TV use

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbi

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new here - renovating an old house into a B&B in New Zealand.
We're thinking of adding TV's to each guest room - what are your experiences with TV use by guests? Do they expect cable TV, or do they want to hook up their own laptop?
If they hook up their own laptops, do you provide (converter)plugs/cables for that? And will they sap the WiFi of the whole house by viewing streamed content?
Thanks for your views!
Melbi

I have cable Basic Plus (no premium channels other than to sports in my package) because without it, the Sports channels are not there. Here, no TV for the big game is a deal breaker. THEY have the option to turn it on or not. I set it to the weather channel, quite often when they leave, it is on a different channel.

We are a tiny 8 room motel so for us having TV in the rooms is expected, on the other hand when I spent a few days at a B&B on holiday a few years back they didn't have a TV on the property. I had my laptop (their internet connection), but used it mostly to see and send a few emails as my goals were to relax and enjoy my visit.

We have internet-ready flat screen TVs in most rooms. We subscribe to an online movie service, but not to any form of cable. We do not receive off-air signals in our area. We are upfront about video availability and internet speeds in our room descriptions.

We have TV's in every room that just have basic cable. Guests range from not caring to being mad that we don't have their favorite obscure cable/satellite channel. I just explain how expensive cable is in a small town where the cable company has a monopoly.
Most are happy to have a television so they can watch the news or their favorite network program. Some just like the noise when they are getting ready in the morning.
Our new cottages have Smart TV's with Ethernet cables directly wired to the router. This helps with speed. We have a 20 Mbps download and we never have an issue. The fiber optic line helps with stability. I wouldn't try to provide Wifi for an 8 room BnB and 2 cottages with anything but a fiber optic line at any speed.
But WiFi is an absolute must.

TV with Roku. We have an IPTV service via the Roku as well as Netflix. Some people from some countries have trouble using TV decoders, so we do everything via the Roku, which has very limited controls. And they can cast via the Roku, though I doubt anyone ever has.

Flat-screen TVs in each room, with basic (120-channel) cable. We're one of the few inns in the area with TVs in the rooms. (Heck, the place next-door doesn't even have AC)
Used to have HBO/Showtime, but deleted 2 years ago with no ill effects.
DVD player in each room with a 500+ movie library available.
Having TVs in rooms means I have to entertain guests much less at night.

A few years ago I spent a week alone in an Italian village. My apartment had a TV, but only channels in Italian, and no wifi. I had the TV on constantly, for company, though I couldn't understand a word they said. Single travelers appreciate a TV in the room.

We have just opened up all of our rooms/cottages (11) and I installed some 49" smart TVs in the larger ones that can accommodate families and they have told me they LOVE IT! They spend all day out adventuring and come home to watch their netflix or hulu. We also offer 200+ channels of digital cable with HBO. Most of the other rooms have 32" - 42" TVs (non smart). I agree with Arks, single travelers especially like it, but we're seeing all using them.
I also installed a WIFI mesh network across the property that is getting everyone 50mbs at 5ghz. All are happy with it. I use it for my Hue Lighting system for property lights and control them with my iPhone and have them set on timers. For instance, our property lights are green and gold this weekend for St. Paddy's Day!

We have TVs in every room with cable & Netfix through Roku. We are in the US.

Alot depends on what type of guest you are wanting to attract. If you are going to promote a quiet, romantic getaway, you may not need TV.

If you are located in a very touristy area where you will mainly serve as a place of rest, TV may not be a high priority amenity.

But if you will have the guest that will be both in and out during the day, or a more of a business guest set up, TV is usually an important amenity to have.

You could start off with TV in some of your rooms and none in others. Watching the booking trend for a while may lead you to know if you will need to expand it or not.

I would defiantly say WiFi is very important in today's world. Get the best & fastest you can get as guests will want to connect with all their devices.

We have just opened up all of our rooms/cottages (11) and I installed some 49" smart TVs in the larger ones that can accommodate families and they have told me they LOVE IT! They spend all day out adventuring and come home to watch their netflix or hulu. We also offer 200+ channels of digital cable with HBO. Most of the other rooms have 32" - 42" TVs (non smart). I agree with Arks, single travelers especially like it, but we're seeing all using them.
I also installed a WIFI mesh network across the property that is getting everyone 50mbs at 5ghz. All are happy with it. I use it for my Hue Lighting system for property lights and control them with my iPhone and have them set on timers. For instance, our property lights are green and gold this weekend for St. Paddy's Day!.
flyingace71 said:
I also installed a WIFI mesh network across the property that is getting everyone 50mbs at 5ghz. All are happy with it.
Would love to learn more about this. We have a single exterior high-power long-range wireless access point in an attempt to reach across our grounds to the various cottages, but we're always getting complaints. I don't even know what kind of firm to look for to help us design and build a better system...

I also installed a WIFI mesh network across the property that is getting everyone 50mbs at 5ghz. All are happy with it. I use it for my Hue Lighting system for property lights and control them with my iPhone and have them set on timers. For instance, our property lights are green and gold this weekend for St. Paddy's Day!.
flyingace71 said:
I also installed a WIFI mesh network across the property that is getting everyone 50mbs at 5ghz. All are happy with it.
Would love to learn more about this. We have a single exterior high-power long-range wireless access point in an attempt to reach across our grounds to the various cottages, but we're always getting complaints. I don't even know what kind of firm to look for to help us design and build a better system...
OnTheShore said:
flyingace71 said:
We tried calling around all over and couldn't find someone that 1. didn't want to charge us a fortune and 2. knew what they were talking about! So I decided on a mesh wifi network system. We have 7 (concrete block and stucco construction) cottages and 4 motel rooms in a separate building spread over 4 blocks (1 acre).
I purchased the Netgear Orbi system with one router and 3 satellites. It is a difficult system to set up and get to working but once it was and I was able to place satellites in the right spots, we are now covering all rooms with 5ghz, 50gb/s wifi. Everyone is happy. I'm adding a few more satellites and one outdoor antenna in the future. initial cost was $369 on sale at Best Buy.
Good luck, I hope this info helps!

flyingace71 said:
OnTheShore said:
We have a single exterior high-power long-range wireless access point in an attempt to reach across our grounds to the various cottages, but we're always getting complaints. I don't even know what kind of firm to look for to help us design and build a better system...
Sent you a message on our system.

flyingace71 said:
OnTheShore said:
We have a single exterior high-power long-range wireless access point in an attempt to reach across our grounds to the various cottages, but we're always getting complaints. I don't even know what kind of firm to look for to help us design and build a better system...
where do I find messages here?

flyingace71 said:
OnTheShore said:
flyingace71 said:
  1. On a post by the person you want to email, select their username in the upper left corner of the post. It's a hyperlink.
  2. On the page that comes up, select the Contact tab.
  3. Give your message a subject and enter your message, then select the Send e-mail button at the bottom.

flyingace71 said:
OnTheShore said:
flyingace71 said:
  1. On a post by the person you want to email, select their username in the upper left corner of the post. It's a hyperlink.
  2. On the page that comes up, select the Contact tab.
  3. Give your message a subject and enter your message, then select the Send e-mail button at the bottom.
Thanks Arks!

We are a property in the Northern US in a recreation town. People come here to "do stuff" not necessarily sit in their rooms.
With that, we have at least 1 TV in every room (some have 2 as some of our rooms have 2 bedrooms) and we have a simple 15 channel satellite TV package with the basics. We also have 1 public TV in our main lounge that usually runs the weather channel and includes a roku, and 1 bar TV that we has a full package with Sports and Movie channels. We find the 15 channels in the rooms is usually enough. Some don't even turn on the TV during their stay. Some just use it as noise at night. Every now and then we get a sports nut and we just recommend checking out our bar area. We would love to upgrade all rooms to include a Roku (since most people have their own accounts for those apps anyway), but our internet service will not support all the streaming. Maybe someday!

We have TVs in every room with cable & Netfix through Roku. We are in the US.

Alot depends on what type of guest you are wanting to attract. If you are going to promote a quiet, romantic getaway, you may not need TV.

If you are located in a very touristy area where you will mainly serve as a place of rest, TV may not be a high priority amenity.

But if you will have the guest that will be both in and out during the day, or a more of a business guest set up, TV is usually an important amenity to have.

You could start off with TV in some of your rooms and none in others. Watching the booking trend for a while may lead you to know if you will need to expand it or not.

I would defiantly say WiFi is very important in today's world. Get the best & fastest you can get as guests will want to connect with all their devices..
Agreed. We offer WIFI, but only have one TV in a commons area. We are 10 min from over 100 miles of beaches, hiking, boating, 28+ wineries/micro-breweries/distilleries, great artisan restaurants and lots of live local music to choose from. Only a few guests have ever turned on the TV. Our guests come to enjoy the local offerings!

Incidentally, you will make your life easier if you get some outlets like this... they don't have to be in the wall, you can get desktop versions or power bars. I have a unit like this in every room (with just one level... 3 power outlets and two usb ports) They work with almost every plug in the world, so you don't have to worry about having adapters around, when they tell you that they forgot theirs.

Label them (get a label maker, it will be VERY handy) with your current, so 240V at 50hz and "Universal outlet, no adapter needed".
ht1ihr7fmxxxxagofbxq.jpg

Incidentally, you will make your life easier if you get some outlets like this... they don't have to be in the wall, you can get desktop versions or power bars. I have a unit like this in every room (with just one level... 3 power outlets and two usb ports) They work with almost every plug in the world, so you don't have to worry about having adapters around, when they tell you that they forgot theirs.

Label them (get a label maker, it will be VERY handy) with your current, so 240V at 50hz and "Universal outlet, no adapter needed".
ht1ihr7fmxxxxagofbxq.jpg
Best thing we ever did. Guests love our bedside outlets with USB chargers in them.

Back