U.S. Tourism Promoters Miss the Mark on Branding

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think the US needs to explain itself. People from other countries are not confused. I actually get the concept. The US is already in their movies, music, language etc so you do not need to explain why you would want to visit. Just reitterate that they want to visit.

Advertising works. This is a fact of life. Tourism is big revenue, some cities are falling apart without it. Europeans will find it much easier to visit neighboring countries than fly to the USA. We need to dangle that carrot! BTW Jerry Springer type tv is not actually good marketing, they really see a lot of rubbish TV and it DOES put us in a bad light. We DO need to get that branding out, get that shrimp on the barbie, so to speak.
BRAND US, go ahead, I will turn the other cheek - sssssssinge - give us that brand! We are a country without a brand now, just a mish-mash of messy marketing.

They didn't say they weren't going to advertise. They just had a new slogan. I live in Brazil. We don't have Jerry Springer on TV. We have the biggies, Grey's Anatomy and 2 1/2 men etc. Then we have the total pop culture.
So the idea of branding is to make it assumed that you want to buy/use/go to that product. Of course you want to come to the USA. Then the advertising just uses our icons to remind people of why. The Vegas strip, Statue of Liberty, Mount Rushmore, etc. etc.
Of course you want Diesel Jeans and here is fun beautiful people wearing them. Same idea.
PS Sometimes I feel free to agree or disagree with your news posts as I see you as bringing them for discussion. I hope I do not come across as to contrarian. I recently looked at opening a celebrity/sports management company, and the name we chose was LyfestyleBranding.com hahahahha.

They didn't say they weren't going to advertise. They just had a new slogan. I live in Brazil. We don't have Jerry Springer on TV. We have the biggies, Grey's Anatomy and 2 1/2 men etc. Then we have the total pop culture.
So the idea of branding is to make it assumed that you want to buy/use/go to that product. Of course you want to come to the USA. Then the advertising just uses our icons to remind people of why. The Vegas strip, Statue of Liberty, Mount Rushmore, etc. etc.
Of course you want Diesel Jeans and here is fun beautiful people wearing them. Same idea.
PS Sometimes I feel free to agree or disagree with your news posts as I see you as bringing them for discussion. I hope I do not come across as to contrarian. I recently looked at opening a celebrity/sports management company, and the name we chose was LyfestyleBranding.com hahahahha..
toddburme said:
PS Sometimes I feel free to agree or disagree with your news posts as I see you as bringing them for discussion. I hope I do not come across as to contrarian. I recently looked at opening a celebrity/sports management company, and the name we chose was LyfestyleBranding.com hahahahha.
Feel Free Todd, no worries at all. I always enjoy your pov.
It is just that branding works, I keep seeing ads for "Pure Michigan" and have added it to my list (and I say honestly it was never on my list before). and see I even remember the branding it used, PURE michigan!
oh and ps 2 1/2 men... boo hoo hoo for this country. That is Jerry Springer in a nutshell right there! Elevate the drugged out wacked out because they have fame and money.

PS Sometimes I feel free to agree or disagree with your news posts as I see you as bringing them for discussion. I hope I do not come across as to contrarian. I recently looked at opening a celebrity/sports management company, and the name we chose was LyfestyleBranding.com hahahahha..
toddburme said:
I live in Brazil. We don't have Jerry Springer on TV.
I seem to remember that, but guess I missed the move! Your profile here still says Cannon Falls, MN.

I do not think the US needs to explain itself. People from other countries are not confused. I actually get the concept. The US is already in their movies, music, language etc so you do not need to explain why you would want to visit. Just reitterate that they want to visit..
toddburme said:
I do not think the US needs to explain itself. People from other countries are not confused. I actually get the concept. The US is already in their movies, music, language etc so you do not need to explain why you would want to visit. Just reitterate that they want to visit.
Every place needs to tell people why they should come there - and they have to do it often. Over and over! Just ask Colorado. They stopped their tourism advertising and it took them years to get back to where they WERE before. Our genius Legislature cut the Tourism budget and watched the dollars not come in. Fortunately it only took a year for them to see the error of their ways. We still struggle with them, but at least they see the sense in not killing the goose that lays the golden egg called tax revenue.
There are MANY places in the world to visit and most of them are a lot closer than the USA so we definitely need to be telling the people of the world why they want to come to the USA. And tell them again and again.

I do not think the US needs to explain itself. People from other countries are not confused. I actually get the concept. The US is already in their movies, music, language etc so you do not need to explain why you would want to visit. Just reitterate that they want to visit..
toddburme said:
Every place needs to tell people why they should come there - and they have to do it often. Over and over! Just ask Colorado. They stopped their tourism advertising and it took them years to get back to where they WERE before. Our genius Legislature cut the Tourism budget and watched the dollars not come in. Fortunately it only took a year for them to see the error of their ways. We still struggle with them, but at least they see the sense in not killing the goose that lays the golden egg called tax revenue.
There are MANY places in the world to visit and most of them are a lot closer than the USA so we definitely need to be telling the people of the world why they want to come to the USA. And tell them again and again.
gillumhouse said:
Just ask Colorado. They stopped their tourism advertising and it took them years to get back to where they WERE before. Our genius Legislature cut the Tourism budget and watched the dollars not come in. Fortunately it only took a year for them to see the error of their ways.
Tourism is Arkansas' #2 industry, after farming. While every state around us was cutting their tourism budget the last few years, Arkansas has been increasing it yearly.
Yes, as mentioned above, advertising works and it has to be repeated over and over. So many try a few ads and give up. You've got to stick with it, but you also need good ads, and well-placed ads. And it's advised that you don't stop the ads once your business is going strong.

Just a little FYI to bring it home to the B&B/inn industry. Just 2 weeks ago, I was at the office of the CTP visiting with their top execs. My goal - to make sure the B&B industry is not left off their radar screen. We deserve to be part of their plan as much as hotels. Discover America.com, which is being passed to the CTP from the U S Travel Association, only points people to the big OTAs, which leaves out 95% of our industry. They've invited me to be on an advisory board, which is a great first step.

toddburme said:
I live in Brazil. We don't have Jerry Springer on TV.
I seem to remember that, but guess I missed the move! Your profile here still says Cannon Falls, MN.
My B&B which is run by my friend/partner is in MN and I travel back all the time, but my home is in Rio de Janeiro.

Can I suggest a new name for them... but no one is going to like it.
We used to travel to the US often, now we do it seldom. It's all the extra hassle and now extra charges. Now we need a passport, so well... I have a passport, which leads me to go further, not closer (waving from Paris! Leaving to see the Eiffel tower in a few minutes). And they keep on instituting new taxes, this year it is a new tax of $5.50 on top of everything else (except for car visits).
It seems no one at the government realizes that each Canadian over the border is worth at least $1K to the US economy. Frankly, the last place to collect a tax should be on the backs of tourists.... who put money into the system and lower trade deficits. Bugs me no end. I have the same view of hotel taxes, we have to find a better place to tax then people paying off our trade deficit.

toddburme said:
gillumhouse said:
Just ask Colorado. They stopped their tourism advertising and it took them years to get back to where they WERE before. Our genius Legislature cut the Tourism budget and watched the dollars not come in. Fortunately it only took a year for them to see the error of their ways.
Tourism is Arkansas' #2 industry, after farming. While every state around us was cutting their tourism budget the last few years, Arkansas has been increasing it yearly.
Yes, as mentioned above, advertising works and it has to be repeated over and over. So many try a few ads and give up. You've got to stick with it, but you also need good ads, and well-placed ads. And it's advised that you don't stop the ads once your business is going strong.
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
I thought this was the first
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
'20 Kids and Counting?': TV couple expecting 20th
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - TLC reality show "19 Kids and Counting" may soon need a new name. Arkansas couple Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar appeared with their burgeoning clan on NBC's "Today" show Tuesday and announced they are expecting their 20th child in April ( ).[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

toddburme said:
gillumhouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - TLC reality show "19 Kids and Counting" may soon need a new name. Arkansas couple Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar appeared with their burgeoning clan on NBC's "Today" show Tuesday and announced they are expecting their 20th child in April ( ).[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
[/tr]

[/table]
That's just wrong on so many levels. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Just a little FYI to bring it home to the B&B/inn industry. Just 2 weeks ago, I was at the office of the CTP visiting with their top execs. My goal - to make sure the B&B industry is not left off their radar screen. We deserve to be part of their plan as much as hotels. Discover America.com, which is being passed to the CTP from the U S Travel Association, only points people to the big OTAs, which leaves out 95% of our industry. They've invited me to be on an advisory board, which is a great first step..
jkarennj said:
Just a little FYI to bring it home to the B&B/inn industry. Just 2 weeks ago, I was at the office of the CTP visiting with their top execs. My goal - to make sure the B&B industry is not left off their radar screen. We deserve to be part of their plan as much as hotels. Discover America.com, which is being passed to the CTP from the U S Travel Association, only points people to the big OTAs, which leaves out 95% of our industry. They've invited me to be on an advisory board, which is a great first step.
Thanks Jay!
For all that we offer in a 'real' American experience, no one in the wider industry seems to remember there is such a vibrant business as a B&B! Or, maybe they're just going after the low-hanging fruit. 'Here, give visitors a few brand name websites, don't try to herd cats with all the mom & pop shops.'
Even though a big percentage of our guests are from overseas, are totally used to the B&B idea and like the smaller properties and friendly amenities the tourism industry as a whole ignores us.

toddburme said:
gillumhouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
I was hoping y'all would miss the latest Duggar news. Sigh. We work so hard to escape our hillbilly past (and present). I guess we should embrace it and make DuggarLand a tourist attraction.

toddburme said:
gillumhouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
I was hoping y'all would miss the latest Duggar news. Sigh. We work so hard to escape our hillbilly past (and present). I guess we should embrace it and make DuggarLand a tourist attraction.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Sorry Arkie, couldn't help myself... Hey people follow them, so they are a tourist attraction, an attraction of some sort anyway. To be honest, I never even realized what state they were in...

toddburme said:
gillumhouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Sorry Arkie, couldn't help myself... Hey people follow them, so they are a tourist attraction, an attraction of some sort anyway. To be honest, I never even realized what state they were in...
I never heard of them. All I can says is "Thank G** they are NOT from West Virginia!"

toddburme said:
gillumhouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
I never heard of them. All I can says is "Thank G** they are NOT from West Virginia!"
gillumhouse said:
They make international news every time they have another one, which is sometimes twice in the same year!

toddburme said:
gillumhouse said:
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
They make international news every time they have another one, which is sometimes twice in the same year!
Thank you for housing them. We have enough bad PR - although they are pikers to some here. I know several people who are from families of 24 kids. Pre-PILL of course. But there are some ante-PILL.

Back