Ugh, I bought the wrong stuff

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
I was rushing through Costco and grabbed what I thought was my usual bags of pork sausage links. Got home and quickly threw them in the freezer. I pulled one out this morning and it's large, Mild Italian Sausage Links. Doh! Not exactly a breakfast item.

Does anyone have some clever ideas how I can incorporate Italian Sausage into breakfasts? I now have 10 lbs of it!

Remove the casing and make biscuits & gravy. Call it a Southern Country Breakfast. Thin slice it, cook, and add to scrabbled eggs. And why is it not a breakfast item? If the links are too large, slice them and add the slices to the plate.

Remove casing and make into patty with some sage... breakfast sausage patty :) You can also cook and add into fritata.

I have regularly used the large sausages from Costco for breakfast - cook the links in the oven then slice into rounds for the plate. Usually their sausages are pretty tasty!

It’s OK.
Grill and serve the one on the plate where normally you would serve 2 or more smaller. Try it once. It will be OK.

If you do a breakfast scramble or frittata with Italian sausage, cherry tomatoes, spinach and parmesan cheese, you'll be very pleased with the results.

Thx everyone. I fried one up for myself yesterday and they are surprisingly mild. I'll probably do as Generic suggests and add some sage and make them into patties. I've found that here, in the land of fruit and nuts, my guests are surprisingly picky about the meats. I've also learned that I can't put meats into an egg dish, it must be served on the side unless I specifically ask, which is a pain in the tush, so I don't. It makes me fondly remember Joey Bloggs who hates meat in her mains!

After we had a dining room full of somewhat observant Jews we stopped putting meat in anything. They were really sweet about it, but it wasn’t something I’d even considered before that.

We were at a b&b where they asked on day one if we wanted sausage and thereafter put it in everything! When I asked why the innkeeper said, ‘you ate it yesterday!’ Well, yes, but you asked yesterday and it wasn’t IN the entree, but on the side. But, apparently, if you ate it once you’ll eat it everyday.

We also keep the egg dishes vegetarian. But always serve either bacon or sausage on the side. I like the patty idea.

After we had a dining room full of somewhat observant Jews we stopped putting meat in anything. They were really sweet about it, but it wasn’t something I’d even considered before that.

We were at a b&b where they asked on day one if we wanted sausage and thereafter put it in everything! When I asked why the innkeeper said, ‘you ate it yesterday!’ Well, yes, but you asked yesterday and it wasn’t IN the entree, but on the side. But, apparently, if you ate it once you’ll eat it everyday.

That is why I ask my guests to choose the meat for each breakfast (supposed to be one for each breakfast but I often get he would like and she would like - Grr, but I do it). Their choices are bacon, ham. pork chops, steak, or my homemade pork or venison sausage (Italian or maple) since Porky & Bambi are sharing my freezer. (I had all except special cuts ground and packaged in one pound packages for sausage.)

After we had a dining room full of somewhat observant Jews we stopped putting meat in anything. They were really sweet about it, but it wasn’t something I’d even considered before that....

We ask, but they also forget to mention. When we could go over the border, I would buy some TJ's Vegan Chorizo. It's not something I can get here. I'd freeze it and use it in fritattas. Threw a few people who thought that it was real. But basically meat is on the side or a question for each serving.

Back