U.S. Tourism Promoters Miss the Mark on Branding

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think the US needs to explain itself. People from other countries are not confused. I actually get the concept. The US is already in their movies, music, language etc so you do not need to explain why you would want to visit. Just reitterate that they want to visit..
toddburme said:
I do not think the US needs to explain itself. People from other countries are not confused. I actually get the concept. The US is already in their movies, music, language etc so you do not need to explain why you would want to visit. Just reitterate that they want to visit.
Every place needs to tell people why they should come there - and they have to do it often. Over and over! Just ask Colorado. They stopped their tourism advertising and it took them years to get back to where they WERE before. Our genius Legislature cut the Tourism budget and watched the dollars not come in. Fortunately it only took a year for them to see the error of their ways. We still struggle with them, but at least they see the sense in not killing the goose that lays the golden egg called tax revenue.
There are MANY places in the world to visit and most of them are a lot closer than the USA so we definitely need to be telling the people of the world why they want to come to the USA. And tell them again and again.
gillumhouse said:
Just ask Colorado. They stopped their tourism advertising and it took them years to get back to where they WERE before. Our genius Legislature cut the Tourism budget and watched the dollars not come in. Fortunately it only took a year for them to see the error of their ways.
Tourism is Arkansas' #2 industry, after farming. While every state around us was cutting their tourism budget the last few years, Arkansas has been increasing it yearly.
Yes, as mentioned above, advertising works and it has to be repeated over and over. So many try a few ads and give up. You've got to stick with it, but you also need good ads, and well-placed ads. And it's advised that you don't stop the ads once your business is going strong.
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
Just ask Colorado. They stopped their tourism advertising and it took them years to get back to where they WERE before. Our genius Legislature cut the Tourism budget and watched the dollars not come in. Fortunately it only took a year for them to see the error of their ways.
Tourism is Arkansas' #2 industry, after farming. While every state around us was cutting their tourism budget the last few years, Arkansas has been increasing it yearly.
I thought this was the first
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
'20 Kids and Counting?': TV couple expecting 20th
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - TLC reality show "19 Kids and Counting" may soon need a new name. Arkansas couple Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar appeared with their burgeoning clan on NBC's "Today" show Tuesday and announced they are expecting their 20th child in April ( ).[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
I was hoping y'all would miss the latest Duggar news. Sigh. We work so hard to escape our hillbilly past (and present). I guess we should embrace it and make DuggarLand a tourist attraction.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
I was hoping y'all would miss the latest Duggar news. Sigh. We work so hard to escape our hillbilly past (and present). I guess we should embrace it and make DuggarLand a tourist attraction.
Sorry Arkie, couldn't help myself... Hey people follow them, so they are a tourist attraction, an attraction of some sort anyway. To be honest, I never even realized what state they were in...
I never heard of them. All I can says is "Thank G** they are NOT from West Virginia!"
gillumhouse said:
I never heard of them. All I can says is "Thank G** they are NOT from West Virginia!"
They have a tv show that airs pretty much any time of the day on one of the cable networks. For maybe a dozen years now? Something like that.

I do not think the US needs to explain itself. People from other countries are not confused. I actually get the concept. The US is already in their movies, music, language etc so you do not need to explain why you would want to visit. Just reitterate that they want to visit..
toddburme said:
I do not think the US needs to explain itself. People from other countries are not confused. I actually get the concept. The US is already in their movies, music, language etc so you do not need to explain why you would want to visit. Just reitterate that they want to visit.
Every place needs to tell people why they should come there - and they have to do it often. Over and over! Just ask Colorado. They stopped their tourism advertising and it took them years to get back to where they WERE before. Our genius Legislature cut the Tourism budget and watched the dollars not come in. Fortunately it only took a year for them to see the error of their ways. We still struggle with them, but at least they see the sense in not killing the goose that lays the golden egg called tax revenue.
There are MANY places in the world to visit and most of them are a lot closer than the USA so we definitely need to be telling the people of the world why they want to come to the USA. And tell them again and again.
gillumhouse said:
Yes, as mentioned above, advertising works and it has to be repeated over and over. So many try a few ads and give up. You've got to stick with it, but you also need good ads, and well-placed ads. And it's advised that you don't stop the ads once your business is going strong.
Arkansawyer said:
gillumhouse said:
wink_smile.gif

[tr]
'20 Kids and Counting?': TV couple expecting 20th
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - TLC reality show "19 Kids and Counting" may soon need a new name. Arkansas couple Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar appeared with their burgeoning clan on NBC's "Today" show Tuesday and announced they are expecting their 20th child in April ( ).[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Sorry Arkie, couldn't help myself... Hey people follow them, so they are a tourist attraction, an attraction of some sort anyway. To be honest, I never even realized what state they were in...
gillumhouse said:
They have a tv show that airs pretty much any time of the day on one of the cable networks. For maybe a dozen years now? Something like that.
that 'splains it - I do not watch TV.

Back