UGH! I am exhausted from refusing 1 night stays.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have a minimum stay requirement. It makes it easier for me to keep track of. I just let the universe take its course on who stays here. All four rooms are full everynight anyways as I get a lot of drive bys. Lots of Europeans this year are driving by and they are a pleasure to have here. So I get people staying anywhere from 1-7 nights.. so its usually not a big deal when they are staggered and I have two check outs and two stay overs in a day or like today three stayovers and one check out. I am getting more business without a minimum requirement and it makes the guests happy who can only stay for one night.

We don't have a minimum stay requirement. It makes it easier for me to keep track of. I just let the universe take its course on who stays here. All four rooms are full everynight anyways as I get a lot of drive bys. Lots of Europeans this year are driving by and they are a pleasure to have here. So I get people staying anywhere from 1-7 nights.. so its usually not a big deal when they are staggered and I have two check outs and two stay overs in a day or like today three stayovers and one check out. I am getting more business without a minimum requirement and it makes the guests happy who can only stay for one night..
We did this our first year and were completely burned out on it after a few months...all those flips, plus knowing you have check-ins EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! No time off. So we switched to 2-night minimums for weekends. It drastically cut down on laundry and just gave us a little breathing room.

We cannot physically take a one night on Friday. We are both driving wine tours every Saturday, and until we can build our other wing and have some part time help we just can't do it. So I have and "out" by telling them we can't phsically be in two places at once. But only one or two B&Bs in our area will take a one nighter and we say we don't on our website. But they still call and email. "I know you say you don't take one night weekend stays. I want to stay one night this weekend. Can I?" Like it does not apply to them...
The tour for two brings in the same money as a one night stay so we will take a tour before a BB nite stay. They are so incredulous when we tell them no and is shows no bookings. They expect us to take them if we don't have a two night stay booked by Monday for the weekend.
I can't push DH too far as he is methodical and needs to work on one task at a time. And I refuse to use my vacation time to work at the B&B. Sick time maybe since I'm never sick, but not vacation time.
Right now there is a U2 concert booked here in C'ville and people are calling me for a room that night. Sure. So that makes this weekend a little off. Booked Thu and Fri but cannot book Sat as I can't be there to turn the rooms since we're driving tours.
The one bright light is our new innsitters 45 minutes away are perfectly happy to come and turn rooms and babysit for an afternoon while we're out driving. But we can't always get them when we want as they have other clients.
RIki

We don't have a minimum stay requirement. It makes it easier for me to keep track of. I just let the universe take its course on who stays here. All four rooms are full everynight anyways as I get a lot of drive bys. Lots of Europeans this year are driving by and they are a pleasure to have here. So I get people staying anywhere from 1-7 nights.. so its usually not a big deal when they are staggered and I have two check outs and two stay overs in a day or like today three stayovers and one check out. I am getting more business without a minimum requirement and it makes the guests happy who can only stay for one night..
Oceans~ I can't remember: are you a solo innkeeper, or do you have a spouse/significant other who is with you? Your days sound terribly busy! My hat is off to you that you don't have any min requirements. I am pleased to hear that it is working out well for you
thumbs_up.gif

We usually take one night stays, mostly because when my DH and I get a chance to get away ourselves it's usually only for one night so I appreciate places that let us do that. That being said, it is a lot more work, especially this time of year with the foliage peepers so we do have a two-night minimum on Columbus Day weekend. Most guests though wish they booked for two nights after being here.

We also do not have a min. stay requirement except for special events, holidays and some of our packages. I would love to be able to have a 2 night min, even if only weekends, but I would loose too much business doing so in my area. I think we all do what we can get away with in this regard whether it be seasonal, year round or just during holidays...there is no right or wrong way except for YOU!
For some, wanting a one night stay when a 2 night min. is required is as much of an insult as when someone OFFERS to give you half the nightly rate so 'the room is not empty'..... well thank you, thankyouverymuch!
I do try to entice them by offering a discount for 2 or more nights and sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. I do not discount for one night, except if by GOV per deim but usually they are staying for more than one night anyway.

As a customer, I can definitely say that I would not even consider paying a premium for a one-night stay on a week-end. There are too many other options in this area. That being said, your needs and your market will dictate what you can do. If I ever do get to own a B&B, I'll have to beg your indulgence as I bemoan multiple one-nighters!
(And now I feel guilty about the one we have planned this week-end!)

As a customer, I can definitely say that I would not even consider paying a premium for a one-night stay on a week-end. There are too many other options in this area. That being said, your needs and your market will dictate what you can do. If I ever do get to own a B&B, I'll have to beg your indulgence as I bemoan multiple one-nighters!
(And now I feel guilty about the one we have planned this week-end!).
SeaWave said:
I allowed a one nighter here Friday and now the other night it sits empty. This month is our bread and butter - Nov it all drops off and we start pawning off our kids.

SeaWave said:
I allowed a one nighter here Friday and now the other night it sits empty. This month is our bread and butter - Nov it all drops off and we start pawning off our kids.
[ we start pawning off our kids.
[/quote]
LOL too funny!

But why just one night? You drive to get there, you have dinner and go to bed. After breakfast you hardly have time to see or do anything and it is time to drive back. Not what I would consider a relaxing get-away. I can see just one night going from here to there, but as a get-away????

If an innkeeper is thinking about a 2 night minimum on the weekends, take the leap of faith and do it. I would rather have 1/2 my rooms full for 2 night stays than to fill up with one nighters on a Sat. Same money, but twice as much work!

But why just one night? You drive to get there, you have dinner and go to bed. After breakfast you hardly have time to see or do anything and it is time to drive back. Not what I would consider a relaxing get-away. I can see just one night going from here to there, but as a get-away????
As an example, this week-end we're doing Fall Art Tours in three different areas between here and there. So Saturday driving there, visiting art studios as we go along, stay overnight, Sunday driving back by a different route visiting art studios again. The B&B where we're staying has only 3 rooms, and the one night stay didn't seem to be an issue for them (for whatever reason). This is not the 'high season' for the area as it's quite cool already (just north of Lake Ontario). They may have more restrictions over the summer, when I'm sure they're much busier.

Sorry - double post!

Sorry - double post!
SeaWave said:
Sorry - double post!
Denise if you click PREVIEW on your post before hitting save for some reason it duplicates it, that may be what is happening to your posts if you are wondering. You could hit save and then edit to fix typos after. Let me hit preview and see if I get this post twice...if you hit the bottom SAVE after preview it will show twice. Okay ignore all that it didn't do it.
Somewhere on here we hit save and it saves it twice and posts it twice. Can't recall maybe someone can assist?

This year could be dubbed The Year of One Night Stays. I think the economy has a lot to do with it. People don't realize how much more work this is for us. I solved the problem by putting together a Romantic Getaway package that covers the extra work, otherwise I try to avoid them..
SweetiePie said:
This year could be dubbed The Year of One Night Stays. I think the economy has a lot to do with it. People don't realize how much more work this is for us. I solved the problem by putting together a Romantic Getaway package that covers the extra work, otherwise I try to avoid them.
For me this phenom has been strictly localized. Almost all of my one night stays were STOPPING here between their flight and their 3-4 night stay somewhere else.
Then, we had a guy over Columbus Day weekend ask for a one night stay (which I was doing at that point a week prior to the date) and he wanted a discount. He wanted 2 rooms so thought he should get something off for that.

i was in a totally different market.
many folks were looking for a place to stay for just one night, to take the ferry to an island in the morning. i loved multi night stays because of less flipping, but would have lost so much business if i insisted on it. the new managers tried it this summer and it did not work out ... except in specific time frames like during the lobster festival which i did also.
i have heard that the area has been hit hard with low vacancy this summer, so one night stays would be welcome..
I just had someone here who was doing exactly that at your old place. Staying to take the ferry, altho she mentioned wanting extra nights but did not know if there would be any vacancy. There seemed to be some confusion as to whether or not any rooms were open.

I am having no problems booking single weekend nights. I am considering a "discount" for booking a weekend - 2 nights. I'm wearing myself very thin changing a room every night.

Sorry - double post!
SeaWave said:
Sorry - double post!
Denise if you click PREVIEW on your post before hitting save for some reason it duplicates it, that may be what is happening to your posts if you are wondering. You could hit save and then edit to fix typos after. Let me hit preview and see if I get this post twice...if you hit the bottom SAVE after preview it will show twice. Okay ignore all that it didn't do it.
Somewhere on here we hit save and it saves it twice and posts it twice. Can't recall maybe someone can assist?

I think you are thinking of the recipe that if you preview it eats your recipe quantities (never preview your recipe). The double posts are largely caused by double clicking the save button instead of single clicking it. Either that or clicking it once, then something gets hung up with the service connection and so hitting save again creates the double post.

We do have a minimum stay on weekends, we did not have many one nighters this year. Like I've mentioned before, we've been very sparotic this year...

I hear you! Same thing happens to me. If I still have a room available, I'll open it up on Thursday for a 1 night.
No, people don't get it. And they don't want to get it. I actually had a guy say to me a few years ago after I explained to him why I don't do 1 nighters on a Sat."well, you care more about yourself than your guests".
UHHHHHH???? It's only because I treat guests well that I got busy enough to demand a 2 night minimum and this guy didn't care in the slightest that I would lose half my income by taking just Sat night reservations..
Breakfast Diva said:
I hear you! Same thing happens to me. If I still have a room available, I'll open it up on Thursday for a 1 night.
No, people don't get it. And they don't want to get it. I actually had a guy say to me a few years ago after I explained to him why I don't do 1 nighters on a Sat."well, you care more about yourself than your guests".
UHHHHHH???? It's only because I treat guests well that I got busy enough to demand a 2 night minimum and this guy didn't care in the slightest that I would lose half my income by taking just Sat night reservations.
good answer.
We here deal with the same nonsense. There are no one night rentals for me unless it is during the week and I am not busy.
I wish I could say to them, you can stay for one night, no problem but it costs double the nightly rate, duh

Back