Turn Key, Successful Galveston Texas Bed & Breakfast For Sale

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaE29

Reaction score
Currently a successful Bed & Breakfast, this is a 6 bedroom, 5.5 bath home. All four guest rooms, with private baths, are located upstairs. There is also a fifth bedroom upstairs, currently being used for storage that could easily be turned into another guest room. The 750 sq ft owner s quarters features bedroom, living room, large bathroom & walk-in closet, & private entry/exit to home. Updated electrical, plumbing, & cosmetic work. Low maintenance Saltwater pool. Gardens include sprinkler system and drought tolerant, native plants & flowering bushes. Commercial grade tankless hot water, washer/dryer, & all kitchen appliances remain.

Price reflects a turnkey operation. The cost of property w/furnishings, business included (advertising, the business name, web domain name, licenses & permits) & future booking income (we are just going into the high season) is included in the price. This is a great opportunity for a single person or couple that has always wanted to own a B&B in their retirement or just want a simple lifestyle change. You're just 7 blocks from the beach & 2 miles from the historic Strand area. Galveston takes pride in its history, beaches, & architecture & is the one of the busiest cruise ports in the United States. The city has a wonderful laid-back Island feel, with friendly residents & a small town feel. Owner will provide 30 day extensive training to new owners, to include day to day business activity, accounting, marketing, & time management.

Agent listing

Good luck! (When we bought our inn, the owner offered 40 hours of training and we ended up getting about 12 hours. I can't imagine what you need to teach over 30 days.)

Good luck! (When we bought our inn, the owner offered 40 hours of training and we ended up getting about 12 hours. I can't imagine what you need to teach over 30 days.).
Oh you would be surprised. I think she means she will be available to consult for 30 days should questions arise. Some new owners will call up every day and ask some sort of question. You may be the exception :)

Good luck! (When we bought our inn, the owner offered 40 hours of training and we ended up getting about 12 hours. I can't imagine what you need to teach over 30 days.).
Oh you would be surprised. I think she means she will be available to consult for 30 days should questions arise. Some new owners will call up every day and ask some sort of question. You may be the exception :)
I think you are both right. I did mean extensive training - like side by side assistance. But 30 days is too much. I think maybe a week training and up to 60 days consulting is more realistic.

A little part of me is still attached also :) So I'd like to be involved for as long as the new owners might let me. Maybe. We'll see.

Also, how do you like the "B&B in their retirement" enticement? That's for the dreamers out there :) Wait...I mean...this is the PERFECT retirement job!

I think you are both right. I did mean extensive training - like side by side assistance. But 30 days is too much. I think maybe a week training and up to 60 days consulting is more realistic.

A little part of me is still attached also :) So I'd like to be involved for as long as the new owners might let me. Maybe. We'll see.

Also, how do you like the "B&B in their retirement" enticement? That's for the dreamers out there :) Wait...I mean...this is the PERFECT retirement job!
The place looks lovely! And your price is good too I think. Could never buy that here for your price. That's why we never sold.

Wanna trade?
shades_smile.gif

You get mountains I get beach...
If you have not done so, put your listing for FREE on http://www.innshopper.com/

My realtor is requesting income and some cost information for an out of state client who is pre-qualified, but hasn't seen the property in person. I'm a little weird about this, but it makes sense that the buyer would want to see if they can make the numbers work before flying down to see it and get their hopes up. What do you all think?

It's been on the market three days. I'm not crazy - I don't have my hopes up. But this is interesting. I didn't expect any interest for months.

My realtor is requesting income and some cost information for an out of state client who is pre-qualified, but hasn't seen the property in person. I'm a little weird about this, but it makes sense that the buyer would want to see if they can make the numbers work before flying down to see it and get their hopes up. What do you all think?

It's been on the market three days. I'm not crazy - I don't have my hopes up. But this is interesting. I didn't expect any interest for months..
BananaE29 said:

It's been on the market three days. I'm not crazy - I don't have my hopes up. But this is interesting. I didn't expect any interest for months.
For most people, the income has to make sense. You don't have to give them a detailed accounting, but I think it is fair for them to ask for an annual income and expense and also perhaps a seasonal breakdown.

It's been on the market three days. I'm not crazy - I don't have my hopes up. But this is interesting. I didn't expect any interest for months..
The forum has had this discussion before, about giving out what might otherwise be considered confidential business information only to serious prospective buyers and not any tire-kicker who comes down the pike. I think you have to rely on the judgement of your realtor (or business-broker) as which category this inquirer might fall in.

BananaE29 said:

For most people, the income has to make sense. You don't have to give them a detailed accounting, but I think it is fair for them to ask for an annual income and expense and also perhaps a seasonal breakdown.
This is how I've decided to do it: Breakdown of month by month income & occupancy rate. Costs disclosed will be: Taxes, Insurance, Utilities, Marketing, and Supplies. I know that most of those are subjective, but I think they should have some kind of rough idea what to expect.

It's hard to get a feel for people when you haven't met them, but I think giving out basic income information is necessary, especially if they are out of state. That income can be retrieved from the state hotel tax website anyway.

The forum has had this discussion before, about giving out what might otherwise be considered confidential business information only to serious prospective buyers and not any tire-kicker who comes down the pike. I think you have to rely on the judgement of your realtor (or business-broker) as which category this inquirer might fall in.
Harborfields said:
We had this last weekend. Really put us out, were not here when they said they would be, we have a bloody full house and were uber busy. On top of it the fam wanted to take me out for mother's day lunch(since we are full on Sunday and have a wedding here) and couldn't. They told us they weren't even thinking of buying right now. They also told us they were not even interested in THIS area.
You have no idea how irritating this is when we are busy, and they pull this crap.
And Banana another thing is brokers and realtors will be wanting all of your info, don't trust the realtor to know the difference. We had a Virginia B&B Broker call with a "They are at the airport RIGHT NOW!" so he could get the financials.
I don't trust them as far as I can throw them! Yes, B&B BROKERS!
Anyway, this tire kicker asked for the info and DH said I am sure you already have it, no, he said he never got it. Funny I spent an hour on the phone with him.
All that to say, be prepared for those who are not even buying right now to EXPECT to put you out to see the inn.

Harborfields said:
We had this last weekend. Really put us out, were not here when they said they would be, we have a bloody full house and were uber busy. On top of it the fam wanted to take me out for mother's day lunch(since we are full on Sunday and have a wedding here) and couldn't. They told us they weren't even thinking of buying right now. They also told us they were not even interested in THIS area.
You have no idea how irritating this is when we are busy, and they pull this crap.
And Banana another thing is brokers and realtors will be wanting all of your info, don't trust the realtor to know the difference. We had a Virginia B&B Broker call with a "They are at the airport RIGHT NOW!" so he could get the financials.
Anyway, this tire kicker asked for the info and DH said I am sure you already have it, no, he said he never got it. Funny I spent an hour on the phone with him.
All that to say, be prepared for those who are not even buying right now to EXPECT to put you out to see the inn.
Ugh. It's so disappointing that people would be so rude. You want to be helpful, but not stepped on.

I needed to get this information together anyway, and really...other than the few costs I'm providing, it's all information anyone can pull up on the internet. The business income (and all legit lodging accommodations in this state) are out there for the whole world to see, so I'm just making it a little easier for them. Now as far as showings go...I'm not going to be quite so easy on that. They have a three hour window - from 12 to 3 to see the house. That should work for most anyone.

BananaE29 said:

What you want is a non disclosure agreement. You don't want your financials to show up on the buyers Facebook page asking friends to help with the decision.
But, yes, you will be asked for this many times so get a package out together for the Realtor to hand out.

Harborfields said:
Ugh. It's so disappointing that people would be so rude. You want to be helpful, but not stepped on.

I needed to get this information together anyway, and really...other than the few costs I'm providing, it's all information anyone can pull up on the internet. The business income (and all legit lodging accommodations in this state) are out there for the whole world to see, so I'm just making it a little easier for them. Now as far as showings go...I'm not going to be quite so easy on that. They have a three hour window - from 12 to 3 to see the house. That should work for most anyone.
BananaE29 said:

Have the last three years of expenses: Utilities, taxes, fees, operating costs, etc
Have a list of everything conveying with the sale: broken down by room is best, so you can show the total $ and how substantial it is.
Have the last three years of revenue and occupancy (as that is the only word people know how to say) haha

BananaE29 said:

What you want is a non disclosure agreement. You don't want your financials to show up on the buyers Facebook page asking friends to help with the decision.
But, yes, you will be asked for this many times so get a package out together for the Realtor to hand out.
I was looking for someone to say this. It was the first thing that came to mind for me. They must sign a non-disclosure agreement that specifically states that the information is for a very narrow use and cannot be shared with anyone else.
This should include the realtor and be signed by them. EACH and every time they should be required to do this before sharing ANY business information with a new client.
I would also insist on a qualification process before that.

Harborfields said:
we had this with my neighbor - we are in a terrace and 3 of the bb's in it for sale, couple had booked to see all three but were basically wasting people's time as 1 property has no owners accommodation and they have 2 kids, 1 has 1 double bedroom for owners accommodation - so both those are out unless they take bedrooms - the 3rd should be ok but has only 5 bedrooms and in my opinion is overpriced.
Plus the husband intends to work full time at his regular job.

Harborfields said:
we had this with my neighbor - we are in a terrace and 3 of the bb's in it for sale, couple had booked to see all three but were basically wasting people's time as 1 property has no owners accommodation and they have 2 kids, 1 has 1 double bedroom for owners accommodation - so both those are out unless they take bedrooms - the 3rd should be ok but has only 5 bedrooms and in my opinion is overpriced.
Joey Camb said:
I work full time at my regular job. It can work.

Harborfields said:
Joey Camb said:
I work full time at my regular job. It can work.
in our area average occupancy is 65% with an average nights stay of 1.5 nights her DH only works 4 days a week and shifts so can help with breakfast before he goes to bed or one of the kids now they are older.
She will be burnt out on her own unless she can find a good reliable pair of chamber maids which may mean she can't pay the mortgage - its catch 22

Back