TV Guides

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
We all know how important first impressions are. I want to share that one of my primary gripes about far too many hotels and inns is that they provide no TV guide to the local channels, or hide it in an information book somewhere so I have to go hunting for it.
When I arrive in my room, I've always been traveling and out of touch. While I'm unpacking and settling into my room, I like to put the news on the TV to fill me in on what's going on. I can't stand places where I can't easily learn what channels have my favorite programs. Ideally, I'd like the TV guide right by the TV.
Our local cable system posts the whole lineup at their website so it's easy to print out the current lineup (they keep changing it, so have to reprint occasionally, but that's not hard).

We have cards in the rooms. (With Dominos advertising on the back.) But, all it shows is 'local channels 2-20'. At least it narrows it down for the guest.
Still, even with it sitting right under the remote, I get buzzed because they can't find 'the game'.

I set my TVs to the Weather Channel, I will have to check about the channel guide. We have a differnt cable company than the rest of the area - newspaper guides are wrong as they are the programming for the other cable company.

I have to admit I have finally taken mine out of the equation (recently). Our channel line-ups kept changing, so I do set it to the TV guide for the cable company. The tv guides were usually taken to bed, and it kind of grossed me out. I had to throw them out as they would get all wrinkled up, and then be out of date.
I DID HAVE THEM! ROOLLY I DID!

We have guides from the cable company, but I recently noticed that the channel numbers don't match what my televisions show. What a pain! I'll have to make my own guides after sitting there all day & figuring them out.
I like the idea of putting the TV on the guide channel. Thanks!

Luckily, I have Tivo and it pops up a message every time a channel change occurs (Tivo knows ALL) so it's easy to go to the cable website and print out the new lineup. I also have a laminator so it's easy to make it durable and washable.

We have a little guide that we usually put under the remote or closeby that guests can use. But of course the channel lineup doesn't mean the same thing, since we don't have the same networks and shows aren't always on the same channels.
My problem is digital cable. I don't have a place for the cable box, since my TVs are all on the wall. And there is no way to hide the channels and only have the available channels appear. And they are slowly doing away with analog cable. The guests who are in the room with the digital cable can never seem to figure it out anyway.

All TV in the US is digital now, but there's nothing to figure out. It's all handled by the cable company before it even enters the house, so you just switch channels and watch as usual. What really makes it nice is to have a TV that accepts a cable card, so there's no cable box that has to be kept in sync with the TV (on at the same time, off at the same time). With the cable card, you just use the regular TV remote control, switch it on and flip the channels. And TVs modern enough to accept cable cards generally let you have it automatically skip channels that don't receive a local signal.
Life with the TV really IS getting better!

All TV in the US is digital now, but there's nothing to figure out. It's all handled by the cable company before it even enters the house, so you just switch channels and watch as usual. What really makes it nice is to have a TV that accepts a cable card, so there's no cable box that has to be kept in sync with the TV (on at the same time, off at the same time). With the cable card, you just use the regular TV remote control, switch it on and flip the channels. And TVs modern enough to accept cable cards generally let you have it automatically skip channels that don't receive a local signal.
Life with the TV really IS getting better!.
None of the companies offer that, here. It all needs a box. And guests can't figure them out.

I had them in every room on/near the TV in a plastic cover that could be wiped clean. Updated when our cable company would change the channel lineup. ugh. I always left the TVs on in the room for check-in tuned to the guide channel.

Life with the TV really IS getting better!.
My old TVs (big back butt types) had to have the converter box. The flat screens do not need the cable box - however, when one punches the remote with 33 for the weather channel, one must click the channel arrow up to go to 33.1. It is the same for all the channels not local. Grr.Since they wanted $16 per month per tv for HD, you guess what my response was. Hell will freeze first.

Do you know what....that's a good idea. I'm going to print the list of now and put it with the remote in the rooms. Thank you.
ps: Just gone to do it and discovered that Freeview (which is the digital TV service in our guest rooms) has a channel guide on their website in PDF format all ready to download and print. Fabby.

Do you know what....that's a good idea. I'm going to print the list of now and put it with the remote in the rooms. Thank you.
ps: Just gone to do it and discovered that Freeview (which is the digital TV service in our guest rooms) has a channel guide on their website in PDF format all ready to download and print. Fabby..
Highlands John said:
ps: Just gone to do it and discovered that Freeview (which is the digital TV service in our guest rooms) has a channel guide on their website in PDF format all ready to download and print. Fabby.
HJ I just served your countryman store bought marmalade, and I made a huge apology to him, and told him that you make your own to serve your guests and that I was a slacker, and told him where you are located.
shades_smile.gif

ps: Just gone to do it and discovered that Freeview (which is the digital TV service in our guest rooms) has a channel guide on their website in PDF format all ready to download and print. Fabby..
Highlands John said:
HJ I just served your countryman store bought marmalade, and I made a huge apology to him, and told him that you make your own to serve your guests and that I was a slacker, and told him where you are located.
shades_smile.gif

Thank you.
All ready run out of orange marmalade, so need to make some lemon / lime this afternoon.

I just don't like the on-screen TV guides that show a few channels per screen. Takes forever to scan through them all, and I don't want to have to go through that every time I want to change the channel. And later I can't remember which channel brings up the guide! If you only have a dozen channels, flipping through them is no problem. If you have over 20 channels, though, thoughtful inns will give me a guide on paper, right there in black and ink!
(Black and ink is an Arkansas expression familiar from the old Lum 'n' Abner radio show, set here in fictional Pine Ridge, Arkansas.)

I just don't like the on-screen TV guides that show a few channels per screen. Takes forever to scan through them all, and I don't want to have to go through that every time I want to change the channel. And later I can't remember which channel brings up the guide! If you only have a dozen channels, flipping through them is no problem. If you have over 20 channels, though, thoughtful inns will give me a guide on paper, right there in black and ink!
(Black and ink is an Arkansas expression familiar from the old Lum 'n' Abner radio show, set here in fictional Pine Ridge, Arkansas.).
Arkansawyer said:
(Black and ink is an Arkansas expression familiar from the old Lum 'n' Abner radio show, set here in fictional Pine Ridge, Arkansas.)
But we already know guests do not read! So many here have wonderful books in the rooms with so much information - this would just be one more piece of ignored information that would drive the innkeeper up the wall when they ask - What channel is ESPN?

Highlands John said:
Went to clean the rooms this morning and the first room I went into has the brand new TV Guide I printed yesterday on the bedside, so they've obviously used it (HURRAH) ........................as a coaster, there's a big stain on the front...............B*****ds!!!

Highlands John said:
Went to clean the rooms this morning and the first room I went into has the brand new TV Guide I printed yesterday on the bedside, so they've obviously used it (HURRAH) ........................as a coaster, there's a big stain on the front...............B*****ds!!!
We find this a lot. No one uses the coasters provided but they do use every other scrap of paper in the room (which is then stuck to the nightstand.)

Highlands John said:
Highlands John said:
Highlands John said:
I put them in plastic sleeves. They still take them to bed, and it grosses me out. Coasters, food, whatever.

Highlands John said:
Lamination. It prevents suicide.

Back