Two Days in Pittsburgh

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
If you had only two days in Pittsburgh, what are the things that would top your list to see or do?

On the way, take a detour to Falling Water, the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Mill Run, PA. I have never been but it's on several things to see in your lifetime lists.

If you want it to be educational as well as fun - go to Point Park. The Visitors Center has a wonderful exhibit on Fort Duquense/Fort Pitt to use the French and then English names for the same fort. There is also an original blockhouse there (it was incorporated into one of the warehouses and discovered when they were tearing everything down for the Park) as well as excavations of the original foundation of the Fort. Definitely take the Incline - either one Washington or Duquense (pronounced by the way as Du-kane). They very stupidly tore out the trolley tracks downtown.
The Carnegie-Mellon Museum is wonderful and the Frick Art collection is awesome. Lots of American art. The Andy Warhol Museum is within 2 or 3 blocks of PNC Park (Pirates baseball park) downtown and across the Sixth Street Bridge to get to it.
If flying in or driving in from I-79 to US Rt 22/30 (the Parkway), the Ft Pitt Tunnell that you will go through to get into the City is something I watched them build in the 50s. Before that you had to take Saw Mill Run Blvd around the mountain and go in through the Liberty Tubes - tunnells built in the 20a or 30s I think.
Pittsburgh is a "big" city with a small town feel. See if there is a performance at the Pittsburgh Playhouse or by the Symphony or the Civic Light Opera while you are there. Pittsburgh also has a very nice zoo.
It really depends on what you are "into" as to what is a must do. I am history/arts/culture oriented. When in Pittsburgh, you will be 2 1/2 hours north of me. If you are driving, you will be coming right past me

AWESOME! I am going to look at these suggestions closely.
Keep em coming y'all....
Kentuck Knob is another Wright house near Falling Water but be aware admission is expensive - over $50 for the combo ticket per person.
If you have the time and a vehicle - take US Rt 40 East to Fort Necessity. It is where George Washington is said to have started the French & Indian War. Nice Visitors Center there. Braddock's Highway is called that because General Braddock died enroute to Fort Pitt and was buried in the middle of the road and all the wagons and troops marched across it to keep the French and the Indians from finding the grave and digging him up.
You will also be less than an hour from El's girlhood home of Newell, WV, home of Homer Laughlin China, makers of Fiestaware (my girlhood home was about 25-30 miles south).
Edited to say Stay away from the North Side!!!

Polish and Italian foods are some of the best around!!!!
You can go to about any place on the south side or in the strip district and get some great ethnic foods!!! My mouth is watering!!!! And WONDERFUL old style GROCERY STORES....shop shop shop!!!!!
I don't think Heinz gives tours any longer. BUt is sure was a fun place to go when I was in grade school. I still remember it:)

Thank you! I am taking notes.
Re Food, is there a food specific to Pittsburgh? Something they are known for?
The Zoo and aviary look pretty cool. Going to Mt Washington take the incline and views, looks like a winner too and the Strip for some ethinic mutlicultural food and shopping. Carnegie Museum and Andy Warhol Museum.

You can go to about any place on the south side or in the strip district and get some great ethnic foods!!! My mouth is watering!!!! And WONDERFUL old style GROCERY STORES....shop shop shop!!!!!
I don't think Heinz gives tours any longer. BUt is sure was a fun place to go when I was in grade school. I still remember it:).
catlady said:
I don't think Heinz gives tours any longer. BUt is sure was a fun place to go when I was in grade school. I still remember it:)
I am a Heinz addict. I will check into that!
If you were staying there, where would you stay? Downtown or just across the rivers? Two kids in tow. Here is a map. click hotels lodging button
DH has to verify he can take midweek time off and I have to block the weberv off, so the dates are not confirmed. Preplanning stages.
regular_smile.gif

I don't think Heinz gives tours any longer. BUt is sure was a fun place to go when I was in grade school. I still remember it:).
catlady said:
If you were staying there, where would you stay? Downtown or just across the rivers? Two kids in tow. Here is a map. click hotels lodging button
DH has to verify he can take midweek time off and I have to block the weberv off, so the dates are not confirmed. Preplanning stages.
regular_smile.gif

You should check out the about site on Pittsburgh - it has some interesting food information.
For some reason I always think of pierogies when I think of Pittsburgh, but they are just as much a tradition in the northeast area of PA, like Scranton.
What you really need to do is bone up on the language so you can understand everyone there and make yourself understood.

catlady said:
regular_smile.gif

You should check out the about site on Pittsburgh - it has some interesting food information.
For some reason I always think of pierogies when I think of Pittsburgh, but they are just as much a tradition in the northeast area of PA, like Scranton.
What you really need to do is bone up on the language so you can understand everyone there and make yourself understood.
muirford said:
ah ha! I knew there was something - the Primanti Brothers sandiwch with the fries and coleslaw inside! FOOD CHANNEL.
In Australia you buy sandwiches with coleslaw inside (and here the bbq sand's have coleslaw inside). Thanks!

catlady said:
regular_smile.gif

There is a church in Pittsburgh that was paid for by pierogies! Every Friday the ladies of the church made and sold thousands of pierogies.
If I went into Chicago, it was a requirement to stop on Milwaukee Ave to bring home Pierogies!! Pittsburgh has a very Slavic/Polish heritage because of the steel mills.
HJ no longer owns any plants in the Pittsburgh area. They sold the last one a few years ago. Just called my cousin to ask - she works for HJ. Also found I need to call her more often - she was expecting bad news when she heard it was me (our mutual favorite aunt is the last one left and she was afraid I was calling to say she died).

catlady said:
regular_smile.gif

muirford said:
ah ha! I knew there was something - the Primanti Brothers sandiwch with the fries and coleslaw inside! FOOD CHANNEL.
In Australia you buy sandwiches with coleslaw inside (and here the bbq sand's have coleslaw inside). Thanks!
I was trying to think of that name..Primanti...However that sandwich is NOT one I would eat..but everyone else does!!! I would stay in the downtown area if at all possible..so you can get out and walk and get a feel for the city. It is a wonderful place!!

On the way, take a detour to Falling Water, the Frank Lloyd Wright house in Mill Run, PA. I have never been but it's on several things to see in your lifetime lists..
Been there to Falling Water ....it's neat. Smaller than I thought it would be. I have no clue about Pittsburgh.... Sorry, JBJ :-(

catlady said:
regular_smile.gif

muirford said:
I was trying to think of that name..Primanti...However that sandwich is NOT one I would eat..but everyone else does!!! I would stay in the downtown area if at all possible..so you can get out and walk and get a feel for the city. It is a wonderful place!!
catlady said:
Everything is booked up! Must be a big game on? I am now looking for nearby downtown without being in a bad area? Any ideas? a few miles out

catlady said:
regular_smile.gif

muirford said:
catlady said:
Everything is booked up! Must be a big game on? I am now looking for nearby downtown without being in a bad area? Any ideas? a few miles out
Since we already talked this is for everyone else - Robinson Township is 5 miles west of Pittsburgh off the Parkway (US Rts 22-30) - about as easy to get to as possible. Best part is there is IKEA, Half-Price Books, Max & Ermas..... Just about anything you might be looking for is in and around Robinson Township.

I'm an architecture fan, so I'd probably look into walking tours of downtown. Pittsburgh's a beautiful city, and has a great skyline for a mid-sized city.
I've been to the Pittsburgh Zoo - it's pretty nice, and has a great aviary.
I've only been to Pgh once - I think I need to find an excuse to visit again.

catlady said:
regular_smile.gif

There is a church in Pittsburgh that was paid for by pierogies! Every Friday the ladies of the church made and sold thousands of pierogies.
If I went into Chicago, it was a requirement to stop on Milwaukee Ave to bring home Pierogies!! Pittsburgh has a very Slavic/Polish heritage because of the steel mills.
HJ no longer owns any plants in the Pittsburgh area. They sold the last one a few years ago. Just called my cousin to ask - she works for HJ. Also found I need to call her more often - she was expecting bad news when she heard it was me (our mutual favorite aunt is the last one left and she was afraid I was calling to say she died).
Pierogies are big here in Buffalo too. I guess it's the same steel mill connection. There were lots of Poles here in the early 20th century, although many have now moved out of the city to the eastern suburbs.

You'll only be 2-1/2 to 3 hours from me...
But I've never been to, only past, so I have no advice.
Sounds like fun!!!
=)
Kk.

catlady said:
regular_smile.gif

muirford said:
catlady said:
Maybe out towards the Airport. Hey Katleen's friend Dani 's place is about 45 min from there in Toronto. I'd ask my nephew to put you up in his S Side apt...but I am sure you wouldn't want to be above a karate studio:)

Back