Two In A Room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if this is an American thing that you're all describing?
It would be curious to hear if innkeepers from Europe or other places are having as many "customers with attitudes", especially in regards to the number of people in the room.

I am involved with BedPosts, a UK B & B Forum & Business Club. They also battle the extra people, kids not considered a an extra person, etc. I admit that when we traveled with out kids we stayed in hotels with 2 beds - boys got the floor one night and the girls got the floor the next. (It was a budget issue.) We had sleeping bags for them. Did NOT try to cram them into a B & B!

Americans are just confrontational in general. And without getting political, the past five years have convinced many of them it's AOK to be an a-hole.

What I tried to say is not that only Americans try go get more people into a room, but are actually getting confrontational about it :)
I should have been a little more specific :)
No, it’s not just us who are confrontational. But, what we see (hear) more of here are foreign guests pretending they don’t understand the language and hoping we’ll take pity. A certain group of people (multiple ethnicities) don’t believe children count so they won’t tell you there are two parents and five kids, they just show up with the kids. And then get angry when you tell them there’s an extra charge, or that they have to go elsewhere.

The best one I had was a woman who assumed I didn’t understand her language so kept insulting me to her au pair. When she left I wished her an enjoyable rest of her vacation in her own language. (Which happens to be a very common language where I live.)

I agree that it's more common to happen with children and guests from our of country. Canadians who we get via boo are so bad, we always call to confirm their numbers. They have a habit of showing up with tiny children after booking one of our upstairs rooms we clearly post are for 2 people and no children under 6.

My SO's favorite question: "You said you were bringing just two people. So your daughter is not a person?"

I wonder if this is an American thing that you're all describing?
It would be curious to hear if innkeepers from Europe or other places are having as many "customers with attitudes", especially in regards to the number of people in the room.
Our experience in Central America is that visitors from the US, in general, tend to be more assertive and are more rule breakers than people from other countries and are more likely to expect things to run like they do in the states. But here, when they have traveled thousands of miles, they aren't really trying to sneak an extra person in the rooms.

Locals are the biggest culprit here when trying to put an extra person in the room. Luckily it's not my trigger, I just charge.

Out of other countries, the Italians are the ones that seem to think that kids don't count as extra people.

Back