Ugghh...here I am waiting and he was 2 hours early, what to do

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domsmom

Reaction score
Ok, his reservation form says arrival time : 1600. Our check in time is 4pm.
at 1635 I receive an email that he was here "at 1400 and waited 1 hour". I have an appointment on Tuesdays from 2-3pm. Had he said he would be here at 1400 I would have changed my appointment time. He was booked for 3 days, though I have a 14 day cancellation policy, what do I do?
I replied that he said he would be here at 1600. I have not heard back yet and now I have somewhere else to be, picking up the 3 year old at a friends house.
Venting and wondering : what would you do?

If he said it in an e-mail, hang it on the end of his nose. If he said 1600 there can be no confusion regarding A.M. or P.M. as there is only one 1600 per day. This is a B & B - NOT an impersonal yucky hotel!

Wait, your check in time begins at 1600 right? Don't stress it will work itself out. These time things always put an ache in my gutt too.
Stick to your policies, please, everyone, do everyone everywhere a favor and stick to your policies.

If you have replied back that you are waiting for him to check in at his stated time (or now some other time) that's it. If he doesn't show, he's a no show. Deal with it however you normally would.
NOW, for the NEXT time this happens...whenever you are not going to be around kind of close to check in time, make sure there is a note on the door clearly staing that check-in is at whatever time. Then go about your day, either at home or away. No need to state 'no one is here right now' just that check-in is at...

No he replied that he found an alternate place to stay as I was not here at 1400 when he was. Honestly if this happened any other time I would handle it differentlly, but I just took my guest of 30 days to the airport and have 14 people checking in on Friday, so I am using the next 2 days to decompress and prepare.
I love, love, love the suggestion of sticking a note on the door when I will be out from 2-4 and letting people know check in time is 4pm and I will be happy to assist them at 4pm.
Thank YOU!!!

No he replied that he found an alternate place to stay as I was not here at 1400 when he was. Honestly if this happened any other time I would handle it differentlly, but I just took my guest of 30 days to the airport and have 14 people checking in on Friday, so I am using the next 2 days to decompress and prepare.
I love, love, love the suggestion of sticking a note on the door when I will be out from 2-4 and letting people know check in time is 4pm and I will be happy to assist them at 4pm.
Thank YOU!!!.
domsmom said:
Thank YOU!!!
I hope you charged him as a "no show". It's not your fault if he came at the wrong time and then booked elsewhere.

absolutely ... i printed up a cute little sign that i hung on the door that said 'INNKEEPER WILL BE BACK AT 3 PM TO PERSONALLY CHECK YOU IN.' underneath in a bit smaller print was the name of the place, our phone number and 'Check in 3 to 7 PM.' i had a basket with brochures in it and the local maps with restaurants and things clearly marked ... oftentimes i was actually inside resting up or rushing around with the doors LOCKED.
i used vista print on one of their free promotions and used post cards for my sign
Good Luck!

Back