Twist of Fate - Tour of Homes for Charity

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Last night we rented the movie starring Robert Downey Jr and Jamie Foxx called The Soloist. I fell asleep pondering it. A great movie that makes you think.
Something came to me as I was asleep and it was this "You have already won the lottery" and I think I was smiling as I thought about all I have been given in this life. Being rich is counting all the things money can't buy.
Then I saw this tour of homes article at our nearby lake. There is a great divide in this area with second or summer homes at the lake like the one featured at 8000 sq feet and meanwhile there are folks who live with dirt floors and no indoor plumbing in this county.
But hey, nice of the couple to "open" their home for the tour...I am sure it is all about charity, right?
confused_smile.gif

[FONT= 'Trebuchet MS'][h1]Twist of Fate[/FONT][/h1]Construction began in November 2007 and was completed just eight and a half months later. The 8,000-plus-square-foot French Country-style home, which also features a view of Christmas Tree Island, was a collaboration of ideas from the Jasinskis and Joyce.
The 2009 Smith Mountain Lake Charity Home Tour will take place Oct. 2-3 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The eight homes on tour may be visited by boat or car. Tickets are $25 and will be available in mid-August at the SML Visitor Center at Bridgewater Plaza, other local outlets and online at smlcharityhometour.com.

Yes, we have already won the lottery. We have kids who are healthy and intelligent. Those who have kids with special needs (of whatever kind) have usually found blessings of a different variety than the rest of us.
We have lovely homes and have the priviledge of meeting people from all walks of life from all over the world (how many people get to do that?) - and get paid for it! We are still free to go anywhere we wish and say almost anything we want (almost since Fire in a crowded place is a no-no unless it is the real thing), to shop where we want and can get whatever we want (yeah, even the illegal if you know where to go). Now if that isn't winning the lottery, what is?
Money will not buy health, happiness, a sound mind, intelligence, or most important - the love of the people who count.

Just this past Saturday, we opened the B&B for a home tour put on by the local Women's Club. They use the proceeds to provide access to the county's only swimming pool for kids who can't afford the fees. We had about 50 people through the place, at $8 pp. Out here, every bit helps.
KathleenM

Just this past Saturday, we opened the B&B for a home tour put on by the local Women's Club. They use the proceeds to provide access to the county's only swimming pool for kids who can't afford the fees. We had about 50 people through the place, at $8 pp. Out here, every bit helps.
KathleenM.
That is great! I have done $1 tour/Open House for the Lord's Pantry Food Bank a few times. It is wonderful that you could get $8 per!!!

We were just one of the homes on the tour. The Women's Club organized it and set the price. They also had a volunteer at each stop to collect the $ and keep the visitors to allowed places in the homes. Because we had guests I stayed too. I enjoyed the questions about how we joined two houses into one.
KathleenM

We will be on a Christmas Tour this year, along with at least 6 other homes in our historic area. Tickets are about $25 each and all the proceeds benefit the house that we are renovating in a partnership with our historic foundation. To get ready for the tour, I'll have to block out the rooms for a couple of days beforehand. It's a pretty elaborate thing. We are glad to do it as it benefits a project that I'm deeply committed to and spent a lot of time on already. There are some great homes on the tour, some smaller and some larger than ours. We were on another tour before we had totally completed our renovations, so this will be great!

Back