Turning Guests into Friends

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendydk

Reaction score
Isn't it amazing how close you can get to some guests? We have a six-time repeat couple here this weekend...haven't been here in three years, and we sat around last night over a glass of wine and caught up. He lost his job of 25 years, her cancer has come back, their 40 yr old son FINALLY got married! I brought her up to date on our family news, she exclaimed over the many changes we've made, and loves "their room" even more than she used to.
We had several laughs, mixed with more than a few tears....I love this business. Call it rose colored glasses or whatever...but there is NO other job like this one.......and I cannot imagine doing anything else.

It is amazing some of the people and relationships that this job brings into our lives. People who fill us up with all sorts of good things, if that makes sense. Gotta love it!

That is the BEST part of this business. We had guests in October, stayed for 1 night, kept in touch with us and invited us to their place. We had the privilege of spending a couple of days in their home in December. I miss them. There are several guests we have had that I miss when they are gone. Then there is the booking I received this morning. A business traveler who has been here twice in 6 weeks and his office admin called and booked 2 rooms for 6 days starting Sunday. Can't wait to see him again.

There are some that just make this job - not so much a job! Had a couple here a few weeks ago, their 2nd stay here, felt like we were seeing long lost friends. The invited us to join them for dinner which we did - not that this never happens with others, it is just that we really click with these folks. They live not to far from my home town and told us next time we 'go home' we better give them a call.
And just as read this post earlier, we welcomed some friends back that have been staying with us since 2001. We have watched their children grow, have checked on their elderly parents (which lived local) and cried right along side them when they passed away. I thought their visits would dwindle after the parents deaths but here they are and they decided to make it a family reunion, so all the brothers and sisters are also here this time. And they all came in saying they felt like they knew us already. It will be a wonderful extended weekend here.
This is the exact reason we wanted to be innkeepers. There are wonderful people in this world and through this business we are able to become friends with so many.

Tuesday we make a quickie trip to Parkersburg and had lunch at the OG. We were remembering meeting one of our guests and his lady there for lunch and wondered how they were doing. (She had driven up with him to go to a festival and she was planning to go back that night - he had reservations to stay. No rooms anywhere so we ended up setting up a cot in his room when she decided to stay over. He heard the other guests talking about the dinner and asked if they could get a dinner also. Thinking quickly, I said I could set them up on the porch for a cndlelight dinner. They are now married.)
Today I had an e-mail from her asking how we are doing! One lady in Maryland has sent me tea, brought DH some art books, and has brought me pirces of Pfaltzgraff to add to my set. She came first to visit her Dad (she and step-mom were not "close"), Dad died, step-mom goes into nursing home and she comes back to visit her (she is now responsible party for step-mom). Step-mom died and she has been back a couple times since. Her uncle is in the Football Hall of Fame and played for the team DH loves. Neat lady. And then there is the lady who was here Monday - her 5th visit in 18 months.

Last Thursday one of our regular guests (he's been staying with us two days a week since October) took my son and husband deep sea fishing for the day. We have made so many new friends from this business and we are so grateful for all of them. The wonderful ones more than make up for the PITA's.

Back