Twitter vs Facebook

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is free marketing and a decent backlink so for that alone it is probalby worth doing. But I agree that spending tons of time on it probably has a diminishing return.
I also don't follow my local on plumber on facebook or twitter but maybe I should. A bigger following raises the PR of your page.

So a couple of businesses have had a great initial idea, whipped up a storm and got a great deal of publicity about it. Good for them, but it's been done and it's over.
A few years ago someone put the contents of their vacuum cleaner up for auction on EBay, it made the national news and they got loads of bids on it. Try that again and see what happens.
I have 44 friends on FB and many of them I have "hiden" because most of their daily prattling are of no interest or relevance to me. I really have no interest of having the owners of B&Bs/Inns on my FB friends and reading their daily contributions (even less on Twitter). It's just not relevant, even if I where looking for a place to stay.
We have a well known celebrity over here called Stephen Fry, he's witty and intelligent and I greatly enjoy his work. He is a great exponent of Twitter so I added him, most of his postings were just irrelevant to me and after a few weeks I removed him again.
It seems to me that here the only people promoting social networking as a marketing tool are those who sell their expertise in social networking to other businesses..
I agree completely. Our web site design folks want to set us up with FB and twitter in addition to the blog. I just don't see the point. Glad I'm not alone. It seems to me a great deal of inane self centered babble.
By the way, love Stephen Fry.

You know, by the time you read an post to this thread you can have an FB account, a page for your inn, and a twitter account.
This is zero cost, except for a minor amount of time.
I have a page for our inn that I update now and then, AND a Facebook app that automatically posts my FB updates to my twitter account. So one post goes to both sites.
My cost. a few minutes. And since my grandkids (not local) are FB users, I get to see the details of their lives as they post about this and that.
One booking, or EVEN one click to my site, I am money ahead. Compute the cost per click of those pricey directory links, or worse yet, Adwords for something like "hotel" Oops, drifting oiff topic.
Could I spend hours on it, have all kinds of dashboard apps, etc etc? heck yes, and if i start seeing lots of info in Google Analytics that shows referrals from these sites you bet I will spend more time. BTW, if all of your pages and links are not wired in Analytics then fire your webmaster.
The downside is only that you need to keep your content reasonable fresh - if you post about your rates changing to winter rates, don;t forget to post about your holiday specials. That just takes a reminder in your calendering program.
Richard
-----------
Free opinions like the above are worth what you pay for them.

If you need a website design person to set you up then I would say don't bother, you don't get it and won't use it and CORRECT it would be meaningless for you.
It obv works for plenty of other people, like the millions who use it, or perhaps they might actually enjoy it. Some people embrace technology and what we have 'today.'
Take this forum for example, it drives some people batty, for some it is a very useful resource, then for others it is 50/50 or 20/80... Don't throw the baby out with the bath water because it is technology you don't understand. I am actually thankful when people share new ideas here...I thrive on that, and appreciate them taking the time to investigate or post information that benefits all of us.
For rest, go back to your index cards. Tell us another time how online reservations don't work and I will say "Rubbish!"

If you need a website design person to set you up then I would say don't bother, you don't get it and won't use it and CORRECT it would be meaningless for you.
It obv works for plenty of other people, like the millions who use it, or perhaps they might actually enjoy it. Some people embrace technology and what we have 'today.'
Take this forum for example, it drives some people batty, for some it is a very useful resource, then for others it is 50/50 or 20/80... Don't throw the baby out with the bath water because it is technology you don't understand. I am actually thankful when people share new ideas here...I thrive on that, and appreciate them taking the time to investigate or post information that benefits all of us.
For rest, go back to your index cards. Tell us another time how online reservations don't work and I will say "Rubbish!".
Seeing as how I am the only one mentioning website designer, I assume this is directed at my comment. I was pointing out, in reference to HJ's comment about marketing, that they want to CHARGE me for what can be done for FREE. They also wanted to CHARGE me to set up a blogger blog, which I have already done on my own. Personally, I learn by doing.
I do intend to give FB and twitter a good honest try; FREE is GOOD. I thing FB could be very useful--twitter--- you are right I don't get it; but I will still give it a try. I LIKE technology, just needs to suit the problem at hand.
By the way I still have our Kay-Pro computer-- the first portable computer sold....cutting edge in the early 80's. DOS anyone remember DOS?

Back