Two Girls on Their Honeymoon -- Funny Story

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisandShelley

Reaction score
We get an online reservation from a girl for a Sunday and Monday night. In the Special Requests section, she puts "we are on our honeymoon". I send her a confirmation and tell Shelley we should get her and her husband some flowers or something for when they arrive.
Now our little town is not normally a same-sex couple destination, so our assumption is that this is a girl and her husband.
The next day, a girl by the same name as on the reservation calls to ask about directions and driving distance to another town close by. She says that her and her friend will both be doing a class there at a cosmetology school on Monday and Tuesday. I tell Shelley about the call and bet her that it's two girls who are both instructors and they are using this class they are teaching as a way to get away for their honeymoon. She says I must be confused with another guest, that it has to be a guy and a girl, maybe they are both cosmetology instructors. But I got the impression over the phone that it was two girls. Shelley goes ahead and gets them a bouquet of white roses for their room.
Aaaaaanyway....So they call and let us know what time they are arriving. Shelley and I are anxiously awaiting to see who was right...and it was ME!!! Two girls come walking up the steps and ring the bell.
We both greet them warmly and welcome them. As we sit down in the parlor and start checking in, I go ahead and say, "Congratulations, I see you're here on your honeymoon."
Silence...and then raucous laughter! The one girl says, "I can't believe you made the reservation under MY name and put that on there!" then the other one says, "You were supposed to tell them it was a joke when you called!!
They just laughed and laughed. Apparently, they have been close friends for many years, that being a "couple" is a running joke with them and their friends.
We only had the one name on our Welcome chalkboard with a heart around it, but they wanted us to put the other girl's name with the heart. They loved the flowers, took pictures with it (and the chalkboard) and posted them on Facebook. Their second night, we all ended up on the porch talking for hours. They were just great guests.
They ended up giving us a great TripAdvisor Review. A memorable moment in our innkeeper infancy.
C

thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

I had the real deal with that. They are now divorced.
DANG!! Thank you for this kick in the head. I just remembered I have some paper weights to ship. When they got divorced, it appears a WV blown glass paper weight mysteriously disappeared and I was designated to find a replacement - I did last week (when Vets were arriving) and I forgot I am supposed to mail them.

Love comes in may forms....it's all great as far as I am concerned! How wonderful to have that energy in your house!
Since we get a fair number of same sex couples we find it helpful that we always ask for the first name of both guests when we take the reservation. Having an extra man at the table usually means cooking more food, while having an extra woman usually means more towels and, I hate to say it, less cleaning needed on our part.
thumbs_up.gif

Love comes in may forms....it's all great as far as I am concerned! How wonderful to have that energy in your house!
Since we get a fair number of same sex couples we find it helpful that we always ask for the first name of both guests when we take the reservation. Having an extra man at the table usually means cooking more food, while having an extra woman usually means more towels and, I hate to say it, less cleaning needed on our part.
thumbs_up.gif
I'm trying to develop the habit of asking for both names when I take the reservation by phone, but this was an online booking. I probably should have asked when she called, but I didn't think about it.

thumbs_up.gif
I'm trying to develop the habit of asking for both names when I take the reservation by phone, but this was an online booking. I probably should have asked when she called, but I didn't think about it.
We rarely get both names with an online booking. Or I get something like Mrs John Smith. I try to remember to ask at check in and write the second name on the form.
Every year I say I'm going to write the names on a board in the kitchen so I look brilliant at breakfast when I remember every name!

thumbs_up.gif
We rarely get both names with an online booking. Or I get something like Mrs John Smith. I try to remember to ask at check in and write the second name on the form.
Every year I say I'm going to write the names on a board in the kitchen so I look brilliant at breakfast when I remember every name!
YES! That is exactly why we do it...well, plus our PO's did it so we continued the practice, but it works so well! I have to say someone's name at least three times before I remember it. The board helps quite a bit. I might remember the wife's name but forget the husbands, or vice versa, but the board really helps. Guests love it when they hear, "Would you like a little more coffee, Mr./Mrs (First Name)? I've even gotten compliments on how I can remember everyone's name. It's the board!!
It also helps us remember anniversaries. Shelley will draw little hearts around their name if they have an anniversary. We'll announce it at breakfast.
In the south, it is a respect thing for a someone to address someone older as Mr. or Mrs. First Name. Just in case you was a-wonderin'.
regular_smile.gif

C

thumbs_up.gif
YES! That is exactly why we do it...well, plus our PO's did it so we continued the practice, but it works so well! I have to say someone's name at least three times before I remember it. The board helps quite a bit. I might remember the wife's name but forget the husbands, or vice versa, but the board really helps. Guests love it when they hear, "Would you like a little more coffee, Mr./Mrs (First Name)? I've even gotten compliments on how I can remember everyone's name. It's the board!!
It also helps us remember anniversaries. Shelley will draw little hearts around their name if they have an anniversary. We'll announce it at breakfast.
In the south, it is a respect thing for a someone to address someone older as Mr. or Mrs. First Name. Just in case you was a-wonderin'.
regular_smile.gif

C
The dry erase board in the kitchen was a lifesaver for me. Not just for names, but for food preferences and special occasions and a reminder who was checking out or staying over.
Cute story!

nice story! Quite the pranksters!
We have learned to ask for both names. However, since my husband's name is not easily gender identifiable, we just had this happen with a reservation in New Zealand we made for ourselves. Got the Mr. and Mrs, reply and had to send them a little note. Of course, it was because they didn't recognize the gender of his name. They sent a nice reply explaining such. Folks are getting better at it.

We have learned to ask for both names. However, since my husband's name is not easily gender identifiable, we just had this happen with a reservation in New Zealand we made for ourselves. Got the Mr. and Mrs, reply and had to send them a little note. Of course, it was because they didn't recognize the gender of his name. They sent a nice reply explaining such. Folks are getting better at it..
happykeeper said:
We have learned to ask for both names. However, since my husband's name is not easily gender identifiable, we just had this happen with a reservation in New Zealand we made for ourselves. Got the Mr. and Mrs, reply and had to send them a little note. Of course, it was because they didn't recognize the gender of his name. They sent a nice reply explaining such. Folks are getting better at it.
I remember Dale and Gale (or however the names were spelled), but both names were unisex and had famous people with those names. I know a male Dale and a female Dale. I know a male Gale and a female Gail. I just knew I would call the wrong person the wrong name. But were they both men, or were they both female, or one of each? I shall not divulge.
The other guest name that made me pause was Gentile. She said it is pronounced "Genteel" and I said, hm. Yes Mrs Bucket.
thumbs_up.gif

We have learned to ask for both names. However, since my husband's name is not easily gender identifiable, we just had this happen with a reservation in New Zealand we made for ourselves. Got the Mr. and Mrs, reply and had to send them a little note. Of course, it was because they didn't recognize the gender of his name. They sent a nice reply explaining such. Folks are getting better at it..
happykeeper said:
I remember Dale and Gale (or however the names were spelled), but both names were unisex and had famous people with those names. I know a male Dale and a female Dale. I know a male Gale and a female Gail. I just knew I would call the wrong person the wrong name. But were they both men, or were they both female, or one of each? I shall not divulge.
The other guest name that made me pause was Gentile. She said it is pronounced "Genteel" and I said, hm. Yes Mrs Bucket.
thumbs_up.gif

and of course the fear of actually getting the relationship wrong.
After 25 years of having to say partner, it's taking awhile to get used to saying husband in public, but slowly and surely we're getting better. That actually does help whomever you are talking to.

happykeeper said:
thumbs_up.gif

JoeyBloggs said:
thumbs_up.gif
Bookay. Hyacinth Bookay!

I think I would be a bit miffed if I'd gone to extra effort with flowers etc. only to find out it was a "joke".

I always get all the names of all the guests.
And then I generally forget their names unless they're staying more than one night. I figure that makes me an experienced innkeeper. I'm doing good if I can even keep track of which guest is staying in which room. Then of course they come back a year later! I generally recognize the last name because that's what I write on my calendar, but not always the first.
I still remember Bob and Robert.... wonderful couple. One of them was a chicken geneticist.... who knew there was such a thing? Very fascinating and he could work from anywhere with his laptop.
=)
Kk.

Back