UGH! I am exhausted from refusing 1 night stays.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Whats with all the 1 night stay requests? I have wasted my whole morning answering the phone to refuse 1 night saturday requests. Don't people get that if you give away a saturday you have shot yourself in the foot by losing your friday or sunday? Sorry for the rant, but its just so frustrating. How do you folks handle this? I used to take a waiting list, but found that to be a total waste of time.

Is there a point when you haven't sold Friday where you will do a 1 night on Saturday? Do you have a lot of "local" people staying (with in so many hours from you)?

I hear you! Same thing happens to me. If I still have a room available, I'll open it up on Thursday for a 1 night.
No, people don't get it. And they don't want to get it. I actually had a guy say to me a few years ago after I explained to him why I don't do 1 nighters on a Sat."well, you care more about yourself than your guests".
UHHHHHH???? It's only because I treat guests well that I got busy enough to demand a 2 night minimum and this guy didn't care in the slightest that I would lose half my income by taking just Sat night reservations.

I charge an extra fee( on top of the room rate) for a Friday or Saturday reservation. About 1/2 the enquiries agree to pay the extra fee . The rest I send to another B&B that takes 1 nite resevation. Mary in Bridgewater, Va.

Don't be offended they want to stay with you and can't be there both nights. Let the answering machine get the calls...directing them to the online booking and they can check themselves or book two nights.

Yeah, it's especially bad this year. We will open it up the Monday prior...what we get are people calling months ahead for the single Friday or Saturday night...no way!
If you are getting so many calls maybe it's worth your while to open 'em up and put a hefty convenience fee on there (if I recall correctly I think you already have an upcharge for a single night stay, don't you? Make it even more for a Saturday).

Do most of your one-nighters come from within a certain distance from the Inn? Are most of these people from the "big-city"? Do you market to mostly people from that city, or do you also market to people who are coming to visit the city and the surrounding area?
I rarely get asked for a one night stay, but most of our guests are driving about 4 hours each way, which most people consider too far for a one night stay.

Do most of your one-nighters come from within a certain distance from the Inn? Are most of these people from the "big-city"? Do you market to mostly people from that city, or do you also market to people who are coming to visit the city and the surrounding area?
I rarely get asked for a one night stay, but most of our guests are driving about 4 hours each way, which most people consider too far for a one night stay..
We always got asked about one nights especially in fall foliage season. Sorry... I required a 2 night stay no matter when during OCT. I could not deal with changing rooms every day.
Some of my friends will take a one night for Friday when their room is filled SAT/SUN, and another will give a one night SAT but will UP CHARGE for a one night Sat. stay. People will pay it.

I rarely get asked for a one night stay, but most of our guests are driving about 4 hours each way, which most people consider too far for a one night stay..
Little Blue said:
I rarely get asked for a one night stay, but most of our guests are driving about 4 hours each way, which most people consider too far for a one night stay.
All of our guests come from a minimum of 4 hours drive - case in point tonight we have two one nighters from FLA and another from GA. The GA are driving straight here from ATL, the FLA are driving about 6 or 7 hours from their stop last night. There is this thing with B&B's - and yes we have done it to ourselves, that we are all so different and unique that guests have fun "B&B Hopping" so-to-speak. They will spend an entire week in a different B&B each night, I get these guests ALL THE TIME. This is how I hear about your B&B's from guests.
Then some other guests are the anniversary getaway/wedding nights, they are only after one special night. I love these guests most! Hate the extra work but love the guests - the ones who appreciate every detail.
This weekend with the wine festival they WOULD all want one night, but we have the two night min this weekend. One room is here for a wedding and finally succumbed to the fact there is a major football game and wine festival on the same weekend, so they better take both nights and be happy about it. :)
So don't feel insulted, feel complimented! They want to stay with you. They are unable to stay both nights.
Here is some trivia for you all - my state is within a day's drive or less to 60% of the U.S. population. I am also 15 miles from the grande dame of American Scenic drives...so for that reason - one nighters abound. It is what it is...
(I say as I am here with sweat dripping from cleaning yet another one night room)

This year could be dubbed The Year of One Night Stays. I think the economy has a lot to do with it. People don't realize how much more work this is for us. I solved the problem by putting together a Romantic Getaway package that covers the extra work, otherwise I try to avoid them.

Little Blue said:
All of our guests come from a minimum of 4 hours drive - case in point tonight we have two one nighters from FLA and another from GA. The GA are driving straight here from ATL, the FLA are driving about 6 or 7 hours from their stop last night. There is this thing with B&B's - and yes we have done it to ourselves, that we are all so different and unique that guests have fun "B&B Hopping" so-to-speak. They will spend an entire week in a different B&B each night, I get these guests ALL THE TIME. This is how I hear about your B&B's from guests.
Then some other guests are the anniversary getaway/wedding nights, they are only after one special night. I love these guests most! Hate the extra work but love the guests - the ones who appreciate every detail.
This weekend with the wine festival they WOULD all want one night, but we have the two night min this weekend. One room is here for a wedding and finally succumbed to the fact there is a major football game and wine festival on the same weekend, so they better take both nights and be happy about it. :)
So don't feel insulted, feel complimented! They want to stay with you. They are unable to stay both nights.
Here is some trivia for you all - my state is within a day's drive or less to 60% of the U.S. population. I am also 15 miles from the grande dame of American Scenic drives...so for that reason - one nighters abound. It is what it is...
(I say as I am here with sweat dripping from cleaning yet another one night room)
Joe Bloggs said:
I know, I know........WV

Little Blue said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I know, I know........WV
WRONG
embaressed_smile.gif

Little Blue said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I know, I know........WV
GeorgiaGirl said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I know, I know........WV
Nope
poke.gif

Little Blue said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I know, I know........WV
Nope, not West Virginia.............. :)

Is there a point when you haven't sold Friday where you will do a 1 night on Saturday? Do you have a lot of "local" people staying (with in so many hours from you)?.
GeorgiaGirl said:
Is there a point when you haven't sold Friday where you will do a 1 night on Saturday? Do you have a lot of "local" people staying (with in so many hours from you)?
Sure, but not unless its at the last minute. I can always book a single Sat. night on a Saturday if its available. Most of my customers are from the tristate area of New York, Philadelphia and NJ. With some VA and MD tossed in.

I charge an extra fee( on top of the room rate) for a Friday or Saturday reservation. About 1/2 the enquiries agree to pay the extra fee . The rest I send to another B&B that takes 1 nite resevation. Mary in Bridgewater, Va..
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
I charge an extra fee( on top of the room rate) for a Friday or Saturday reservation. About 1/2 the enquiries agree to pay the extra fee . The rest I send to another B&B that takes 1 nite resevation. Mary in Bridgewater, Va.
Yes, me too. I charge an additional $35 over standard rates for a 1 night stay on weekends/holidays, when a room is available. I am just now coming into my peak season.

Here is more trivia (I just got an e-newsletter from the state parks dept of conservation so I am quoting them) and please everyone support your state parks or they will go bye bye like they are in Cal.
"You are never more than an hour's drive from a state park" (in this state). True, we are within an hour of TWO right here.

i was in a totally different market.
many folks were looking for a place to stay for just one night, to take the ferry to an island in the morning. i loved multi night stays because of less flipping, but would have lost so much business if i insisted on it. the new managers tried it this summer and it did not work out ... except in specific time frames like during the lobster festival which i did also.
i have heard that the area has been hit hard with low vacancy this summer, so one night stays would be welcome.

BedandBreakfast.com put out an article recently talking about trends in the B&B market. One of these were more one-night stays.
I'm afraid it's a sign of the economic times. We adapted. We had to or we'd never get any reservations.
One thing I will say, everyone that comes here for one night ALWAYS wishes they had made it two nights. We are starting to get repeats and they're staying longer.

West Virginia is even better situated being a bit closer to the Midwest. I got some tourism figures and facts at the Conference, just have not had time to read it yet - daughter, Conference, Garden Club, & Fr on ti er D a y s (do not want this to come up in a Google as my blog runneth over with hits this week on that phrase). The Grand Marshall of the parade is staying here tomorrow night - a VERY decorated man. His medals list made my jaw drop!
I get a lot of one-nighters as people travel up & down the Interstate, move horses, etc. I also get a fair number of 2-nighters with my packages. Have a 4-night coming in 2 weeks. I get a lot of people from in-State. Our Tourism Division has been doing ads to encourage seeing our own State. I think my Illinois kids have seen more of my State than most West Virginians have.

Back