Ugh!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, guess what? When we allow guests to resched we explain their cancellation period is for the original rez. So, if they are trying to avoid the fee? Tough toenails.

I don't allow them reschedule in that way, either. But to see them publicizing how to cheat businesses out of money... that bothers me.

I don't allow them reschedule in that way, either. But to see them publicizing how to cheat businesses out of money... that bothers me..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I don't allow them reschedule in that way, either.
I can't imagine a small business putting up with it. Much harder for a huge corporation to monitor.
I guess this is a typical extension of the "me" generation and the push to pressure businesses to give discounts on everything with the "it never hurts to ask" mentality.
Be strong, innkeepers. Be strong.

Hey, guess what? When we allow guests to resched we explain their cancellation period is for the original rez. So, if they are trying to avoid the fee? Tough toenails..
How do you hold them to the original booking date if they contest? I guess the email correspondance would back you up?
RIki

Hey, guess what? When we allow guests to resched we explain their cancellation period is for the original rez. So, if they are trying to avoid the fee? Tough toenails..
How do you hold them to the original booking date if they contest? I guess the email correspondance would back you up?
RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
It's in their updated confirmation email. 'We have changed your reservation dates from...to...per your request. Your original cancellation deposit refund period is still in effect.'

RIki
egoodell said:
RIki
It's in their updated confirmation email. 'We have changed your reservation dates from...to...per your request. Your original cancellation deposit refund period is still in effect.'
Madeleine said:
egoodell said:
RIki
Thank you!

This is how we have it worded in our policies:
Changing Your Reservation
Changes to a reservation 14 days or more from the scheduled date may be made without additional charge with full transfer of deposit.
Changes made less than 14 days before the scheduled date are subject to the above-listed rules of cancellation unless we can rebook the room for that date. Cancellation of the revised reservation at anytime will result in the forfeiture of your full deposit.
There's no way they could pull the crap suggested in that blog.

I'm confused... Madeleine - I've seen you say this before in another thread and I just didn't understand.
" When we allow guests to resched we explain their cancellation period is for the original rez."
AND
"We have changed your reservation dates from...to...per your request. Your original cancellation deposit refund period is still in effect.'"
The way I read it is if someone has a reservation May 15th and they want to move it to June 15th, they are still bound to the 14 days before May 15th to cancel...? So, any cancellation between May 1st and June 15th would cause them to lose their deposit...?

I'm confused... Madeleine - I've seen you say this before in another thread and I just didn't understand.
" When we allow guests to resched we explain their cancellation period is for the original rez."
AND
"We have changed your reservation dates from...to...per your request. Your original cancellation deposit refund period is still in effect.'"
The way I read it is if someone has a reservation May 15th and they want to move it to June 15th, they are still bound to the 14 days before May 15th to cancel...? So, any cancellation between May 1st and June 15th would cause them to lose their deposit...?.
Yes. And Maddie is being nice. I would charge them the cancellation fee if it was after the 15th of May and before the 1st of November.
In the winter we have a more lenient but unwritten policy. We still charge them, but depending on occupancy we may allow them to stay at a different time with the charge being a credit on account.
We also have a policy in place for those who cancel on the last day of cancellation... we warn them that they are subject to a non-refundable deposit in the future (we don't normally take deposits). It keeps away the serial cancellation addicts.

AND
The way I read it is if someone has a reservation May 15th and they want to move it to June 15th, they are still bound to the 14 days before May 15th to cancel...? So, any cancellation between May 1st and June 15th would cause them to lose their deposit...?.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. This was in response to the article telling people to avoid the cancellation charges (full night or whatever) by asking to move their rez out of the cancellation period so they can cancel without paying for the full night.
Whew. So, how it works here...you cancel earlier than the 7 day cancellation period, I charge $25. You cancel inside that period, you are responsible for one night of the stay if I don't rebook. I don't charge to resched, but see next para...
Guest has rez for May 15 and wants to move it to June 15 but it is May 14 when they change their minds? Yes, their cancellation period is one week prior to May 15, not June 15. Guest has rez for May 15 and wants to move it to June 15 and it is May 1 when they change their minds? No charge, we just change it for them.

Changes to a reservation 14 days or more from the scheduled date may be made without additional charge with full transfer of deposit.
Changes made less than 14 days before the scheduled date are subject to the above-listed rules of cancellation unless we can rebook the room for that date. Cancellation of the revised reservation at anytime will result in the forfeiture of your full deposit.
There's no way they could pull the crap suggested in that blog..
Proud Texan said:
Cancellation of the revised reservation at anytime will result in the forfeiture of your full deposit.
That sounds better...cancellation of the revised reservation... I like that.

AND
Yes. And Maddie is being nice. I would charge them the cancellation fee if it was after the 15th of May and before the 1st of November.
In the winter we have a more lenient but unwritten policy. We still charge them, but depending on occupancy we may allow them to stay at a different time with the charge being a credit on account.
We also have a policy in place for those who cancel on the last day of cancellation... we warn them that they are subject to a non-refundable deposit in the future (we don't normally take deposits). It keeps away the serial cancellation addicts.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I hate these people.

AND
Dena said:
AND
The way I read it is if someone has a reservation May 15th and they want to move it to June 15th, they are still bound to the 14 days before May 15th to cancel...? So, any cancellation between May 1st and June 15th would cause them to lose their deposit...?
You hold them to the original date because if they are changing their rez in order to cancel without losing their deposit they will be outwitted.
If they are truly planning to come is should not make any difference.
Maddie held those rooms and refused other booking requests for them so they should be acountable for holding those spots no matter when they come.
RIki

Ooooohhhhh.... I get it now. That is sneaky! *lol* Glad to hear about it from you instead of looking back & saying - "Look what that guest did to me!" I'll be sure to keep a watch for this. Wow...

AND
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I hate these people.
What we send out basically says this....
We reserve the right to require a non-refundable deposit for future reservations in spite of all contrary indications on our website.
The wording "reserve the right" is ambigous enough to let us decide how we want to proceed in the future, but to those who do this serially, they see it as clear cut enough and choose to play their games elsewhere.

There's no way they could pull the crap suggested in that blog..
Proud Texan said:
Cancellation of the revised reservation at anytime will result in the forfeiture of your full deposit.
I like this too. It's fair, and it avoids the confusion of what the wording can mean, and keeping up with original dates and all that. They get to move the reservation once, but none of this repeated changing just to avoid the cancellation deadline.

Back