Twitter vs Facebook

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Read this, included with the PAII email newsletter, decided to log onto Twitter to see what's up. What's up is that, once again, Twitter is over capacity. It might be fun to tweet every now and then, but the dang thing has to cooperate!

Now that I'm thinking about this, with Twitter being basically a 'conversation' that happens all day, how DOES anyone keep up? Do you stay logged in all day? Only respond back to tweets directly related to you?
And, the biggie...do your guests really follow you or are most of your followers other innkeepers or folks 'in the biz'?
Is this the model for a B&B or is it better suited to a hotel that might rack up thousands of followers?

Probably zero guests follow me on twitter. I am ONLY there for the links, only there for the information, as I find those I follow are also. I don't follow anyone who posts mostly personal comments. Not wasting my time on those.
Most of my followers have nothing to do with innkeeping, and in fact I tend to not follow many innkeepers or biz related tweeters either. I just followed one from this forum today, and if it is mostly specials at the inn, I will unfollow.
I believe Twitter and FB swapped places.
FB is run-on rubbish from people's lives...throwing snowballs, complaining about tests and music groups and news items...sorry, but can't handle it. Twitter (the way I use it) is constant information - breaking news, shows, drives, tourism, information. I don't follow anyone political except The Dalai Llama. But HHDL tweets are mostly in the wee hours with the time diff, so I rarely see them. Oh and the inspirational sayings/bloggers from two sources. Also some news sources in Australia and Ireland.
Twitter are bytes of info easy to process easy to click or not to click. I leave it on in another window. I also get updates from NUTSHELLMAIL of who is following or quitting and comments directly to me or retweets. I can make sure I don't get any nu dies on there that way.

Dilbert was apropos today. "Marketing through social media is like herding cats, and just to make it interesting, many of the cats are drunk and stupid."

I have a Facebook account for me personally and one for an organization (I haven't really worked on it). I took down my business Twitter account shortly after opening it because I was tired of policing it. I think if you use Twitter like JB does, it might be OK. I still see Twitter as the instantaneous notification of inane minutiae.
I'm finding that more and more organizations and businesses here locally are getting on the FB wagon and I get good info from that. If I "like" something on FB and I'm deluged with stuff that I'm really not interested in, I just hide it in my news feed. You can also customize your notifications so that you're not getting junk all the time in your email.
I have Facebook mobile on my smartphone.

I used facebook to show guest pictures of the place before the new site was done. I now refer to it when talking to a guest about something and I happen to have a picture on Facebook. I like facebook although I feel like I am talking to myself sometimes.

I am in the *younger* generation, as innkeepers go, and I cannot figure out Twitter to save my life! I can't even read the posts let alone follow a conversation. I just don't get it, have tried several times.
FB, we have about 120 fans and I use it to post seasonal photos, newsbreaking things, etc.

I worked in IT for 20+ years before starting the B&B, so I'm pretty computer literate, however despite all the fluffy and bluster about social networking, Twitter and Facebook I've yet to see any marketing benefit from this, outside of having an add on Facebook (and I've no experience as to whether this works or not in our business).

I worked in IT for 20+ years before starting the B&B, so I'm pretty computer literate, however despite all the fluffy and bluster about social networking, Twitter and Facebook I've yet to see any marketing benefit from this, outside of having an add on Facebook (and I've no experience as to whether this works or not in our business)..
Highlands John said:
I worked in IT for 20+ years before starting the B&B, so I'm pretty computer literate, however despite all the fluffy and bluster about social networking, Twitter and Facebook I've yet to see any marketing benefit from this, outside of having an add on Facebook (and I've no experience as to whether this works or not in our business).
Ahhh! I will disagree with you on this point. It is all part of marketing your inn. I.T. aside, I.T. has many different categories. It takes our time, but it is at no addtl cost to us. The inn in Vermont who was featured on the Jumping Rocks video - take a look at them you will be astonished at their social media "campaign" and reaping the benefits. I would say they are a prime example of how social media helps market a B&B.

I worked in IT for 20+ years before starting the B&B, so I'm pretty computer literate, however despite all the fluffy and bluster about social networking, Twitter and Facebook I've yet to see any marketing benefit from this, outside of having an add on Facebook (and I've no experience as to whether this works or not in our business)..
Highlands John said:
Ahhh! I will disagree with you on this point. It is all part of marketing your inn. I.T. aside, I.T. has many different categories. It takes our time, but it is at no addtl cost to us. The inn in Vermont who was featured on the Jumping Rocks video - take a look at them you will be astonished at their social media "campaign" and reaping the benefits. I would say they are a prime example of how social media helps market a B&B.
I totally agree with you...BUT still maintain that that particular B&B is so very popular for one reason...THEIR BAR!!!!!!! I want to go there badly!

Highlands John said:
I totally agree with you...BUT still maintain that that particular B&B is so very popular for one reason...THEIR BAR!!!!!!! I want to go there badly!
Don Draper said:
Don would you agree there is a groove at that B&B? I believe the social media aspect allows guests to pick up the VIBE at a B&B....personality.
Remember I am one who did not like the inn photos in the least, but still picked up on the groove and that the B&B would be a great place to stay from all the social media marketing. I feel it is the innkeepers shining through on the social media campaign vs the website that someone else probably built. I feel that B&B, vs just seeing it online. Hard to describe.

Highlands John said:
Don Draper said:
Don would you agree there is a groove at that B&B? I believe the social media aspect allows guests to pick up the VIBE at a B&B....personality.
Remember I am one who did not like the inn photos in the least, but still picked up on the groove and that the B&B would be a great place to stay from all the social media marketing. I feel it is the innkeepers shining through on the social media campaign vs the website that someone else probably built. I feel that B&B, vs just seeing it online. Hard to describe.
My take is that it is a certain type of innkeeper offering a certain type of stay. TWO of my guests are on FB (at least as 'fans' anyway). One is 13 years old. I could ramp up a Twitter & FB campaign to get more guests, but what kinds of guests would I get?
For the most part, I like the mix we get. If I started in on the Twitter campaign and upped the FB campaign, I seriously think I'd be in a totally different market with totally different desires. The way we are now and the way we like to do business would have to change to meet that new clientele's needs.
I guess I'm not sure I really want to do that.
Personally, I don't want the pressure of having thousands of fans wanting something from me everyday. Fans who will turn to the next new thing if I don't keep up. Ack! I'm old! I'm a fuddy duddy! Had to happen eventually.

"I could ramp up a Twitter & FB campaign to get more guests, but what kinds of guests would I get?"
Topics for discussion are mostly to bring in more guests, I doubt a B&B campaign is going to bring in riff raff. Sorry I just find this very humorous. Like mentioned it showcases more of you, your personality, so you will get the same guests you already get. Fuddy duddy's. tee hee (Hey you called yourself that, I didn't!)
trivia for today:
The cartoon character Elmer Fudd inherited the name from the phrase. 'Fuddy-duddy' was in general circulation in the US well before the character was created in around 1940 and the expression accords with his old-fashioned and obsessive temperament.
elmer-fudd.jpg

"I could ramp up a Twitter & FB campaign to get more guests, but what kinds of guests would I get?"
Topics for discussion are mostly to bring in more guests, I doubt a B&B campaign is going to bring in riff raff. Sorry I just find this very humorous. Like mentioned it showcases more of you, your personality, so you will get the same guests you already get. Fuddy duddy's. tee hee (Hey you called yourself that, I didn't!)
trivia for today:
The cartoon character Elmer Fudd inherited the name from the phrase. 'Fuddy-duddy' was in general circulation in the US well before the character was created in around 1940 and the expression accords with his old-fashioned and obsessive temperament.
elmer-fudd.jpg
What I meant by it was, the type of guests I have now are not on FB or Twitter. Most of them say, 'That's for kids,' or, 'I don't have time and don't want everyone knowing my business.' Same folks who do not write reviews because they don't live online.
So, no, not thinking riff raff, thinking young 'uns. The ones who get here when they feel like it, roll out of bed at 10:59 AM and really don't have much of an interaction with anyone. Even tho everyone keeps touting that it's the 45+ female crowd that is who is on FB right now, they're not the same folks who come here.
OR, they've read up on all the cyber-stalking hotels do and don't want me following them!
Also thinking about having to keep up my end of the conversation. That's all we do here is talk to people, listen to people. I need to rest sometimes!
Anyway, the interactions I have with folks on FB or Twitter are almost always other innkeepers. And the 13 yo FB fan.

Highlands John said:
Don Draper said:
Absolutely! The place is all about the innkeepers. I loved their FB video that they did "Your friends thought you needed a vacation"...I tried to get my aunt who owns a salon and has a huge FB following to do something like that but she's too camera shy.
I agree with Mort's post below, you WILL get a certain type of guest by marketing on FB, for us it's a demographic that we like, the younger professional couples are always just so happy for peace and quiet as they get out of their cities.

So a couple of businesses have had a great initial idea, whipped up a storm and got a great deal of publicity about it. Good for them, but it's been done and it's over.
A few years ago someone put the contents of their vacuum cleaner up for auction on EBay, it made the national news and they got loads of bids on it. Try that again and see what happens.
I have 44 friends on FB and many of them I have "hiden" because most of their daily prattling are of no interest or relevance to me. I really have no interest of having the owners of B&Bs/Inns on my FB friends and reading their daily contributions (even less on Twitter). It's just not relevant, even if I where looking for a place to stay.
We have a well known celebrity over here called Stephen Fry, he's witty and intelligent and I greatly enjoy his work. He is a great exponent of Twitter so I added him, most of his postings were just irrelevant to me and after a few weeks I removed him again.
It seems to me that here the only people promoting social networking as a marketing tool are those who sell their expertise in social networking to other businesses.

So a couple of businesses have had a great initial idea, whipped up a storm and got a great deal of publicity about it. Good for them, but it's been done and it's over.
A few years ago someone put the contents of their vacuum cleaner up for auction on EBay, it made the national news and they got loads of bids on it. Try that again and see what happens.
I have 44 friends on FB and many of them I have "hiden" because most of their daily prattling are of no interest or relevance to me. I really have no interest of having the owners of B&Bs/Inns on my FB friends and reading their daily contributions (even less on Twitter). It's just not relevant, even if I where looking for a place to stay.
We have a well known celebrity over here called Stephen Fry, he's witty and intelligent and I greatly enjoy his work. He is a great exponent of Twitter so I added him, most of his postings were just irrelevant to me and after a few weeks I removed him again.
It seems to me that here the only people promoting social networking as a marketing tool are those who sell their expertise in social networking to other businesses..
Highlands John said:
That's really not an accurate picture of the Forty Putney innkeepers. Their social media presence is who they are, just like their pool table and their bar - it works for them, they enjoy it, and it works for their guests. I imagine they'll keep working it until the technology or their interests move on to something else.
They are one of the few B&Bs I have not had to hide on my FB page. They post on FB no more than once a week, and on Twitter not more than once a day. Tim provides lots of advice for free - see their taping and posting of the Jumping Rocks video - with an occasional paid workshop at a conference. Really, they are a good example of social media as a part of your marketing strategy, not the totality of it. There are lots of bad examples out there who will remain nameless.

Back