TV use

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have TVs in every room with cable & Netfix through Roku. We are in the US.

Alot depends on what type of guest you are wanting to attract. If you are going to promote a quiet, romantic getaway, you may not need TV.

If you are located in a very touristy area where you will mainly serve as a place of rest, TV may not be a high priority amenity.

But if you will have the guest that will be both in and out during the day, or a more of a business guest set up, TV is usually an important amenity to have.

You could start off with TV in some of your rooms and none in others. Watching the booking trend for a while may lead you to know if you will need to expand it or not.

I would defiantly say WiFi is very important in today's world. Get the best & fastest you can get as guests will want to connect with all their devices..
Agreed. We offer WIFI, but only have one TV in a commons area. We are 10 min from over 100 miles of beaches, hiking, boating, 28+ wineries/micro-breweries/distilleries, great artisan restaurants and lots of live local music to choose from. Only a few guests have ever turned on the TV. Our guests come to enjoy the local offerings!
Same here, only big TV is in guest lounge with fridge, micro wave, etc. 10 years and only a handful of complaints. We cabled all rooms, but decided not to install sets. No TV in rooms keeps place way quiet and avoids me knocking on door at 11 pm to tell the guy with poor hearing to turn down the set.

melbi said:
Hi all,
I'm new here - renovating an old house into a B&B in New Zealand.
We're thinking of adding TV's to each guest room - what are your experiences with TV use by guests? Do they expect cable TV, or do they want to hook up their own laptop?
If they hook up their own laptops, do you provide (converter)plugs/cables for that? And will they sap the WiFi of the whole house by viewing streamed content?
Thanks for your views!
Melbi
This is really a great idea to have TV in the guest room, its quite useful in order to make them entertaining. Usually TV require remote,. cable, connection and all the other stuff.

I don't have any idea about this but having a tv in the guest room is kind of a cool idea and very useful too. They should not have any problem with any type of the tv but still you can take suggestions for what is more comfortable

I do not have tv's in my guest rooms. A) another issue when guest cannot operate, B) cost, C) noise.
Everyone carries their devices with them so if they want to watch a program they can do that on those. I have not have anyone complain about not having tv. Internet is all they really want.
I am not a big tv watcher myself so maybe I do not look at this the same but I have the nature channel out my windows all day long. I am in the mountains with views all around. I feel guest came to see that over any show.

Back