to buy in bulk.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
Wrapping for your cookies...you can check online for 'gift bags' and wrap the cookies in those, maybe 4 to a pack (I don't know how big a buckeye is). You could use edible wrappers (rice paper) or cellophane. There are a lot of places to buy in bulk.
Thanks, I will. Buckeye's aren't huge... maybe an inch, tops. A little box would be cute.
=)
Kk.

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
The pqr is BEFORE dinner.
shades_smile.gif

Do you call your guests by room names yet? I have to do this on the weekends. Honestly like we talk about, your wedding guests, they show up all done up or NO makeup and I don't even know who they are! So it is by room name, and then I am less likely to embarrass myself. Let's face it, even in one room you have multiple names, first, last, official name on rez - then the nick name...
I have a few lingering Almond Roca, it is a good thing they are wrapped! ha ha I love them tho.
Please tell me what a homemade buckeye is?

I have a few qualms:
Just my 2 cents..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
JBJ said:
JBJ said:
=)
Kk.
You could get a pattern to make little boxes to hold them. Good job for the boys when they are old enough to do them. The buckeyes I have seen would look nice in the little candy cupcake type papers set in a box.
You could also wrap in wax paper and twist both sides like taffy is wrapped.
Just a couple of thoughts. You are so creative.

Back