TV's for Business Travelers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
I know the topic of TV's has been discussed before, but speaking strictly about Business Travelers, do they require a TV in their room?

Depends.
Some of them come in, tired, late, go straight to bed. Or work on their presentation. Others have more free time, and gotta see [insert favorite show here] or else!
I wouldn't say it's mandatory, but it's nice. We put in wall-mounted flat screens and they're great.
=)
Kk.

YES! YES! YES! Every one, every time.
weather channel, news esp.
Spoeaking of that I am worried about our innkeepers in LA and GA with this big storm/tornadic activity!

Has anyone had any problems having TV's in a B & B such as noise from one rooms TV to another room?

Has anyone had any problems having TV's in a B & B such as noise from one rooms TV to another room?.
oceans said:
Has anyone had any problems having TV's in a B & B such as noise from one rooms TV to another room?
I wish there was a tv once when there was "noise" from one room to another.
What about people talking super loud and pacing around on conference calls? Noise is not an issue. We have a note on the check in list about quiet time after 10pm. When I clean the rooms I turn the station to the tv guide or weather channel and two rooms today had it on so quiet I thought it was muted. So people who stay in B&B's are not your average hotel crowd, they are typically respectful.

Has anyone had any problems having TV's in a B & B such as noise from one rooms TV to another room?.
We have had no complaints. For some reason the new ones that DH bought at Best Buy don't go up very loud, though.
Riki

Yes yes yes!
I think most men want TV. We also have DVD players and movies. People IMHO want tv.
We find that our people even love that we now have a guest computer in the common room. I know buisness people bring their own but others like to check their e-mail, movie times, weather, and so on.

Yes yes yes!
I think most men want TV. We also have DVD players and movies. People IMHO want tv.
We find that our people even love that we now have a guest computer in the common room. I know buisness people bring their own but others like to check their e-mail, movie times, weather, and so on..
This is a common and beneficial amenity for many locations and inns, but there are a substantial number on properties that build NOT having a TV into their amenities, ourselves included. Unlike wireless internet and a computer for guests to use, which are essential two-way communication for many, the TV can be treated as optional. Most of our guests are very happy not to see a TV when they open up the antique armoire.

Yes yes yes!
We find that our people even love that we now have a guest computer in the common room. I know buisness people bring their own but others like to check their e-mail, movie times, weather, and so on..
This is a common and beneficial amenity for many locations and inns, but there are a substantial number on properties that build NOT having a TV into their amenities, ourselves included. Unlike wireless internet and a computer for guests to use, which are essential two-way communication for many, the TV can be treated as optional. Most of our guests are very happy not to see a TV when they open up the antique armoire.
knkbnb said:
Okay let's underline that with a big "BUT YOU ARE IN PARADISE!" ha ha Not the backwoods of the Blue Ridge. People there wear flowers around their neck and hair = here they have chewing tobacco in their pockets.
regular_smile.gif
(insert smiley missing teeth)

Yes yes yes!
knkbnb said:
Okay let's underline that with a big "BUT YOU ARE IN PARADISE!" ha ha Not the backwoods of the Blue Ridge. People there wear flowers around their neck and hair = here they have chewing tobacco in their pockets.
regular_smile.gif
(insert smiley missing teeth)
duly noted
shades_smile.gif

Tough one because I don't know how many have skipped my place because I don't offer TV's in the rooms. However, for the biz guests who have stayed it has not been a requirement. They have not commented on the lack of TV's and they have returned.
Most of them just use their laptops for news and weather.

We do not have TV's in their rooms, although we have a rec-room with a TV, VCR and such and have a TV in the living room, we have wi-fy and a community computer. I don't have many business guests as I am not in the country and not too close to anything business although we do have the house booked in September for a group of business people.
I also don't get many complaints because we don't have a TV in every room.

I think in this day and age TV should be available in all rooms. People don't generally turn them up too loud and small ones really don't go that loud anyway. People have the option to not watch them but I really think they should be in rooms now.

We do not have TV's in their rooms, although we have a rec-room with a TV, VCR and such and have a TV in the living room, we have wi-fy and a community computer. I don't have many business guests as I am not in the country and not too close to anything business although we do have the house booked in September for a group of business people.
I also don't get many complaints because we don't have a TV in every room..
birdwatcher said:
I also don't get many complaints because we don't have a TV in every room.
Because they go to a hotel. I wouldn't complain, I would never come back.
Why does every hotel room have a tv people? Come on.

TV for business people. They like to choose news and weather. I only have smaller ones.

TV for business people. They like to choose news and weather. I only have smaller ones..
1linda said:
TV for business people. They like to choose news and weather. I only have smaller ones.
Good comment. In this day and age if you are trying to attract a certain demographic then have higher tech tv's - ie HDTV large wide screens etc.
As long as they we can see them we are okay. We stayed at a B&B in PA the teensy tv was on a ceiling mount across the room and we couldn't make out the weather channel even standing right in front of it, let alone watch something from bed - we needed it as we were headed to NYC in December. So at least let people be able to read the ticker on the news or weather channel.

So, this weekend we had six different couples/families staying. I asked all of them their preference on TV's in the bedroom. One couple said No, No, Never. The husband often travels on business and does not watch TV, ever. They didn't even like the fact that I have a sitting room with a TV for guests. The other couples had no preference. Only one of the men, an older gentlemen, watched TV for about one hour, and one family that had a teenage son watched for a few minutes before heading out to dinner. So, the dilema continues...Do you think that computers will soon be able to show live TV and therefore putting them in the bedrooms will become a moot point anyway?

So, this weekend we had six different couples/families staying. I asked all of them their preference on TV's in the bedroom. One couple said No, No, Never. The husband often travels on business and does not watch TV, ever. They didn't even like the fact that I have a sitting room with a TV for guests. The other couples had no preference. Only one of the men, an older gentlemen, watched TV for about one hour, and one family that had a teenage son watched for a few minutes before heading out to dinner. So, the dilema continues...Do you think that computers will soon be able to show live TV and therefore putting them in the bedrooms will become a moot point anyway?.
Country Girl said:
They didn't even like the fact that I have a sitting room with a TV for guests. The other couples had no preference. Only one of the men, an older gentlemen, watched TV for about one hour, and one family that had a teenage son watched for a few minutes before heading out to dinner.
I am 100% against tv's in common areas. Unless it is set up like a sports bar with flat screen tv's and a billiard table...then bring it on!
See you can't win on this forum...ha ha

It makes no sense to me, this whole discussion. It really flabbergasts me, really. TV's were invented, when? In the 1940's or something. If they want to TURN THE UNIT on they can, if they DON'T WANT TO then they have control over it.
I think this is really a discussion on cost. When I asked DH about it he was shocked that this was even a discussion on this forum (except for the innkeeper in Paradise - he agreed fresh orchids and rain showers = no tv's). He was the one who said "Why does EVERY hotel room have a TV?" Of course business guests want TV's.
Just like shared bathrooms, this is a reality. Sheesh those who fought wifi finally joined the club because they were forced to. You have NO idea how much business you LOSE if you do not offer a TV. It is a cost of doing business.

Back