Turning a call from the road into a booking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I continue to get the same answer "I am driving I will give you the credit card when I get there." This usually ends up in a no show. So until I have the credit card details, there is no room being held for them. I explain to hold your room I will need a credit card.
She said she would call back when she stops for coffee. Will she? Or will she find a hotel along her 5 hr drive to here that looks nice when her eyes get too tired to drive?
How do you handle these calls? This is one reason we in our area, typically do not take walk ins (meaning call ins for the most part). When I ask for the cc they get offended. If they say they will give it to us at check in there is no check in. I cannot be Mother Hennish on these calls "Ok you have two hours to get here or call back." It just doesn't come across well.

No credit card NO ROOM!!! THAT IS IT!!! You have been burned once...never again. Why bend your rules for a total stranger????

OK, I get this a lot, obviously. Just had one today for that matter. Not 5 hours away, mind, but 2 blocks. It's early so I don't care if they show or not. But, I gave directions to them, said to please come and have a look and they said they would. I went back to what I was doing figuring they would never show. Took them 5 minutes to get here.
Now, if it is late and I get a call I require the cc info. I explain that in order to hold the room for them they need to give me insurance they are coming. And that insurance is their credit card. If they refuse I tell them we will not accept walk-ins after 7 PM. If they are serious they will give the info on the phone. If they are not serious they won't and I'm done even thinking about them.
Had one the other night. Called at 10 PM. 'We're on our way, do you have a room?' Caller id shows 'Massachusetts'. Now they could be 2 miles away, or they could be really JUST on the their way. I won't accept a call like that.

I am with you on this one JBJ. Just about every time I have failed to get a cc number thinking this person is a certainty (vendor at a Festival; descendant doing the "roots" thing...) I have been burned. No cc, I do not hold the room.

I agree with others no cc no room. I have a guy call from the road and want a room I told him I needed a cc number or no room. He gave me one. He was staying 4 days and said he would have breakfast on Friday and go to Indy and get a check from his boss. He was well dressed very nice and well spoken. I told him this would not do. So he went to his room and I ran the cc card went right up and knocked on his door. I then told him the card was not good and he would have to give me a good one. He acted very funny and I said just give me your personal one and he said he could not do that because he was getting a divorce and could not use the personal. So I said you must pay or you cannot stay. He then said he would go to Indy and get a card from his boss. You guessed it he took all his things and did not return. I was proud that I stuck to my guns on this. He did not even have time to even use the bathroom so all ended well. Even from the road on cc no room.

I agree with others no cc no room. I have a guy call from the road and want a room I told him I needed a cc number or no room. He gave me one. He was staying 4 days and said he would have breakfast on Friday and go to Indy and get a check from his boss. He was well dressed very nice and well spoken. I told him this would not do. So he went to his room and I ran the cc card went right up and knocked on his door. I then told him the card was not good and he would have to give me a good one. He acted very funny and I said just give me your personal one and he said he could not do that because he was getting a divorce and could not use the personal. So I said you must pay or you cannot stay. He then said he would go to Indy and get a card from his boss. You guessed it he took all his things and did not return. I was proud that I stuck to my guns on this. He did not even have time to even use the bathroom so all ended well. Even from the road on cc no room..
that was pretty gutsy of him to do that to you and good for you to hold your position with him!

I agree with others no cc no room. I have a guy call from the road and want a room I told him I needed a cc number or no room. He gave me one. He was staying 4 days and said he would have breakfast on Friday and go to Indy and get a check from his boss. He was well dressed very nice and well spoken. I told him this would not do. So he went to his room and I ran the cc card went right up and knocked on his door. I then told him the card was not good and he would have to give me a good one. He acted very funny and I said just give me your personal one and he said he could not do that because he was getting a divorce and could not use the personal. So I said you must pay or you cannot stay. He then said he would go to Indy and get a card from his boss. You guessed it he took all his things and did not return. I was proud that I stuck to my guns on this. He did not even have time to even use the bathroom so all ended well. Even from the road on cc no room..
YEAH for you!!! Glad you stuck to your guns on that one. That's why we always take their credit card for full payment when the checked in!!! We had one couple who went through every card in their wallets and none would be accepted. They said, we'll go to the atm and get some cash. We thought we would never see them again..but they did return..with cash:) And we wonder why our society is in such economic trouble!!!!

No card, no room. Even if I don't run it til they get here.
I've had them reading it by the dome light... it can be done!
=)
Kk.

Ha. We can't even turn a walk-in into a booking. 'I need to go speak to my husband, we'll go out for dinner and check back later.' Why? The price will be lower they think? No way. Lights go off soon and I'm done for the night.

She actually called to tell us she was stopping elsewhere and would like to stay with us on her next trip. I guess having her name and phone # and business name made her more cordial. LOL
Surprised it did not stick? Nawwwwwwwwww

But what ensures the payment if they apply for a chargeback?? You have their information over the phone and no proof they know the cancellation policy. I'm not arguing, just chicken to take a reservation like that over the phone since I only have two rooms
Riki

but if they don't show and then contest the card is what I'm worried about.
Riki

That is a great idea to keep them on hold for the short time while you run the card. Then, when you get back on the phone you can explain your policies related to no shows.

But what ensures the payment if they apply for a chargeback?? You have their information over the phone and no proof they know the cancellation policy. I'm not arguing, just chicken to take a reservation like that over the phone since I only have two rooms
Riki.
You run the card right then and there. If it bounces then you don't take their reservation.
I was at a client's office the other day...they have a dozen cabins... Phone call from the road came in for a room. She took the CC and ran it through the processor right then and there, got back on the phone and said. "fine, your card went through, we'll see you in a bit." That's the way to do it. I know it may cost a bit more in fees but...if you don't want to be burned...the way to go.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Do you have bad guests typically? Why are you fearful you will get them and have a chargeback? If all else fails, then stuff em. We are in out 5th year and had one chargeback which was a smoking in the room fee. She ended up paying half the fee. She was a young brat here with her boyfriend for a wedding. The worst guests overall have been here for a wedding. They are not B&B goers by nature.
It is WORTH taking the risk, that is what we do in this business, we have strangers in our midst for a living. Every guest in your door is a potential disaster. I have a big human rights DC attorney here right now. Should I hide who I am and what we do? Just in case?
Just live your life and be who you are and enjoy your guests! You are not in a place that is a draw from trouble makers. Don't let one rotten apple spoil the bunch of what you have going there.
regular_smile.gif

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Do you have bad guests typically? Why are you fearful you will get them and have a chargeback? If all else fails, then stuff em. We are in out 5th year and had one chargeback which was a smoking in the room fee. She ended up paying half the fee. She was a young brat here with her boyfriend for a wedding. The worst guests overall have been here for a wedding. They are not B&B goers by nature.
It is WORTH taking the risk, that is what we do in this business, we have strangers in our midst for a living. Every guest in your door is a potential disaster. I have a big human rights DC attorney here right now. Should I hide who I am and what we do? Just in case?
Just live your life and be who you are and enjoy your guests! You are not in a place that is a draw from trouble makers. Don't let one rotten apple spoil the bunch of what you have going there.
regular_smile.gif

Nope we have had great guests. Had to charge twice for last minute cancellations and will probably credit them if they rebook. No, the only one was a last minute cancellation who froze his credit card so we could not charge the one night deposit. I know some would keep checking and charge later but we'd rather not mess with him.
No, we are just naturally chicken. We are lucky we picked a location where people already want to travel to, because otherwise, with this attitude, we'd starve for sure.
I think it's just taking us some time to get used to charging when we should for last minute cancellations. We are doing it, but it's still scary. But we can't afford not to since we need to pay down debt in order to build our other wing.
RIki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
regular_smile.gif

Nope we have had great guests. Had to charge twice for last minute cancellations and will probably credit them if they rebook. No, the only one was a last minute cancellation who froze his credit card so we could not charge the one night deposit. I know some would keep checking and charge later but we'd rather not mess with him.
No, we are just naturally chicken. We are lucky we picked a location where people already want to travel to, because otherwise, with this attitude, we'd starve for sure.
I think it's just taking us some time to get used to charging when we should for last minute cancellations. We are doing it, but it's still scary. But we can't afford not to since we need to pay down debt in order to build our other wing.
RIki
Just make sure that it is written down on your website policies. On your webervations Check box for guests on line etc...Document that this is your policy so you have something to show the cc company in event of a chargeback.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
regular_smile.gif

RIki
Just make sure that it is written down on your website policies. On your webervations Check box for guests on line etc...Document that this is your policy so you have something to show the cc company in event of a chargeback.
catlady said:
This is great advice. When SS & I were doing a pkg this summer, I read her policy to them as I made the reservation, right on the phone. They agreed to the policies, I ticked the box saying they had been read.

Back