UGH!! why do people think it's OK to show up at 5h early???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scribbles

Reaction score
This is a rant.
Husband and I are running around in sweatpants, music on, cleaning, mopping, putting away groceries (no guests last night, did a trip to town to pick up supplies) -- when suddenly tonight's guests show up at 10AM (they emailed 2 days ago to say they wouldn't be here til after 4, which is check-in).
Husband went to say hello - I hid because I'm dressed for cleaning (girls, you know what I mean).
Guests are like "Oh we ended up getting here really early! So, tell me about the place, can we have tour? what should we do today, what's the weather like, where should we get lunch, do you have a fridge, etc etc" Husband chatted politely for 20min then said we were busy cleaning. He relented and said we'd be ready for them by 2:30PM which means we have to really move our butts now.
Guests leave their bags and leave. Husband comes back in. I start ranting about rude guests, who does this, being tired, shitty job, you can imagine -- when suddenly THE GUESTS ARE BACK BECAUSE THEY LEFT SOMETHING ON THE COUNTER. I'm *pretty* sure they heard me ranting. Now I feel terrible and am dreading formally greeting them at 2:30 today. What should I do?? I feel sooo bad. Should I just act normal and greet them as usual? UGHHHHHH damn it
confused_smile.gif

Act as if they didn't hear it. They realized they put you on the spot and it will likely just be part of the past. If you want, you can laugh it off like you weren't yourself this morning having been caught at your worst.

Thanks Jon. :) Husbands says it's very unlikely I was heard, as I was in the ranting in the pantry and guest showed up in the other room. Guest is older, hopefully has some level of hearing loss..... hahaha... sigh.

I agree with Jon. Just act as if they hadn't heard. Also, don't be surprised if they don't show up well after 2:30 and really irk you again.
I'd be more upset that hubby told them 2:30!

Tell them they met your evil twin.
Had something similar last week. I am in my cleaning clothes. Not pretty. Don't care if I spill bleach. Shower will come later ..... etc.
Guests show up 5 hours early .... same script as scribbles except it was me that that made the early contact and me they heard ranting to husband as they came back in the door for one more question.
I met them at regular check-in time, showered, coiffed, nice dress and said "Welcome - I hear you met my evil twin earlier. I'm the nice one" It became the theme for the whole stay, we had a lot of fun with it and they left notes in the room book for me and my twin.

I agree with Jon. Just act as if they hadn't heard. Also, don't be surprised if they don't show up well after 2:30 and really irk you again.
I'd be more upset that hubby told them 2:30!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I wouldn't have answered the door in the first place, but I'd also have a sign out, no check-ins before 4 p.m.

Breakfast Diva said:
I wouldn't have answered the door in the first place, but I'd also have a sign out, no check-ins before 4 p.m.
The trouble is that they walk in anyway. Door is unlocked because there are existing guests ........ and signs are apparently only there for someone else to pay attention to. The best laid schemes of mice and men ...

Breakfast Diva said:
I'd love that but we have a big house with windows all along the porch -- ie. once you're here, you're looking at me through the window. Hard to ignore

Innkeeper Tourettes
(No I am not kidding, what they used to call "fits" I call Innkeeper Tourette Syndrome, trust me, it happens and can put any sailor to shame)

Breakfast Diva said:
The trouble is that they walk in anyway. Door is unlocked because there are existing guests ........ and signs are apparently only there for someone else to pay attention to. The best laid schemes of mice and men ...
ukmaineiac said:
or the mice and men let them in. the ones from sweden.

Breakfast Diva said:
I'd love that but we have a big house with windows all along the porch -- ie. once you're here, you're looking at me through the window. Hard to ignore
scribbles said:
We need to get you a costume. Would a big bunny be too over the top?

Innkeeper Tourettes
(No I am not kidding, what they used to call "fits" I call Innkeeper Tourette Syndrome, trust me, it happens and can put any sailor to shame).
hahaha I'll keep that excuse in mind if they bring up the ranting. Another thing I thought of is, they didn't see WHO was doing the ranting - I could conceivably blame some other nonexistent "housekeeper" or something. tee hee!

Breakfast Diva said:
scribbles said:
ooh, now we're talking

Tell them they met your evil twin.
Had something similar last week. I am in my cleaning clothes. Not pretty. Don't care if I spill bleach. Shower will come later ..... etc.
Guests show up 5 hours early .... same script as scribbles except it was me that that made the early contact and me they heard ranting to husband as they came back in the door for one more question.
I met them at regular check-in time, showered, coiffed, nice dress and said "Welcome - I hear you met my evil twin earlier. I'm the nice one" It became the theme for the whole stay, we had a lot of fun with it and they left notes in the room book for me and my twin..
thumbs_up.gif
haha! GREAT idea!

Breakfast Diva said:
scribbles said:
I think a playboy bunny outfit might really make them wonder what is going on inside
devil_smile.gif

ha! i like love the evil twin bit.
i did not have guests hear me swear, but i did have unregistered, uninviteds swear at me. these 'visitors' barged in and up 3 flights of stairs and tried to push past me in cleaning mode to see the cupola. no, they weren't future guests, just folks who knew the cupola was there and were insisting it was open for sight seeing. registered guests held the door open for them as they were exiting. they pushed past one of my chambermaids and saw me in cleaning mode with my hair up in the fright zone, ratty clothes, cobwebs deluxe since i was tackling an old cupboard. they literally tried to push me out of the way on the stairs. i stood my ground, broom in hand, and backed them down the three flights of stairs. i hustled them out and they told me they would be sure to complain to the management. i let THEM rant and swear at me, all the way out the door.
later they came by and i was in sweet innkeeper attire, denim and calico and even an apron! (not a cobweb in sight) they started in on my housekeeper (me) and had no clue it was me. i defended her (me) of course and said 'Sorry, we are not open to unregistered guests for security reasons.' and i handed them a rack card and one cookie each.
angry_smile.gif

One time we had past guests stop in mid day in the fall, unannounced, as we were skinning a just butchered steer. Not a pretty sight. They turned tail and left. Never saw them again. Funny that.

One time we had past guests stop in mid day in the fall, unannounced, as we were skinning a just butchered steer. Not a pretty sight. They turned tail and left. Never saw them again. Funny that..
charlie may said:
One time we had past guests stop in mid day in the fall, unannounced, as we were skinning a just butchered steer. Not a pretty sight. They turned tail and left. Never saw them again. Funny that.
Okay it is official Charlie's idea wins, forget the big bunny suit, skin a butchered steer.
shades_smile.gif

One time we had past guests stop in mid day in the fall, unannounced, as we were skinning a just butchered steer. Not a pretty sight. They turned tail and left. Never saw them again. Funny that..
charlie may said:
Okay it is official Charlie's idea wins, forget the big bunny suit, skin a butchered steer.
shades_smile.gif

Or hang a bambi (too many girls named Bambi these days - it would be misinterpreted, although a few of them I know make it tempting) deer from a tree.

charlie may said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
charlie may said:
shades_smile.gif
Hmmm, maybe I should have saved our road kill
omg_smile.gif

Back