Turnkey Inns vs converting historic homes to B&B's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But given the people who have emailed or called re leasing this inn instead of buying, they don't even have enough for a down payment and think they can bargain. They think "I can't do anything else, I was laid off so I will run a B&B, that has got to be easy enough."
I would shut 'er down before I fell into that trap.
whattha.gif

But given the people who have emailed or called re leasing this inn instead of buying, they don't even have enough for a down payment and think they can bargain. They think "I can't do anything else, I was laid off so I will run a B&B, that has got to be easy enough."
whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
It's frightening how many people think they can get into this business without any money.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
It's frightening how many people think they can get into this business without any money.
Breakfast Diva said:
It's frightening how many people think they can get into this
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
That would be true with just about any small business. Altho I have heard of people who start off with next to nothing and grow their business. Lots of work and determination.

Don't get me started on this issue! just made online friends with a woman in my town doing bb
1- property has 4 double bedrooms with just 2 bathrooms so you have to share! both bathrooms are big and could have been easily cut into 2 shower rooms.
2- no parking even 1 space!!!! you have to park 7 mins walk away and pay $26 a day
3 - crap location you would never find it unless you knew it was there - as a local I had to look it up on google maps - therefore no possible chance of passing trade.
4- at least 10 BB's up for sale at fricking bargain prices why try and force it into the wrong place!!!!!????

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
That would be true with just about any small business. Altho I have heard of people who start off with next to nothing and grow their business. Lots of work and determination.
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
I disagree.
Open a restaurant you need to have money to do it successfully. Work and determination do not pay what is needed to convert a place, license and furnish and open it properly.
Why people think they can "put up guests" in susize's spare room and guests will love that is beyond me, and charge the same rate as other nearby inns with many more amenities. A homestay is a different subject, that is supposed to be homespun, vs professional.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
I disagree.
Open a restaurant you need to have money to do it successfully. Work and determination do not pay what is needed to convert a place, license and furnish and open it properly.
Why people think they can "put up guests" in susize's spare room and guests will love that is beyond me, and charge the same rate as other nearby inns with many more amenities. A homestay is a different subject, that is supposed to be homespun, vs professional.
Joey Bloggs said:
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
I disagree.
I wrote 'next to nothing', not 'nothing'. Some people are resourceful in how they go about doing things.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Of course you can build a business from nothing. I'm dating myself here but the guy who started Jordache jeans had $26 when he started out. So, if you don't have money what do you need? You've at least got to have the property or the ability to buy a property. And a vision. And the ability to live on nothing while you work toward that vision.
We've got an innkeeper on here who started out with a property and made a viable B&B. She bought her kids' clothes at Goodwill. She furnished the property close to the same way. She had family help with the work. She pounded the pavement getting the folks at the local college to know she was in business and to send business her way. She takes in students (at a lot less than B&B rates). So, yes, you can do whatever you set you mind to.
What you have to be sure of is the rest of your family. Will they stick it out with you or will they make your dream a nightmare? Will they up and leave you in the middle of the renovation? Will the kids expect you to be at every school event? Do you have a support system in place where you are moving to?
There are lots of people who start with nothing and come out way ahead of those who started with a lot. Just make sure your vision is clear and your ducks are lined up. Make sure your family is in it with you thick and thin. Make sure they understand that you are not available last minute for anything. We have 3 grandkids we had to wait over a month to see because they were born 'in season'. Can you make those sacrifices? Can your family?
If you have a support system and a vision you can do anything.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
I disagree.
Joey Bloggs said:
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
I disagree.
I wrote 'next to nothing', not 'nothing'. Some people are resourceful in how they go about doing things.
Olga, every person who has posted is honestly trying to help you. The negatives are just as important as the positives because the negatives are what will deep six you when you were not looking. We are trying to give you the facts - especially tyhe facts with kids. There is no way I could have done this with kids - DH is enough thank you very much! He has had 3 MAJOR medical episodes plus several other hospital visits since we opened - an my closest kid is 600 miles away. And I had revolving door guestswhile he did his fun & games (I am talking aoritic aneurysm, 6-wy bypass, and a femoral artery bypass - not hiccups). Daddy died here just after I opened so no guest interruption then but we had my b-i-l here for his last 8 months and worked around guests. And my examples are chump change to what some go through.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
I disagree.
Joey Bloggs said:
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
I disagree.
Olga, every person who has posted is honestly trying to help you. The negatives are just as important as the positives because the negatives are what will deep six you when you were not looking. We are trying to give you the facts - especially tyhe facts with kids. There is no way I could have done this with kids - DH is enough thank you very much! He has had 3 MAJOR medical episodes plus several other hospital visits since we opened - an my closest kid is 600 miles away. And I had revolving door guestswhile he did his fun & games (I am talking aoritic aneurysm, 6-wy bypass, and a femoral artery bypass - not hiccups). Daddy died here just after I opened so no guest interruption then but we had my b-i-l here for his last 8 months and worked around guests. And my examples are chump change to what some go through.
gillumhouse said:
Thank you, but this isn't really about me. I know my limits. I'm generalizing my comments and saying that some people are able to do amazing things when they set their minds to it. I think it's great.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
The harder I look at things and the more I try to tighten my budget the more things crop up in my mind. It is like your belt at the Thanksgiving table, you gotta let it expand for a while before you can tighten it down again.
One thing that I think is vital and has only been touched on, whether starting with nothing and doing the insane thing (like me) or taking on an existing and operating business the need for some sort of contingency fund is vital. More small businesses fail because something went wrong with this thing or that, and they didn't plan for the "what ifs". The bigger the project or older the house the larger the contingency fund should be. Three to six months (or more depending on the situation) of your monthly nut and at least 15% of the reno cost should be a minimum.
It doesn't matter if that contingency fund is in cash, gold coins under your mattress or a LOC, having it will often save you money in the end. Many reno projects (I can personally attest to this level of stupidity) get out of hand and over budget when trying to cut costs too much. Sometimes it is better to just do it right and spend a little more on the front end and a lot less on the back end, something that can't be done without a contingency fund.
Hope for the best and plan for the worst!
Edited to add:
When I say nothing I mean, not an existing business, no rez on the books.

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
The harder I look at things and the more I try to tighten my budget the more things crop up in my mind. It is like your belt at the Thanksgiving table, you gotta let it expand for a while before you can tighten it down again.
One thing that I think is vital and has only been touched on, whether starting with nothing and doing the insane thing (like me) or taking on an existing and operating business the need for some sort of contingency fund is vital. More small businesses fail because something went wrong with this thing or that, and they didn't plan for the "what ifs". The bigger the project or older the house the larger the contingency fund should be. Three to six months (or more depending on the situation) of your monthly nut and at least 15% of the reno cost should be a minimum.
It doesn't matter if that contingency fund is in cash, gold coins under your mattress or a LOC, having it will often save you money in the end. Many reno projects (I can personally attest to this level of stupidity) get out of hand and over budget when trying to cut costs too much. Sometimes it is better to just do it right and spend a little more on the front end and a lot less on the back end, something that can't be done without a contingency fund.
Hope for the best and plan for the worst!
Edited to add:
When I say nothing I mean, not an existing business, no rez on the books.
We were required by the bank we got our biz loan from to have $75k in the bank after all start up expenses had been met. We thought that was a lot of money. Oh how wrong we were. Things that can go wrong with an existing business: flood ($10k), furnace ($12k), roof ($25k), replacement of 3 appliances that either died or were shot. And that's just infrastructure. That doesn't even take into account linens, kitchen ware and things like that. Things that the PO's were supposedly using everyday. Nor does it take into account completely renovating the innkeeper space from a 70's time warp into something I'm not embarrassed to have my family see. (Not done yet.) Yes, it will be gorgeous when we're done and why are we doing it? Why are we wasting our money? Why not leave it for the next owner the way we found it?
By the time we are done I would imagine we will have spent close to $500k just keeping the property up to spec. We will never see that in real dollars. We only hope we see it in a quick sale for a good price. Given nothing has sold in this town for 3 years, we're not optimistic. However, that has pretty much been our lives in a nutshell. We are always a day late and a dollar short. We buy high and sell low. College tax credits came out the year our youngest graduated. We got married at the end of the year and got hit with tax penalties when we filed a joint return because we should have 'thought about the tax implications of getting married' according to the IRS lady. (We are expecting a little windfall here of $1000. My car just ate $500 of that in repairs. This is typical. Check isn't even here and it's spent.)
No wonder I'm grumpy all the time!

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
I disagree.
Joey Bloggs said:
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
business
without any money.
Yes, that's the truth!
I disagree.
gillumhouse said:
Thank you, but this isn't really about me. I know my limits. I'm generalizing my comments and saying that some people are able to do amazing things when they set their minds to it. I think it's great.
Another thing that gets my goat! is people who open and then start saying - oh what do you think we should do about advertising? HUHHH!!!!! When it looks like you have a firm date for finishing then you should be taking bookings (im not saying for that date necessarily but if you think you will be finished in June and you have people ringing up for november then that should be ok) you have to start building your books as soon as a realistic end is in sight.
The other alternative is to buy a turnkey and you have the books there all set and lets hope they are reasonable.
Its like another neighbour of mine just has 3 double bedrooms but they are fab - said to me the other day yes we really should get with internet booking!!! this is after 3 weekends empty!!!! you think? you have just realised you are 6 years behind everyone else?

whattha.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
whattha.gif
Not sure about now but there used to be a fair amount of books and seminars saying you could do just that. It is possible but not really a great idea for most people.
Edit: this was in response to the calls about getting in with no money down.

Much tougher to open a start-up B&B than to buy a great viable biz! While we renovated, we kept the bulk of our household belongings in the moving company boxes for almost 2 years. I had 2 nails in a tiny closet to hang some clothes on. The end result with our home is great and the memory of living through that is fading, but I would never do it again. There was no turnkey property for sale anywhere in the vicinity of where my husband's full-time job is which was absolutely my first choice.

I agree with the majority here that those of you whose dream is to run a B&B that turnkey saves lots of grief and in most cases is the sane way to proceed.
My case is rather unique because I got into innkeeping bass ackwards. It was my job to sell the house my parents had lived in for 50 years when they got too old to live there. This was 2005 when most people had a reasonable expectation that houses would eventually sell. It was on the market (priced lower than what the realtor recommended so I could get rid of it fast) for a year without the first nibble. I was despairing what to do with this 5 bedroom house and one day when I was driving past it on my way to work the idea just popped into my head that it would make a great B&B.
For example, the zoning ordinance in my town doesn't even define what a B&B is, health department was very difficult to work with, so obviously if I had done "all" my homework I would have run away from this project very fast.
Fortunately for me I found the Forum and my forum buddies steered me into lots of correct choices during that start up phase. Had I not converted the old house into a B&B I would have missed out on such a great adventure. This is saying a lot because as I explain to the guests who compliment my breakfasts that I was a non-cook before the B&B.
I love my commute, 97% of my guests are super nice people, I've learned how to cook (breakfasts, at least) and I've met lots of wonderful Innmates.
I am fortunate in so many ways. I was able to plow my retirement savings into the undertaking so there was not a mortgage. I've been able to pay my overhead expenses from earnings, but don't yet think I'd earn enough to make mortgage payments. I'm now in my fifth year, and this is the first year that I can say I might possibly have a month with 40% occupancy, and the first year that there have been times that I've had to turn away bookings cause I was already full up!
So I'm still getting the hang of things around here, not ready to contemplate selling, having too much fun... I already know nobody wants to buy this house anyway.

and I state my case:
Former rat-infested care home up for sale
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Rye and Battle Today[/COLOR]
Former rat-infested care home up for sale Rye and Battle Today James Emson, auctioneer, said: We have been instructed by the joint administrators of the property, which is considered ideal for reuse as a care home or a bed-and-breakfast or as one or two private residences, subject to consents.
Yeah IDEAL!

and I state my case:
Former rat-infested care home up for sale
[COLOR= rgb(119, 119, 119)]Rye and Battle Today[/COLOR]
Former rat-infested care home up for sale Rye and Battle Today James Emson, auctioneer, said: We have been instructed by the joint administrators of the property, which is considered ideal for reuse as a care home or a bed-and-breakfast or as one or two private residences, subject to consents.
Yeah IDEAL!.
I think when people say 'suitable for a B&B' in a situation like that they really mean some sort of group home.

I just think everyones situation (whatever it may be), is unique. What works for one, may not work for another.

I just think everyones situation (whatever it may be), is unique. What works for one, may not work for another..
Olga said:
I just think everyones situation (whatever it may be), is unique. What works for one, may not work for another.
Aboslutely.
I am just pointing out rat infested place "Hey this would make a great B&B!"
ANY HOUSE could be a B&B. Period, Full stop.

Back